Bombardier get Crossrail Contract

Good point, jjb. Having the work done in Derby also maintains the skills necessary for this type of manufacture, and Derby has a considerable skill base in the area of aluminium train manufacture. The "learning curve" was, I think, the Electrostars, built in Derby and York by BREL. A York carriage works engineer told me it was a pretty steep curve. Aluminium apparently responds to jig building in a different way to steel, and there was much tinkering with the jigs (by the sound of it, not on a very precise basis) to get the coaches to come out as planned.

I also have reservations about "wrapping things in a union flag", but having watched the general collapse of the highly skilled UK train manufacturing capability over the years, this seems to be something of a welcome reverse.

• RMweb Premium

The radio said that Crossrail would run fro Heathrow to Essex. The Crossrail site says from Maidenhead. How much is going to be new trackage apart from the tunnels?

Ed

Virtually none apart from some sidings and turnbacks and I think a couple of chords.  There's a new freight dive under at the Ealing end of Acton yard and a lot of station and other upgrades.

Jamie

... and Derby has a considerable skill base in the area of aluminium train manufacture. The "learning curve" was, I think, the Electrostars, built in Derby and York by BREL. A York carriage works engineer told me it was a pretty steep curve. Aluminium apparently responds to jig building in a different way to steel, and there was much tinkering with the jigs (by the sound of it, not on a very precise basis) to get the coaches to come out as planned.

Derby gained the experience on the Cathedral jig with Class 158, York debuted with Class 165 on the Minster jig (naturally!).

The radio said that Crossrail would run fro Heathrow to Essex. The Crossrail site says from Maidenhead. How much is going to be new trackage apart from the tunnels?

Ed

Virtually none apart from some sidings and turnbacks and I think a couple of chords.  There's a new freight dive under at the Ealing end of Acton yard and a lot of station and other upgrades.

Jamie

Very little.

There is a completely new stretch of track linking the central tunnelled sections to the route through Docklands to Woolwich, using the the old disused North Woolwich line trackbed.

This is being rebuilt from the new tunnel portal, located to the west of Custom House, running eastwards. The Connaught Tunnel is being rebuilt and increased in size and new tracks will be laid all along the route to the Thames Tunnel portal and new subsurface Woolwich station.

There is a completely new stretch of track linking the central tunnelled sections to the route through Docklands to Woolwich, using the the old disused North Woolwich line trackbed.

This is being rebuilt from the new tunnel portal, located to the west of Custom House, running eastwards. The Connaught Tunnel is being rebuilt and increased in size and new tracks will be laid all along the route to the Thames Tunnel portal and new subsurface Woolwich station.

Sorry; when I said there was very little new track, I wasn't including the reinstatement/rebuilding of old lines.

• RMweb Premium

Also abject apoligies I'd forgotten about that stretch as well.

Jamie

Archived