RMweb

Hornby 14xx

• RMweb Premium

They're easy to remove - but as IG says, the loco will then struggle with anything more than a single coach. I've never tried to add any extra weight but this could be a potential way forward.

There's also the matter of the grooves in the driving wheel flanges - the rear drivers would probably need replacing. 

So do Comet.

Terry

Indeed they do - I described the building of one just before Christmas in the Kitbuilding / Scratchbuilding forum here (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78083-comet-14xx-chassis/). It's excellent and makes for a fairly quick build (but then I work reasonably fast because time is money!) but again don't expect it to pull the wallpaper off the wall!

The prototypes were (are!) pretty sure-footed, but the GWR still felt the need to create an 0-6-0 version for some of the steeper Welsh branches!

Recurring topic. The easy fix (removing traction-tyred wheelset from the equation) can be found here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/20230-airfix-14xx/?p=1315517

OK this bit "The Airfix chassis drives via a universal joint to the front axle, traction tyres are on the rear axle.

The Dapol/Hornby chassis drives from a crappy motor to the rear axle, traction tyres are on the front axle.

Therefore, you can swap wheels from either type to eradicate traction tyres."

SO? Having found a body I could buy a chassis............There are a couple on EBAY-Dapol but the tyres are on the rear axle? and get a Hornby wheelset from AC. Add a bit of lead (how crappy is that motor?) and have a reasonable, quick loco.

OK this bit "The Airfix chassis drives via a universal joint to the front axle, traction tyres are on the rear axle.

The Dapol/Hornby chassis drives from a crappy motor to the rear axle, traction tyres are on the front axle.

Therefore, you can swap wheels from either type to eradicate traction tyres."

SO? Having found a body I could buy a chassis............There are a couple on EBAY-Dapol but the tyres are on the rear axle? and get a Hornby wheelset from AC. Add a bit of lead (how crappy is that motor?) and have a reasonable, quick loco.

I beg to differ about the Dapol / Hornby motor being crappy. For its size it has a lot of torque and is cheap to get hold of. The fact that they're used in  quite a few models must mean something! The traction tyres on my Dapol 14xx are on the back driven axle. My Hornby example doesn't have any as its running on romfords. Can just about pull 3 Bachmann mk1's up the club inclines. (1in35)

The body mouldings are certainly 'reasonable' though those among us who are picky can certainly find things to quibble about.

The worst glitches are at the front end: the chimney is far too anaemic (the real job is quite chunky, actually) and the smokebox door looks like nothing that ever came out of Swindon. Oh, and the ATC battery box needs adding to the rear of the step on the driver's side of the cab.

That said, it's not at all a bad job as it comes. However, if you do feel the need to fiddle then Mainly Trains do a nice Rice-inspired set of castings to improve it; they even claim you can fit them without any serious repainting, though I doubt if I could be that neat myself!

I beg to differ about the Dapol / Hornby motor being crappy. For its size it has a lot of torque and is cheap to get hold of. The fact that they're used in  quite a few models must mean something! The traction tyres on my Dapol 14xx are on the back driven axle. My Hornby example doesn't have any as its running on romfords. Can just about pull 3 Bachmann mk1's up the club inclines. (1in35)

I agree with Sam about the motor.  I think that the Hornby 14XX motor is much the same as fitted to newer B12s and older West Country/Battle of Britain locos.  Having one of each, the motors are quite smooth and quiet and can haul a reasonable load - 7 Bachmann Mk1s on a reasonably level track.

The body mouldings are certainly 'reasonable' though those among us who are picky can certainly find things to quibble about.

The worst glitches are at the front end: the chimney is far too anaemic (the real job is quite chunky, actually) and the smokebox door looks like nothing that ever came out of Swindon. Oh, and the ATC battery box needs adding to the rear of the step on the driver's side of the cab.

That said, it's not at all a bad job as it comes. However, if you do feel the need to fiddle then Mainly Trains do a nice Rice-inspired set of castings to improve it; they even claim you can fit them without any serious repainting, though I doubt if I could be that neat myself!

Here's a picture of my new front end using the Mainly Trains castings. It's a fairly easy job and as you can see no serious repainting of the body is required, just the bits you stick on. You also get a nice back-head.

Ray.

Here's a picture of my new front end using the Mainly Trains castings. It's a fairly easy job and as you can see no serious repainting of the body is required, just the bits you stick on. You also get a nice back-head.

Ray.

Detail pack required! That looks like the front of a 14xx, unlike Airfix's effort.

Ray.

That's a nice job, and it certainly shows what a difference the castings make.

This, of course, is the point at which the various minor 'adjustments' made on the original moulding all go slightly wrong; the smokebox door is slightly too small in order to make room for the overscale handrail stanchion above it, so when the correct size of door is fitted there's not quite enough room to fit the stanchion without a bit more fiddling.

When I had one to play with I cursed a bit and then ended up fitting Comet stanchions (or 'handrail knobs' as they call them!) instead of the originals, and it does make a difference. I suppose I could have replaced the handrail too - it's certainly a bit too thick - but in the end I coldn't be bothered and just gently reamed out the holes in the stanchions to match (medium stanchions for the front and sides of the smokebox, long for the ones further back.)

I agree with Sam about the motor.  I think that the Hornby 14XX motor is much the same as fitted to newer B12s and older West Country/Battle of Britain locos.  Having one of each, the motors are quite smooth and quiet and can haul a reasonable load - 7 Bachmann Mk1s on a reasonably level track.

Thanks. This is the way I will go now as it's less lifetime used up on the Dapol Chassis rewheeled. If the motor is as good as you say then it's perfect for occasional light trains.

• 1 month later...

Archived