Model Railway Structures

wizmacnz

While I'm waiting for my footbridge prototype to arrive , due first week in April, I thought I would slap some paint on the platform canopy assembly I posted about above. 

The canopy was already assembled and had no prep work done to the plastic before painting. I would recommend painting the components before assembly, and as printed plastic has a slight texture to it (not like smooth and shiny plastic kits), I would also recommend a light sand with wet and dry to anything that you want to have a smooth finish. The world is not really smooth and shiny and in some cases the plastic texture is a positive advantage.

I used what ever paint I had to hand. The cream is Dulux house paint. I guess what I'm saying here is that this is the worst that it could look. I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done by a skilled model maker.

post-18634-0-71321800-1395461088.jpg

post-18634-0-13472200-1395461111.jpg

post-18634-0-24887400-1395461150.jpg

I've now created some bulk packs on Shapeways to improve the per item cost. If you have plans to build platform canopies for your layout, please PM me and I will see if I can customise the bulk packs to suit the quantities that you need. Also if you want a "customised" canopy design just drop me a PM.

Peter

• Like 2

For scratchbuilders I have started to add a range of 3D printed windows. First off the block is a simple sash window 900 x 1200 (12mm x 16mm).

post-18634-0-02550600-1395829068.jpg

I can make these any size you want ( the computer model is parametric so I've done all the hard work).

If you want a particular size just let me know.

A ten pack of the 900 x 1200 is US$6.00 in Shapeways white strong and flexible polished finish or $5.50 in the unpolished finish. The polished finish is recommended if you intend to paint the windows.

• Like 3

For those into Facebook, thanks to the technical expertise of my son who came to dinner last night, I now have a special Facebook page at

https://www.facebook.com/modelrailwaystructures

This will have latest updates on the shop, products under development news and give people a chance to provide feedback on what they would like for future products.  I also welcome comments there on the likes dislikes of the product range.

Peter

14 different types of 3D printed doors have been released today.

post-18634-0-05803200-1395908401.jpg

These can be made to suit any size you want. Each type is illustrated as a 760mm, 810mm, 900mm and 1000mm wide door, 1980mm high (or two of these when double doors). The pricing is to give an indication of the cost. I will make up individual sets on a customer by customer basis. For example a small terraced house might require a 900mm front door and 5 or 6 760mm internal doors and a 810 back door. As the computer models are parametric it is easy to adjust any size to suit.

The installation method is as per the windows. Cut a hole in the card or plastic wall and glue the door into the opening using the architrave flange on the printed door to hold it in place.

Peter

• Like 2

For scratchbuilders I have started to add a range of 3D printed windows. First off the block is a simple sash window 900 x 1200 (12mm x 16mm).

attachicon.gif674x501_1814515_2428102_1395828533.jpg

I can make these any size you want ( the computer model is parametric so I've done all the hard work).

If you want a particular size just let me know.

A ten pack of the 900 x 1200 is US$6.00 in Shapeways white strong and flexible polished finish or $5.50 in the unpolished finish. The polished finish is recommended if you intend to paint the windows.

Peter, these look great!

I'm a fan of the Scalescenes products and wonder if you've considered creating the windows used in those? Seems to me these would add considerable appeal, and I personally would prefer them to the Brassmasters option, seems they would be rather easier to integrate with the architrave flange included...

• Like 1

Peter, these look great!

I'm a fan of the Scalescenes products and wonder if you've considered creating the windows used in those? Seems to me these would add considerable appeal, and I personally would prefer them to the Brassmasters option, seems they would be rather easier to integrate with the architrave flange included...

Hi Ian

If you tell me which kit or kits you are interested in I will have a look and see what is possible.

Peter

Peter you've got some great stuff here and once we get Waverley off the blocks I'll be getting in touch.

Off topic I know but have you thought of offering a service to architects to produce their 3-D models for housing developments and so on - it would be a fraction of the cost of hand-built which is how they currently do it, and for some of the big exciting commercial schemes I would thin you could find a ready market

ATB

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind comments, I look forward to you becoming a customer.

