Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold

A brief interlude, between locos and another Warbird from Hornby's Airfix Shed ;) Oh and it is green - the Curtiss P-40B Warhawk...

post-7000-0-23886900-1491232221_thumb.jpg

post-7000-0-34897800-1491232283_thumb.jpg

... interestingly this has designed and produced in England on the box - I thought it was only the Quick-builds that where.

Don't worry there are a couple of Hornby's finest in the works, all will be revealed shortly ;)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Magnificent stuff toboldlygo with 21C4. Really looks superb.  Can someone tell me if the front deflector blade thickness on the new MN is as narrow in width as, say, the original West Country/BoB mouldings?

My enjoyment of Hornby continues from Hornby International, with the Rivarossi model of the US Chesapeake and Ohio H8 2-6-6-6, the greatest of all US articulated locos by almost any measure. A few details to back my assertion; the boiler of a UP Big Boy would fit inside the H8's boiler, the design of the H8 was extremely efficient, and could work well at wide cut-off, as well as achieving actual dyno-measured drawbar pulls in excess of the theoretical numbers... these 1941 Lima-built engines ranked first in steam-raising capacity (2nd were DMIR 2-8-8-4s), highest ever recorded actual horsepower at 7,498 with 14,032 tons in tow at 45mph across the Pickaway Plains, Ohio.

To quote David P Morgan from 'Steam's Finest Hour', 'On level tangent track a single 2-6-6-6 moved a 160-car, 14,083 ton coal train to 19 miles per hour in one mile'.

Above all, O S Nock was extremely impressed by the efficiency of these locos during test I think in 1948, where they converted fuel into power as efficiently as the very best from Swindon or Crewe at 2.9lbs coal per horsepower-hour.  Source; 'Chesapeake and Ohio Super Power Steam Locomotives' by Eugene L. Huddlestone, 2005.

This Rivarossi model is still listed in 2017 production by Hornby in Virginian guise,almost identical to the C&O version, costs I think about £400, if you can find one.

Given that it is largely die-cast and weighs about 3Kg it qualifies in my mind as value for money. Hornby don't appear to be marketing these models at all. Must be concentrating on Pecketts. 

This pic below is slightly enhanced with details and steam, apart from weathering.

post-7929-0-29137400-1492282620_thumb.jpg

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Magnificent stuff toboldlygo with 21C4. Really looks superb.  Can someone tell me if the front deflector blade thickness on the new MN is as narrow in width as, say, the original West Country/BoB mouldings?

Comparing the deflector thickness on Clan Line with a spare set WC/BoB deflectors I had in my spares box - the Merchant Navy ones are 0.7mm (0.028") thick, the WC/BoB ones are 0.6mm (0.024") thick (or with the beading on the front edge 0.8mm (0.032") thick)

Comparing the deflector thickness on Clan Line with a spare set WC/BoB deflectors I had in my spares box - the Merchant Navy ones are 0.7mm (0.028") thick, the WC/BoB ones are 0.6mm (0.024") thick (or with the beading on the front edge 0.8mm (0.032") thick)

Thanks for that toboldlygo, the front deflector thickness is about the only thing I can think of to detract from the Malachite MNs., it might be the line of the black paint and green which exacerbates the thickness to my eyes.

Mean while another look at (and at risk of boring UK modelers) the Hornby Rivarossi Chesapeake and Ohio 1941-on H8 class 2-6-6-6 the kind of engine which meant that we won the war...     hauling the coal to make the steel which built the ships....

post-7929-0-51892500-1492549498_thumb.jpg

and below, the Virginian RR equivalent also made by Rivarossi. These 1945 engines were quite a lot more powerful than your average Peckett.

All power to Hornby for making both of them. <g>

post-7929-0-17793100-1492549595_thumb.jpg

Cheers

• Like 4

Rob have to say I can't fault either of those shots. Not being into American railways but enjoying a good model... these take the cake for power and strength... then again I have a soft spot for AD60 here in Australia as another loco that matches the description of power and strength. One day I wouldn't mind seeing any of these in full steam!

• RMweb Gold

A couple of very dirty Eastern Region Engines..

post-7000-0-49479100-1493194618_thumb.jpg

No renumbering on the Q6, just weathered and detailed.

post-7000-0-21125600-1493194590_thumb.jpg

A B17/2 from a B17/3 (in the later B17/6 guise of course) - those bargain B17's from a certain box-shifter, have somehow got me into double digits with this class.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I dont think the B17's lasted long enough to get dirty..... :mocking_mini:

Oops, you may need to lie down in a darkened room (or have more padding in your padded cell) - when the Midland Compound that's on my workbench, makes it's appearance  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

After some consultation with the Men in Malachite, I have been advised to add a health warning to my posts, as the waiting list for Air-smoothing their clients has reached the 18 month mark  :O

Warning

Those of a sensitive disposition to dirty Locos, may need to avert their gaze  :jester:

After a long absence (2 years) the Schools Class makes a welcome if dirty return..

post-7000-0-81341800-1493759442_thumb.jpg

And something from the Blue corner - a dirty Midland Compound

post-7000-0-23992800-1493759502_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

FINALLY! I wondered when youd get round to a decent engine! 

