Help with ladder fiddleyard

OK, just tried ozzyo's design and that works fine in 19ft (actually 13ft to allow the corners at each end) with all roads 6ft - in fact there is a lot of unused space in the 2ft width - so much that you could also use two traversers that would require no (or less than 6inches of overhang) The 2 traverser solution would allow all 10 roads to feed both main lines and therefore allow train reversal. This has the other advantage of some addition tracks on the input/output side to allow for loco storage. Very elegant for non-dmu layouts or even to incorporate a turntable (if into steam era).

The ladder - though workable in settrack still has the issue with the small radius points and 'S' bends - it was never designed for the later bogie stock (actually the stock was not designed to run on settrack). Even the medium radius points are a challenge.

An update on the fiddelyard. After a lot taking over the subject my dad came up with the idea of build it from both end of the layout and then where we have a large gap in the boards (due a roof joist) stop there and measure the gap and cut the track to size. I'm currently filing a piece of track as I type this. 

Archived