RMweb

Better sound for your Bachmann Deltic

legomanbiffo

And me also,

Looks like another trip to Chez Steve, for a refit!

At least it's a nice day out for me,

Having heard the early Earth Movers at the 'Manchester Buzz Garridge' show a few weeks ago, all I can say is Want One!

- No actually, I'll be wanting quite few when they come available!

Keep up the good work, Charlie and crew!

Regards,

Alan.

Can't wait for these new speakers. The method showen on here works great but compared the the fantastic Dapol 52 I ordered from DC kits with biffo sound fitted it's just drowned out. looking forward to these earth movers coming out and one finding its way into a deltic or two

• 1 month later...

For those interested in making comparisons I have posted a video of my Bachmann Deltic fitted with a LokSound V4 chip running on analogue DC.  It came from Coastal DCC loaded with one of their Sounds from the Coasts projects.  Having researched this thread and others I have fitted two box speakers from YouChoos in the tanks - a very straightforward operation with minimal alterations to the locomotive, requiring mostly patience.  I think a good outcome.

Whilst putting this little post together it becomes obvious that the choice of recording device (digital camera) and the playback machine (Computer) are as critical to the perceived sound quality as are the speakers used in the locomotive.

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For those interested in making comparisons I have posted a video of my Bachmann Deltic fitted with a LokSound V4 chip running on analogue DC.  It came from Coastal DCC loaded with one of their Sounds from the Coasts projects.  Having researched this thread and others I have fitted two box speakers from YouChoos in the tanks - a very straightforward operation with minimal alterations to the locomotive, requiring mostly patience.  I think a good outcome.

Whilst putting this little post together it becomes obvious that the choice of recording device (digital camera) and the playback machine (Computer) are as critical to the perceived sound quality as are the speakers used in the locomotive.

Regards

Ray

Nice layout :)

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just completed fitting my first Deltic with sound and have to say that the Legoman sound  project is SUPERB - by far the best sound project in my fleet. Its doesnt just sound like a Deltic -  it moves like one as well. 

I haven't fitted 'Earth Movers' - 'just' a Zimo 3D mounted dumbo beneath the No1 end fans and a small YouChoose base reflex in the fuel tank. I tried various combinations of speaker before fitting the chip and with the combo I have used there is plenty of low down bass - certainly enough to attract the attention of domestic authority. To put it another way it caused Mrs P to holler up the stairs 'What the hell is that noise!' :)

• Like 2

Just completed fitting my first Deltic with sound and have to say that the Legoman sound  project is SUPERB - by far the best sound project in my fleet. Its doesnt just sound like a Deltic -  it moves like one as well. 

I haven't fitted 'Earth Movers' - 'just' a Zimo 3D mounted dumbo beneath the No1 end fans and a small YouChoose base reflex in the fuel tank. I tried various combinations of speaker before fitting the chip and with the combo I have used there is plenty of low down bass - certainly enough to attract the attention of domestic authority. To put it another way it caused Mrs P to holler up the stairs 'What the hell is that noise!' :)

Ah.........Women !

They just don't understand :onthequiet: 

Ah.........Women !

They just don't understand :onthequiet:

Best hope SWMBO doesn't see this!

Video ?

Please ?

• RMweb Gold

Best hope SWMBO doesn't see this!

Video ?

Please ?

Oh she won't ever read RMweb - far too busy on the web perusing handbags and cosmetics!. Strange and expensive interests  ;) Will try a video at the weekend but given that I usually struggle with photo's and have never posted a video before please dont hold your breath!

• 1 month later...

Good Evening,

Thought it was time for an update on all things Deltic! I have done two sound fits with EM2 speakers in Deltics recently. The first is commercially available now with a single EM2 fitting.

The second, oh dear, the second one was a "wonder if we can get away it" and we did! 2x EM2 speakers, effectively 4 cones fitted in one Bachmann Deltic and wired to two independent chips. The results speak for themselves! Two independently powered speaker systems sounding and "feeling" like two Napier Engines! Extra weight has been fitted else where to compensate for all that milling. 

This little monster will be doing the rounds at exhibitions shortly should you wish to run it past your eardrums! This really will frustrate the pompous.

The Deltic has entered the building, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Edited by Steve Brammer
  • Like 3

Good Evening,

Thought it was time for an update on all things Deltic! I have done two sound fits with EM2 speakers in Deltics recently. The first is commercially available now with a single EM2 fitting.

The second, oh dear, the second one was a "wonder if we can get away it" and we did! 2x EM2 speakers, effectively 4 cones fitted in one Bachmann Deltic and wired to two independent chips. The results speak for themselves! Two independently powered speaker systems sounding and "feeling" like two Napier Engines! Extra weight has been fitted else where to compensate for all that milling. 

This little monster will be doing the rounds at exhibitions shortly should you wish to run it past your eardrums! This really will frustrate the pompous.

See the Supersonic Deltic at York.     Charlie

Good Evening,

Would you say this is P4 sound Steve? :jester:

Hard hat, coat and I'm outta here :yes:

Edit adds :jester: emoji, just in case!

Edited by leopardml2341

Would you say this is P4 sound Steve? :jester:

Hard hat, coat and I'm outta here :yes:

Edit adds :jester: emoji, just in case!

If P4 is a Platform reference? Any platform, pick a platform! Whatever platform you pick this beast will shake it, just like the real thing did, really...

:devil:

• Like 1

Hello Colin, 

You could possibly fit 2 no problem, 3 at a squeeze. However the limiting factor is that the EM2's are 4 ohms. This means wiring a pair to one chip means they must be wired in series. This removes the impact of the speakers and negates fitting two in a loco. This is the reason why I fitted two EM2's with two chips in the Atomic Option Deltic. The added bonus of this fit was the fact that two independent sound files will always be slightly out of sync meaning that the twin engine effect is really noticeable in a very nice way. 

Cheers,

Steve aka Merlin DCC.

Hello Colin, 

You could possibly fit 2 no problem, 3 at a squeeze. However the limiting factor is that the EM2's are 4 ohms. This means wiring a pair to one chip means they must be wired in series. This removes the impact of the speakers and negates fitting two in a loco. This is the reason why I fitted two EM2's with two chips in the Atomic Option Deltic. The added bonus of this fit was the fact that two independent sound files will always be slightly out of sync meaning that the twin engine effect is really noticeable in a very nice way. 

Cheers,

Steve aka Merlin DCC.

Hello folks, thought a picture of a Bachmann Deltic Chaasis prepared for EM2 x2 "Atomic Option might be of interest !post-27983-0-22735000-1491154831_thumb.jpg You will notice alloy wheel balance weights added where possible to compensate for all that chassis being removed. Collectors and fuss pots look away!

Edited by Steve Brammer
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just heard the Atomic Deltic masquerading as 55012 at the York show and couldn't really believe my ears. It's absolutely stupendous, with loads of bass and the engine sync effects are spot on. TBH I never thought a truly convincing Deltic could be done in 4mm but clearly it can.

Just heard the Atomic Deltic masquerading as 55012 at the York show and couldn't really believe my ears. It's absolutely stupendous, with loads of bass and the engine sync effects are spot on. TBH I never thought a truly convincing Deltic could be done in 4mm but clearly it can.

All we are trying to achieve at Legomanworld is good sounds with good speakers.  This now can be achieved with our new Earth Mover Speakers, but be warned, they also show up poorer sound files which are not programed & designed for these speakers, thus we are selecting from our vast range 'Suitable Classes' which can be re-edited with our new recordings.   Thank you all for your comments, we are not making noise!  we are making quality sounds.  Biff, Steve & Charlie

Not sure if this the correct thread for this post but it is an inquiry about sound fitted Deltics.

In the past I have put sound into a couple of my Deltics using Sugar Cube and/or Bass Speakers but neither sound throaty enough to me.

I have a third one now available for conversion and have been reading about the Zimo Dumbo Speakers, I notice that some people have already used them and wondered if they would recommend them as a significant improvement in sound quality over the older systems.