RMweb

A speedometer for the layout?

Speed = distance / time

Measure the distance, say 1 meter and time how long the train takes to travel it,

To get scale distance the divide the result by your scale, eg 76 for 00

Someone will pop up in a bit to tell me I don't remember my physics homework properly...

Nigel Burkin did an article about speedometers a couple of years back one of the mags, probably BRM? Was a plug in device with a digital readout of speed. Was thinking myself could be useful for dcc prog of max speeds... Sorry don't recall which mag but someone on here might...

M

A few years ago Roy Jackson tested & described an imported American digital speedometer on the Retford model. 

An article was featured in the Model Railway Journal when 60027 "MERLIN" attained the world speed record between Babworth and Retford (North). The Speedo is accurate & is still in use. Sorry I'm not sure which MRJ it is in. Still does. Morning Johnathan!  ISSUE 159

Edited by Lightning

Roughly, in 4mm, a foot per second is 52mph.

60mph is about 14 inches per second

30 mph -7 inches per second

It 's slower than most people think

There was an article in RM in the 80s with a table which expanded on this - it's somewhere around but it will mean plowing through all the old copies underneath the layout so may take some time....

There was an article in RM in the 80s with a table which expanded on this - it's somewhere around but it will mean plowing through all the old copies underneath the layout so may take some time....

The table is easy to rebuild using a spreadsheet. Does anyone want it?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A slightly expanded table would be useful although as has been suggested I could probably work something out in Excel.

I wonder how accurately enough we can measure time to get other than a fairly basic idea of the speed especially as I presume the time has to be measured between two fixed locations with the loco already travelling at the desired speed when it passes the first and not starting from stationary. I think it may require some electronics to do the job properly.

I use a stop watch (cheap these days) and a fixed, measured distance. It's quite easy to get reliable results on a continuous circuit, but point to point layouts will have problems (especially small ones). Before the introduction of speedometers, the usual way to measure speed was the time between quarter mile posts. (Sherlock Holmes used the distance between telegraph poles in one of the stories, but the likelihood of these being 100% consistent is low IMHO.)

There is an error associated with all measurement techniques, so the results should always be expressed as a value with error range. But really in modelling does it matter so much? If the speed is within 10% of 'truth' and the relative speeds of different movements are maintained, as in the 110kph max train goes at half the rate of the 225kph capable train when both are running at full speed, that will do.

Where our movement modelling is often seriously adrift is in acceleration. I have seen many otherwise well modelled layouts demonstrate accelerations that belong only in motor sports or on aircraft carrier decks.

• RMweb Gold

There is an error associated with all measurement techniques, so the results should always be expressed as a value with error range. But really in modelling does it matter so much? If the speed is within 10% of 'truth' and the relative speeds of different movements are maintained, as in the 110kph max train goes at half the rate of the 225kph capable train when both are running at full speed, that will do.

Noooooooo!!!!!

Spent last week on an ISO15189 course - spent a whole afternoon on uncertainty of measurement

Came on here to return to sanity. :no:  :no:  :no:

Phil

Noooooooo!!!!!

Spent last week on an ISO15189 course - spent a whole afternoon on uncertainty of measurement

Came on here to return to sanity. :no:  :no:  :no:

Phil

Only an afternoon? Tolerances are fundamental in engineering.....

• Like 1

Approximate speed calculator for common scales.

attachicon.gifApproximate Prototype speed calculator for common scales.pdf

Thanks - I managed half a dozen RMs but ended up rereading the articles!!

If you've got this month's, there is an article on lever frames - a repeat from one I read this afternoon!!

Edited by Bill Radford

• RMweb Gold

Only an afternoon? Tolerances are fundamental in engineering.....

Well - there's a high degree of probability that it was a period of time somewhere between 3hrs 40 and 3 hrs 50 minutes long....!!!

Havent calibrated my watch recently however so that statement may not stand scrutiny.

Phil

Which is why you don't want to get over-excited over the absolute value of the scale speed you are operating at. To take a steam age example, if your unfitted heavy is plodding along somewhere between 20 and 25mph on the running lines, that's going to look OK. What will look wrong though, is the all too frequently seen acceleration from that running speed to rest in about three seconds. It needs a minute or more to be realistic. Even the crappiest timekeeper won't affect that representation: it could be guessed at with a sand flow egg timer!

I use Spikes on my layout spaced out at 5 inch intervals. In HO, 5 inches travelled in 5 secs - 5 mph, 10 inches in 5 seconds is 10 mph etc. My spikes are painted with every fourth one a different colour to represent the 20mph marks.

You can change the spike spacing to 5.75 inch spacing in OO or 2.75 inch for N scale. The spikes represent survey pegs that are usually left to rot for many years but quite obvious. The faster you go, the more pegs you cover in 5 seconds in multiples of 5 mph which is what most speed limits have. I have a full story about the idea on http://xdford.digitalzones.com/modelrr10.htm but as my server does not like hot linking, you will have to copy the site manually onto another aspect of the browser.

Hope this helps

Regards from Oz

Trevor Gibbs Melbourne Australia

Edited by xdford

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Here is a relatively straightforward Excel file you can use to calculate speed

Just input your scale and track distance you wish to measure over and you will get an indication of the number of seconds to travel that distance in your chosen scale

Bullock's patented scale model relative velocity calculator.xlsx

Feel free to download and have fun - no speeding!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock