Oops! - learning photography by making mistakes

eastwestdivide

If you're still using film or like me going back to using film...make sure there is a film in the camera in the first place!!!

Oh so many years back now I went to the Wimbledon depot open day and was merrily snapping away in the full knowledge that the 36 exposure slide film was capturing everything. Started rewinding the film...Hmmm something feels a bit odd...carry on winding for ages...open the back of the camera up and 36 pictures have magically vanished into thin air!!!

If you're still using film or like me going back to using film...make sure there is a film in the camera in the first place!!!

Oh so many years back now I went to the Wimbledon depot open day and was merrily snapping away in the full knowledge that the 36 exposure slide film was capturing everything. Started rewinding the film...Hmmm something feels a bit odd...carry on winding for ages...open the back of the camera up and 36 pictures have magically vanished into thin air!!!

I think most of us have done a similar thing, and on more than one occasion in my case - which is worrying.

I remember firing off about 25 photos at Crewe many years ago, as I was convinced I had a 24 exp film in the camera, but the winding on process had not seemed to get any stiffer (as it used to do with that camera), and so plucked up the courage to briefly open the back to find nothing there.

All of a sudden those 'lost' photos are elevated in the mind to Eric Treacy standards of historical and technical accuracy, even though most would have probably been filed in the "could do better" department if they had been taken.

• RMweb Premium

Or what happened to me once, I forgot to count the number of frames and then realised that I must have taken over 50 shots on a 36 frame roll. I opened the back of the camera to find that the film had broken after a couple of frames. On another occasion the teeth of the winder stripped the holes on the film and I ended taking a dozen pictures on the same film.

• Like 1

... just don't forget that sometimes, just sometimes, your train will be signalled over a route that you weren't expecting.

Could have been worse - I've been bowled by a steam train that took a completely different route a little way S of York. There were about 10 of us waiting, and someone got the gen that it was going the wrong way, so everyone hared off to get it. Or at least those in cars did - I was on my pushbike and despite getting very sweaty and out of breath, it was long gone by the time I made it to the other location.

Still, it wouldn't be fun if it was totally predictable.

Edit - here's the "proof". Near Bolton Percy area. It was Bittern, well known to be a very shy bird:

post-6971-0-15008200-1453403760.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 3

25+ years after "lesson 3 - timing between obstructions" in the first post of this thread, I'm still doing it. Three consecutive shots, three consecutive posts:

post-6971-0-11145500-1453404442.jpg

post-6971-0-53214700-1453404445.jpg

post-6971-0-90294200-1453404447.jpg

and to add insult to injury, the going-away shot was hit by wind problems:

post-6971-0-47783600-1453404450.jpg

That said, I can't imagine the bloke by the old crossing got much of a shot from there either.

Union of South Africa, October 2014, Joan Croft, N of Doncaster.

I've since got a camera that can do more than three shots in burst mode without pausing to buffer data!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Back in October 2005, the sun was too much ...

attachicon.gif_MG_1412.jpg

I did manage to fix it, more or less,  after half an hour in photoshop.

Low autumn sun is a pain, particularly with wide angle lenses. Sometimes one has to look on shots like this as a record of what you saw, rather than a work of art!

Carry your camera with you and make sure it's on and ready to fire...or get a better smart phone...

Firstly the front end, then the rear - two 67's on the same train. However, the one at the rear looks - shall we say? - a little uncared for

post-2411-0-44570000-1453729853_thumb.jpg

post-2411-0-51155100-1453729946.jpg

• Like 4

Not railway related, but reminds me of the truth of that - some years ago (pre-digital) my wife asked me to take a high-res picture of a cottage. So I was standing by the roadside, big Mamiya C330 on a heavy tripod, taking light readings (Weston meter and invercone) and focussing when a man rode past on a bike, with a 12 foot python round his neck...

Much cursing.

• RMweb Gold

A lot of my files contain 'why did I take that?' snaps. Whereas Dad had to think about every 'exposure' on his roll of film, it now costs nothing (once you have the camera and a card) to snap away like mad at anything that moves. An example!

I only added the caption to post it here and I should have dumped it as soon as I off-loaded it from the memory card - along with hundreds of similar shots from other trips.

post-14351-0-76466700-1453753196_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

A lot of my files contain 'why did I take that?' snaps. Whereas Dad had to think about every 'exposure' on his roll of film, it now costs nothing (once you have the camera and a card) to snap away like mad at anything that moves. An example!

I only added the caption to post it here and I should have dumped it as soon as I off-loaded it from the memory card - along with hundreds of similar shots from other trips.

The photo may not be what you wanted, but there is a lot of useful modelling detail in there ... particularly useful to those of us living thousands of miles away and unable to just go down the road to get such shots. The platform walls and textures alone are worthwhile details for modellers to take note of. The train in the background is merely incidental to the main subject matter!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The photo may not be what you wanted, but there is a lot of useful modelling detail in there ... particularly useful to those of us living thousands of miles away and unable to just go down the road to get such shots. The platform walls and textures alone are worthwhile details for modellers to take note of. The train in the background is merely incidental to the main subject matter!

That's an interesting thought. While most of my uploaded shots are loco/train centred, some are about the infrastructure. My albums on the photo-sharing website ipernity can be accessed via the link in my signature strip, below. I sometimes take snaps while sitting on a train in a station, or waiting for a train, which are more about the scene than the rolling stock. The new bridge and canopies at Reading station have taken my eye on more than one occasion.

I still have many shots like the one featured above lurking in the hard drive. One can see from the uploaded ones the sort of places I have been. If anyone is looking for the background details from those locations, I would be happy to look through the photos and see if I have anything to fill gaps in what is otherwise available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Croydon shot already historic - no more Cl.460s units on GatEx. Indeed no more Cl.460s........

Fashions change, infrastructure changes.

History begins today.

While in that part of the archives I was surprised how many different liveries I had shot on what are now Govia Thameslink trains - from First Capital Connect's silver and blue and Southern-type white with green ends, through the relatively smart dark blue white and yellow and the dark blue with smudgy red and white patterns to the anaemic white with the most basic unimaginative THAMESLINK logo. 

The Gatwick Express' use of the 442s is potty. I have travelled through Gatwick fairly often over the last couple of years, changing there sometimes to catch the FGW turbo to Reading. Seeing passengers with huge suitcases struggling to get on up steep steps and through narrow doors is so annoying. The trains are great. I used to travel on them between London and Southampton for many years and they were far more comfortable than most current offerings, but they really aren't suitable for short-haul luggage-laden air travellers.

Edited by phil_sutters

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all,

Is there a prize for getting everything so wrong that it's not possible than anything in a photo is right? If so, may I humbly submit the attached, taken at Stevenage sometime in the late nineties?

It's so bad, it's laughable; however, in my defence, and, of course, things to learn from this: 

1. Be familiar with the camera - this one belonged to the firm and, of course, I was sent out to do a survey with it that morning, no instruction manual available and, oh look! there is a film in it, and, hey, the batteries aren't flat! Wonder of wonders, the last user left it in a reusable condition!

2. Be ready. I was standing on the platform and heard the growl of a fast-moving train, so whipped out the camera, switching it on as I did so, pointed the camera and took the photo. No time to consider, just to react.

3. Be on the right platform. Well, I was, for the train I was to catch, but obviously not for the one in the photo.

4. Be clear of the assorted platform furniture, something more easily said than done. 

5. Check in advance what trains will be running - easier to do nowadays, but in any case, I was told to go and do the survey as I arrived at work that morning, (as we serfs often are)

6. There are probably other lessons here, but I think I've done enough for the prize: cash, cheques, all are welcome...

post-2411-0-96304100-1454935178_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm sure that shadow wasn't there when I took the shot.

attachicon.gifP1000880.JPG

To which shadow do you refer? If you mean the one at the front of the loco, I think it looks fine, giving the photo tonal depth, moreover, the shadow on the left hand bank of the handrail is doing a good job of leading the eye into the picture. I think it 's a nice, interesting and well-made shot.

It is always helpful to concentrate on the subject and not make careless assumptions about where it is going to go.

I was sure while looking through the viewfinder and getting the exposure/focus right that this train was going to come into the platform opposite mine. It was only when I realised that it had gone behind the white fencing that I realised my mistake - but I pressed the shutter anyway.

post-4474-0-63261000-1454939368_thumb.jpg

• Like 2