S&C Bibligography inc. videography & assorted media

Allegheny1600

Hi all,

I've been thinking about starting this topic for some time now so lets get started;

Books;

"Settle - Carlisle Centenary" 100 years in pictures of England's highest main line railway. D. Joy & W.R. Mitchell (b&w)

"Settle - Carlisle in Colour" David Joy (Colour!)

"On the Settle & Carlisle Route" T.G. Flinders (b&w) (imho - not that good!)

I thought I'd also got one called something like "Diesels over the roof of England" but I can't find it!

Videos/DVD's;

Settle & Carlisle then & now PSOV dvd 61mins mostly or all colour (inc. vintage!)

Associated lines;

"Through Limestone Hills" by Bill Hudson, a terrific book about the Midland's sadly closed line through the Peak district.

Freight in the Peak District GRH Video 75mins c.1990's.

These are just from my own small collection, I would be very happy to learn of more, especially any video/dvd's there may be.

I've certainly borrowed others from my club's library but fail to remember titles.

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff's initial contribution - originally put in the Lounge in reply to John's idea:

Here's a few books to get us started. These are all S&C related. If others want to make their own recommendations, put them on here, say which region/area they cover and - when there've been a number of contributions - I'll sort through and put them in one master post.

Stations and Structures of the Settle & Carlisle Railway   by Anderson and Fox

Rails in the Fells   by David Jenkinson

London Midland Steam: Skipton-Carlisle  by Leslie and Short

Steam Over the Roof of England   by   Michael Welch

London Midland: Steam in the Northern Fells    by Derek Cross

Settle & Carlisle:  Steam Finale   by Michael Welch

The Settle to Carlisle: A Tribute   by Roger Siviter

Jeff

Great idea John and one that I am sure will grow like the Lounge with more material being added and questions asked and answers given freely and with humor. Jeff has add as well so you have a good list for anyone new to the S&C, Midland, LMS, BR, over one of the nicest Rail Routes in the Country.

Well done John :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

All S&C but may also include other bits of the Midland.

North of Leeds (The Leeds Settle - Carlisle Line and its branches)   Peter E Baughan  pub Roundhouse 1966   A 450 page history of the route.

Past and Present The Settle and Carlisle Line  David J Williams

Various books of Eric Treacy's Photos.

Settle - Carlisle Railway  Mitchell and Joy pub Dalesman

Operation Midland Passenger Services 1955   includes St Pancras - Leeds - Carlisle     Webb and Beckett Express publishing   includes carriage workings, train formations, timetables etc.

Midland Railway Working Timetable of Passenger Trains October 1922    covers all Midland lines, my own copy.  The S&C part of this  and a copy of the freight train WTT for the S&C are available at:  http://steverabone.com/Hellifield%20Website/timetables_.htm

Midland Railway Timetables July to September 1903  reprint by Ian Allan circa 1969

The Midland Railway A Chronology John Gough   lists all the dates of everything Midland, also contains Track Diagrams and gradient profiles for all of the Midland

The Midland's Settle and Carlisle Distance Diagrams  Cumbrian Railways Association - reprints from the originals

Midland Record - various issues - edited by Essery, pub Wild Swan

The Midland Compounds O S Nock  David and Charles 1964  contains details of various tests undertaken of Compounds on the S&C in the early days of the LMS as well as various bits about them in service on the S&C as well as elsewhere.

Also, I think every book on Midland locos, coaches and wagons has references to the S&C. 

Historical Railway Modelling  David Jenkinson pub Pendragon   much of this book is actuually about the S&C.

Lastly, just about every history of the Midland includes sections on the S&C.

Edit to add:  If you can find them BR working timetables (freight and passenger) and the relevant Sectional Appendix  (mine is the London Midland Region Northern Section December 1977  version) give a huge amount of information.

Public timetables can also prove useful, both the various BR ones issued at least twice a year and earlier LMS ones - I was left a copy of the LMS Summer 1939 public timetables by a relative who was an ex railwayman.

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How about the following:

Video/DVD: The Long Drag by Kingfisher Films

Books:

LM steam in the northern fells and LM steam Skipton to Carlisle both Bradford Barton

Diesels over the Settle Carlisle by Walton

The Settle Carlisle route revisited by Flinders

The Settle and Carlisle Railway by OS Nock

The scenic Settle and Carlisle Railway by Donald Binns

Settle and Carlisle the twilight years by David Roberts

Shanty Life on the Settle to Carlisle Railway WR Mitchell

Footplate tales of the Settle to Carlisle Railway WR Mitchell and P Fox

The story of the Settle to Carlisle line by Frederick Houghton and Hubert Foster - the original history of the line published 1948

Railways in the Northern dales: the Settle to Carlisle line by Wyvern Publications

