Help with ladder fiddleyard

I'm trying to build a ladder fiddleyard  but I am not having much luck with it. I have got the points set out right when I put the first loop in it works fine, then the next loop won't meat and it leaves a gap in the track and then the same for the other roads. Can anyone tell me were I might be going wrong. I'm using set track for the yard. Can anyone provide a plan for one using set track. All help is much appreciated.

The answer is probably that the error is in using set track to fill the gaps.  Why not try some flexi-track and cut it to fit the gap between the points?  Flexi-track is compatible with set-track and Peco code 100 is interchangeable with both Peco set track and Hornby set track.  Cutting flexi-track is best done with a disc cutter in a mini drill but can be done with a junior hacksaw or a pair of suitable cutters.  I recommend Peco rather than Hornby for flexi-track as I find Hornby's to be rather fragile.

Harold.

• 1 month later...

Quick ladder using Set track in Anyrail

ladder.jpg

Using set track units results in perfect geometry rather than having to faff around with cutting rail to length and the short lengths curving back as the rails flex.

There are many ladder designs available this is but one of them. Download Anyrail (other track planning software available) and experiment.

Oh  I was under the impression* that we were talking a ladder with points at both ends of the sidings, so it looks rather like a ladder in fact ;)

In which case it is definately easier to not use set track

*brought on by the mention of the word Loop in the OP - implying points at each end of the tracks 

I feel sure you are right, Mickey.

Oh  I was under the impression* that we were talking a ladder with points at both ends of the sidings, so it looks rather like a ladder in fact ;)

Oh no! Now you have me doubting :jester: It should still be eaiser to use set track geometry ... but use a LH point at one end and a RH at the other. Just spotted the one above started with a Y point ... it should have broke both ways! So many alternative combinations possible.

• RMweb Premium

If you mirror Kenton's plan on both axes to get the other end, i.e. use right-hand points on both ends, the roads will all be the same length, so it will work with settrack no problems.  Not sure why he starts with a left curve and a Y rather than a left-hand point, but I'm sure there's a reason ...........

Something like this

attachicon.gifsimple ladder.jpg

As can be seen the top road is set track but the other is streamline cos without spending all night looking at it Set track dont seem to want to fit 

Yes that's how my current set up looks like however it's a nightmare for Bachmann mk1s.

If you mirror Kenton's plan on both axes to get the other end, i.e. use right-hand points on both ends, the roads will all be the same length, so it will work with settrack no problems.  Not sure why he starts with a left curve and a Y rather than a left-hand point, but I'm sure there's a reason ...........

I have tried that before but always had a gap in the track in two places.

Not sure why he starts with a left curve and a Y rather than a left-hand point, but I'm sure there's a reason ...........

Clicked on the wrong one ! :D ... though the theory a Y point at the start and breaking both ways is most economical with the routes +1 better if you start with a 3-way (but that is not settrack).

Another ladder ... we could keep going all night ..

ladder2.jpg

however it's a nightmare for Bachmann mk1s.

They do not like settrack curves - in fact most bogie stock doesn't like the sharp change across a short point.

That could still be done using settrack (hastily checking plan book regarding loops) but as noted above the Bachmann (or any bogie stock) will fall off the track as it traverses the 'S' - one reason why the ladder above works is there are no 'S' routes. But it does require a little more board width.

Ever thought of using a traverser? :diablo_mini:

That could still be done using settrack (hastily checking plan book regarding loops) but as noted above the Bachmann (or any bogie stock) will fall off the track as it traverses the 'S' - one reason why the ladder above works is there are no 'S' routes. But it does require a little more board width.

Ever thought of using a traverser? :diablo_mini:

Yes we did think about a traverser but we don't have the space sadly.  

Yes we did think about a traverser but we don't have the space sadly.  

Sounds like you are truely space starved ... a traverser can be smaller than a ladder.

perhaps the solution you really need is a cassette system. One single track that can be lifted out and replaced with another cassette? Does away with the pesky points altogether! No sharp 'S' bends to trip up the bogie stock - simple cheap and effective.

Sounds like you are truely space starved ... a traverser can be smaller than a ladder.

perhaps the solution you really need is a cassette system. One single track that can be lifted out and replaced with another cassette? Does away with the pesky points altogether! No sharp 'S' bends to trip up the bogie stock - simple cheap and effective.

Now there's something that's never crossed my mind. But a six foot train might be a bit bulky to lift in and out.

I'm trying to build a ladder fiddleyard  but I am not having much luck with it. I have got the points set out right when I put the first loop in it works fine, then the next loop won't meat and it leaves a gap in the track and then the same for the other roads. Can anyone tell me were I might be going wrong. I'm using set track for the yard. Can anyone provide a plan for one using set track. All help is much appreciated.

You haven't said how many sidings you want nor whether it's a single of double main line but I had a go in AnyRail and came up with this for a four siding yard built entirely from Setrack. All the sidings are the same length but, even with this arrangement of doubling and redoubling,  a ladder of points at each end of a yard does eat space. 

post-6882-0-79741100-1396132662_thumb.jpg

This longer version in which you may not be able to make out the part numbers is nine feet long from toe to toe and will handle the six foot long trains you mention. 

post-6882-0-27525300-1396133528_thumb.jpg

This uses all Setrack Ys which do save space while giving rather gentler S curves than left or right hand points though personally I'd probably use Streamline medium Ys for preference. People I know who've built shunting layouts with setrack to try and cram in more sidings do seem to get a lot of derailments.

Of course all those Ys in a yard is something you'd never see in reality !!

post-6882-0-38984300-1396132346_thumb.jpg

Just to make it clear the layout is set to a double track mainline. I would like 5 roads for yard giving me 10 all over.

and .. you say you have no space for a traverser!

Just double up Pacific231G's second diagram and that only gives you 4 roads - a total of 10 (5+5) would require at least another 9 inches each end to give that extra 2 points yielding 6ft minimum roads. Not to mention what it does to the separation of the prime entry and exit tracks - looking nothing like main line. Sure you can start with the mainline but that then restricts you to a one sided ladder off of each main (no use of the economical space saving 3-way or Y-point) but you will find that increases both length and width. At least a traverser requires no points or perhaps just 1 on each main. That would give 4 input roads with any group of 4 traverser tracks lined up at any one setting.

This is a really big FY !! What sort of / size of layout is it serving?

The layout is 19ft by 9ft. We don't have space for a traverser because we don't have the width to move it back and forth.

Circular and around 4 walls? With the FY along the 9ft wall, with what board width? 9 ft is NOT enough space for the 10x 6f road (5+5) ladder even forgetting the essential minimum 1st and 2nd radius 90' curves at both ends.

This is a big layout (too big IMO to be thinking settrack) - but heh if it is the way you want it.

Have you thought of the possibility of helix down to a lower level and the FY on that level - you could build a lower level on the 19' side or even all round.

BTW a traverser does not have to move the whole width of the board. You are not trying to make all 10 traverser roads available to both main, just 5+5 - of course I probably would though it does take some engineering over a 6ft width. Also nothing preventing you having two tables on the same runners.

My dad and I were talking about a helix last night. However we don't have enough room for one. The FY is to be on one of the two 19ft boards not the 9ft one. 

OK, so a full 19ft to play with, less the corners - of course. That must be doable.

To completely rule out the helix - which would occupy about 3-4ft square in a corner - Correct me if wrong but the objection is not being able to have a lower level?

Also so we can have a better idea of why a traverser would not work and the limiting factors on space - what is the maximum board width along that 19ft (does the room have other obstructions that prevent a traverser along that length)?

Archived