On your off topic comment, well I do own a small architectural business here in New Zealand. Unfortunately clients don't really pay to have physical models built so much these days. It's all done in the virtual world which is much quicker to adjust, show different options etc. The two images below are what I was working on this afternoon, to show a client a couple of different options for their building.

post-18634-0-32595600-1395997377.jpgpost-18634-0-91899300-1395997392.jpg

Peter

• Like 1

Hello Peter,

Some excellent designs here, but I am wondering why you have chosen 3D printing as the best way of manufacturing some of these. Given the cost differences, would it not be far cheaper and more effective to simply laser cut the flat parts? The windows and doors in particular, and the majority of the canopy parts, and the footbridge would all lend themselves well to being laser cut acrylic or card, and would cost a fraction of what a 3D print currently does, and would have a better quality finish without the 'stepping'.

Also, for the other Peter (this could get confusing), a lot of architectural modelmaking is indeed done using 3D printed parts nowadays, but the same issue applies - only where it is beneficial in terms of quality, time, and cost, is it used. I was working on an enormous site plan model a few months ago where for the necessity of speed (it was a 20sq metre model that had to be built in 36 hours) all the buildings were 3D printed then adorned with metal etches to represent the more complex surface detail.

Most architectural models will often be a mix of hand made, laser cut, etched and 3D printed parts - whatever the best way is to represent a particular feature. 3D printing is not always cheaper though, it is a bit of a myth that the technology is a panacea for modelmaking - it is a useful tool that modelmakers have added to their toolkit, but is used alongside other cheaper, faster, better methods depending on the specific model.

In fact, despite such digital advances, the need for architectural modelmakers has never been higher - the major firms are falling over each other to recruit and here in the UK there are significantly more jobs than there are applicants.

David

Hi David

All I can say is it's been at least 15 years since we have been asked by a client to build a physical model.

Laser cutting is 2 dimensional and has to be layered up to produce a 3 dimensional effect. It is also not really any cheaper than 3d printing and 3d printing costs are falling all the time.  

To make the sash window for example would require several laser cuts laminated together, whereas  the printed window is already a finished item. The platform canopy roofs could be constructed in card or sheet plastic, but would require some modelling skill to put it together. If you have the skill and the time then build your roof this way. If you are an idiot model maker like me and you would rather spend more time playing trains than cutting and laminating bits of card and plastic then buy one of my roofs that has all the tricky time consuming stuff already done. 

Stepping is not really an issue unless you have curves being built up across the printing plane. The minimum printer layer thickness is currrently 0.12mm but is improving all the time. My canopy supports have round columns and there is no stepping. Printed plastic does have a texture but then so does wood and card. The pictures of the assembled canopy were taken without carrying out any prep work, just sprayed on some primer and painted it. When I place it next to a Superquick platform canopy that took me much longer to build, the Superquick looks like a toy.

The first printed footbridge will be with me on Monday. I accept that it could be built using etches, card etc maybe a casting for the curved brackets, and that the materials would cost less than a 3D printed model, however the 3D printed bridge will come out of the box just needing to be painted. If you want to build a model of a bridge, then build a model of a bridge, but if you want something that will provide you with a bridge without investing the time, or if your modelling skills are not the best, then buy a bridge.

The current projected cost of the footbridge is about 19 pounds 25p, which is very cost competitive with other "off the shelf" model footbridges. Also if someone wants me to add a couple of steps or change the span slightly then it can be done. You can't do that with Dapol, Bachmann or Hornby.

My products aren't really aimed at the Allan Downes modelers of this world, the're more aimed at what Railway Modeler used to call the "average modeler" or below.  Mind you even Allan Downes buys ready made windows.

As a final note..take a look at the spaceframe further up this thread and try building that.  The model is printed with 0.7mm thick cylinders printed across the print plane. Take a close look at the photo's and see if you can see any stepping.

