Fairbourne - managed retreat from the sea

Coombe Barton

• RMweb Premium

Didn't see the full programme only the briefer (I assume) version on the local news. I'm not sure the issue is totally cut and dried as the managed retreat apparently isn't part of the Welsh Assembly strategy. Indeed the boffin interviewed pointed out that in the case of Fairbourne that the required full studies had not been undertaken so it would be most difficult for a judgement to be reached.

Two things occurred to me later. The first being that the announcement was made on the same day that Cameron was making his 'whatever' it takes speech, and wondering if the timing was significant and how one would affect the other. Secondly assuming a worst case scenario and Fairbourne is left to the mercies of tide and storm would the altered topography have implications for Barmouth Bridge?

Most of the areas in Wales which may fall under the 'managed retreat' rubric are what are known in Welsh as 'morfa' (as in Morfa Mawddach) - literally 'sea place'. Within historic times, for instance, the sea came to the foot of the cliff on which Harlech Castle is built, so really all that's happening is that the sea is returning to places where it was not that long ago.

The sea has at times flooded the land and later retreated from it along here for generations; but it was stated quite clearly in the programme that rail and road routes would be protected regardless.

Having been involved in the preparation of the document in N.W.Wales then I'd suggest that the media coverage of the issue hasn't been that accurate (no surprise there!)

As for managed retreat not being part of WG strategy, then I'd suggest people look at the cover of the West of Wales Shoreline Management Plan 2 and note the logos on the front!

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the added clarity John. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Fairbourne Railway will fall outside a 'protected rail route'.

Perhaps it will depend on how much support it gets from bodies like the Local Authority, hopefully recognising the contribution that it makes to local tourism etc.?

Perhaps it will depend on how much support it gets from bodies like the Local Authority, hopefully recognising the contribution that it makes to local tourism etc.?

Somehow I don't think that the Fairborne was included in the list of protected assets - they were talking about the Cambrian Coast line!

Archived