Settle and Carlisle revival: the line that refused to die by Brian Sharpe

Ganger, guard and signalman: working memories of the S&C by Dick Fawcett

Railway World special: the Settle and Carlisle route

To kill a railway and The line that refused to die by Stan Abbott

Garsdale by WR Mitchell

Dalesman publications have produced several volumes all very similar but with minor changes to different editions

The colour of steam: London Midland in the Fells by Derek Huntriss

The long Drag: Settle to Carlisle portfolio by Gavin Morrison

Settle and Carlsile steam finale by Michael Welch

Settle Carlisle in Colour by David Joy

portrait of the Settle to Carlisle by David Joy

Modelling Historic Railways David Jenkinson is a mild rehash of Historical railway modelling listed above

Finally:

The Wensleydale Branch by CT Goode

I Also have some bookmarks to a number of websites with interesting materials but don't have access on the iPad currently.

I can post something in a few days or so.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Stephen. A good list - and I've only got about 4 of them!!

Come on you S&C fans..... or Midland, if you want to post Peak District etc.stuff/ L&Y etc, please do.

Just identify the region and submit your list. Open to all Lunesters - if it gets too congested/muddled we can re-sort the thread.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'll now add a couple more - acquisitions over the last week: (S&C)

A Cumbrian Railway Album by Leslie R Gilpin (Cumbrian Railways Association, 2011)

Railway World Special: The Settle & Carlisle Route (48 page booket, Ian Allan, 1984)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A Cumbrian Railway Album is a stunning collection of photos and probably one of my favourites (possibly biased by the photos of Sandside in it). Les Gilpin's new book, North Lancashire Railway Album is also great and would be of interest to Jamie I imagine, as there are a lot of photos of the Morecambe electrics, Green Ayre Station, etc.

A lot of the books I have are either in lines in Cumbria or ex L&Y so not sure if they (especially the latter) would be right to pop in here. The North Lancashire one just fits in because it covers as far across as Settle Junction (which confusingly is in Yorkshire and always was, I believe)

• RMweb Premium

A Cumbrian Railway Album is a stunning collection of photos and probably one of my favourites (possibly biased by the photos of Sandside in it). Les Gilpin's new book, North Lancashire Railway Album is also great and would be of interest to Jamie I imagine, as there are a lot of photos of the Morecambe electrics, Green Ayre Station, etc.

A lot of the books I have are either in lines in Cumbria or ex L&Y so not sure if they (especially the latter) would be right to pop in here. The North Lancashire one just fits in because it covers as far across as Settle Junction (which confusingly is in Yorkshire and always was, I believe)

Post your list, Jason.

I think we'll end up with a predominantly S&C/Lancashire list of books/DVDs, but ALL areas of Lunester interest can be catered for here.

Please put your area of interest (eg. S&C, L&Y, Southern) somewhere near the top of the post so it's easy to sort out relevance.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01rwh55/Nairn_Across_Britain_From_Leeds_into_Scotland/

There's  some good footage of the S&C on this video which is on the iPlayer at the moment.

An excellent film from 1972. Hardly a foreign car in sight - lots of Morris Minors, Minis etc.

A different world - I like the way the old lady pops out of her house at Settle at 5'20" and looks at the cameras/presenter as if to say "what the hell are you doing here?"

Thanks for the link - no doubt it'll disappear from iPlayer within a couple of weeks.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the mention, yes I got given a copy of the North |lancashire Album it's a great book.   I'll have to go and try and get near my book shelves and copy down what I've got, Many have already been mentoned but there are others.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

With books I'd find it useful if there was some idea of the sort of content, e.g. is it mostly photos, history, technical information etc.

For ALL the books I've listed you can assume a predominance of photographs.

These are generally accompanied by detailed captions with location, loco number/type, date of photo etc.

Most S&C books tend to be in "photo album" format.

Some include very detailed plans/history/economics etc of the line: in my list, the Jenkinson and Anderson/Fox books include a lot of this.

It's always a good idea - if possible - to have a scan of these books before you buy them. There are many good ones and a few duffers. I think you can rely on all the books referenced here being on the "good" side of average.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Amazon and similar usually contain an overview of content type; if people were to add it here, there is a danger of it having to be an overview and review of each title and that would put people (well, me for one) of adding titles

• RMweb Premium

Amazon and similar usually contain an overview of content type; if people were to add it here, there is a danger of it having to be an overview and review of each title and that would put people (well, me for one) of adding titles

Yes, you have a point there Jason.

I suppose what this thread is trying to do is point people in the right direction, resources-wise, based on material that we've found useful. And nothing more, as we're not trying to give reviews.

If anybody wishes to give more in-depth info, good for them.

Jeff

Archived