I'm glad there's still a thriving architectural model making business in the UK. I don't think I have the skills required to apply for any of the vacant jobs.

Peter

Peter I do think you're onto something here.

I've recently bought some resin models - Coaling ash and water towers. Each one cost a large chunk of money, and they all needed some adjustment done which is a bit of a challenge with Resin.

£20.00 for a good footbridge isn't out of court at all - I've just bought a rake of Hornby Mk1 s from the Railroad range and these weren't a lot short of £ 20.00 each.  Their Gresleys and Pullmans are nearly £40 a pop, so given that you're going to see the scenery whatever is running, I do think it's worth paying money for a quality product.

By the time Waverley is ready for buildings, I'm sure you'll have some even more impressive items to show, and if you can develop a range of components that can be mixed and matched - exactly as most builders do anyway, then I'm sure you'll have a good business as it will allow 'average' modellers to build very convincing, and individual scenes.

Peter

I've just realised that I referred to a photograph of the space frame in my last post, where as all I have posted here is the computer rendering. So here is a photo I took of the spaceframe undergoing structural testing.

post-18634-0-92559500-1396015203.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Peter for your vote of confidence. 

I hope I'm designing things that people will want. My main driver has been building my own layout and identifying the things that I want. I have an 8 platform station to build, hence my first focus on platform canopies. Also have a representation of a large town to construct, hence windows doors, and chimneys. The footbridge was a little diversion. My station is going to have subways that I have yet to model.

Peter

Everything I model, I model in the computer at full size and then scale the finished computer model down to the size I want to print. To get to 4mm scale, I scale down by a factor of 0.01316, I number I know off by heart now. (It should be 0.013158, but the software doesn't support that many decimal places. I'm sure no one will notice the difference.)

I design everything so that it can be built at Shapeways with a material they call "white strong and flexible" which is a sort of nylon and as they say is white strong and flexible. This is the cheapest material to build in at $1.40 per cubic centimeter plus $1.50 per item handling charge. (An item could be 10 chimney stacks or 1, the maximum being what can be printed in a single print operation.) The downside of the material is that it has a current minimum printable thickness of what scales up to about 55mm in the real world. It also has a minimum separation distance of about 40mm between printed items. I struggled  for a while with my station valancing, where I seemed to manage to fool the automated checking process at Shapeways into thinking it was printable on what I call my Type 2 valance and get printed, whereas the Type 3 passed the automated check and then failed the manual check that they do just before printing. The printed Type 2 was perfectly acceptable to my eyes but I couldn't persuade them to print the Type 3. In the end I went back and changed the design of all the valancing.

I can select the models to be printed in another material. What shapeways call "Frosted Ultra Detail" is a printed acrylic that can be printed down to about the same in N Scale as the other material can in OO. The material cost is $3.49 per cubic centimeter plus a handling charge of $5 per "item".  The cost is probably not significantly different given that N scale items will have a quarter the volume of printed material and that the item handling charge can be split across more printed objects (10 chimney stacks or 20 for example). The downside of the material is that it is much more brittle and that things printed with small cross sectional area could be very fragile.

I'm sorry for the very long winded reply. The answer therefore is yes, I can provide items at N gauge, but with the above reservations.  I'll try re-scaling and uploading some items over the next couple of days. Anything that passes the online print-ability checks I will make available for purchase.

Peter

OK ...I've looked further at the N gauge issue. The chimney stacks are immediately available for purchase. At present there is a pack of 6 available but as these are small chimney stacks I think it will be a better deal in packs of 12. I will update this latter today.

The lattice footbridge

674x501_1821663_2445897_1396057446.jpg

Is going to be available in the Frosted Ultra Detail material. Projected price around £9.60.

I want to have a printed prototype in my hands before releasing it for sale. The FUD material is brittle by comparison with the material the OO scale material is printed in and I want to be sure it will be fit for purpose.

Peter