:good:

:tomato:  

They certainly do weather well and I suspect it will be the first of many Q6's - once I get my eye in with all the detail differences ;)

In the meantime and for a certain member whose in the Windy City across the Pond - another care-worn ex-GWR Heavy Tank ;)

post-7000-0-53954800-1494168568_thumb.jpg

And on a break between loco's another Airfix kit is under construction - Fliegender Bleistift :D

post-7000-0-85808800-1494168673_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Much as I love British railways, especially the steam age, I still think one of the best models ever by Hornby has to be the Hornby International Rivarossi HR2407 and HR2408 Virginian Railroad AG class 'Blue Ridge' 2-6-6-6 Allegheny....the Rivarossi model being usually of No.907.

Built in 1945, all gone by 1956. Capable of astonishing power (the similar Chesapeake and Ohio H8 class was recorded producing 7,500 actual drawbar horsepower at 50mph. O S Nock accepted the numbers an had great admiration for the design. The front driving axle carried 38.7 imperial tons!  They could handle 160 loaded hoppers unaided, about 14,000 tons, with a second engine pushing on heavier grades.

Superb model, still available new so far as I can tell for £300-400 from Ebay sellers. I'm not selling mine! :)

post-7929-0-19711500-1494365188_thumb.jpg

Cheers

edit; I have had an urge to photograph more British prototypes, a weathered post-war SR S15 is calling my name from its unopened red box....

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

A brief interlude, between locos and another Warbird from Hornby's Airfix Shed ;) Oh and it is green - the Curtiss P-40B Warhawk...

attachicon.gifIMG_4344.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4345.jpg

... interestingly this has designed and produced in England on the box - I thought it was only the Quick-builds that where.

Don't worry there are a couple of Hornby's finest in the works, all will be revealed shortly ;)

This reminds me of the role the US and its railways, or railroads if you prefer, played in WW2. The production of so much, from 'Liberty Ships' to huge amounts of armaments, it was, well, prodigious.  And while we NZers fought in Egypt the US saved our bacon in 1941-42 in the Pacific war.

This  tremendous war production was aided by massive articulated steam locomotives built around 1941, for the Union Pacific, Southern Pacific, and of course the various eastern Railroads on either side of the Blue Ridge mountains, Kentucky the Virginias, Ohio and so on.

Hornby International still list a pristine Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 'Big Boy', a class of 25 built by Alco for the UP in two batches beginning in 1941. Coal-fired with Wyoming coal, these could handle prodigious loads on long grades of about 1-in-90.. withdrawn from general use about 1958.

Hornby also recently did a factory-weathered version via Rivarossi which was roundly condemned by critics, yes, they are as bad on the other side of the pond as in the UK, but I like it, and here is my version, with the weathering un-altered, but quite a few pipes added, and some removed.

post-7929-0-04881200-1494712318_thumb.jpg

Still thinking of a weathered WW2-era S15..... :)

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This reminds me of the role the US and its railways, or railroads if you prefer, played in WW2. The production of so much, from 'Liberty Ships' to huge amounts of armaments, it was, well, prodigious.  And while we NZers fought in Egypt the US saved our bacon in 1941-42 in the Pacific war.

This  tremendous war production was aided by massive articulated steam locomotives built around 1941, for the Union Pacific, Southern Pacific, and of course the various eastern Railroads on either side of the Blue Ridge mountains, Kentucky the Virginias, Ohio and so on.

Hornby International still list a pristine Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 'Big Boy', a class of 25 built by Alco for the UP in two batches beginning in 1941. Coal-fired with Wyoming coal, these could handle prodigious loads on long grades of about 1-in-90.. withdrawn from general use about 1958.

Hornby also recently did a factory-weathered version via Rivarossi which was roundly condemned by critics, yes, they are as bad on the other side of the pond as in the UK, but I like it, and here is my version, with the weathering un-altered, but quite a few pipes added, and some removed.

attachicon.gif4014_Big_Boy_portrait2_1abcd_r1200.jpg

Still thinking of a weathered WW2-era S15..... :)

Cheers

I'm getting slightly concerned for you Rob, at this rate you'll be getting a visit from the Southern Hemisphere branch of the Men in Malachite - apparently they have a nice new facility off the coast of New Zealand  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I'm getting slightly concerned for you Rob, at this rate you'll be getting a visit from the Southern Hemisphere branch of the Men in Malachite - apparently they have a nice new facility off the coast of New Zealand  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

The spread of the MiM is getting like a plague of ladybirds - I've decided, if I see any near me, they're* going to get sprayed LNWR BLACK....

Ha!

* For the sake of clarity, I mean the MiM, not any ladybirds.  :triniti:

• RMweb Gold

The spread of the MiM is getting like a plague of ladybirds - I've decided, if I see any near me, they're* going to get sprayed LNWR BLACK....

Ha!

* For the sake of clarity, I mean the MiM, not any ladybirds.  :triniti:

There could be one standing next to you right now and you wouldn't know it until it was too late. You don't think they'd just turn up in their Ceremonial Robes do you?

In fact one sold you your last can of LNWR Black... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Slightly more than just a renumbered a D16/3 with a difference - a 5 pole Flywheel motor and an unlined tender

Substitute a shorter drawbar (I had to make one, with hole centres 10mm apart) to get the cab floor extension over the tender frames and it will look yet better. Hornby have put a nifty cut out in the rear of the  floor to clear around the brake pillar, and the resulting 5mm between the cab and tender handrails looks right compared to photographs. It is still 'lose' on a  24" radius curve.

I remain very impressed with the traction Hornby have achieved on this model with no need for traction tyres, thanks to a good mechanism layout and additional metal in the construction. The right design clever.

• Like 1

There could be one standing next to you right now and you wouldn't know it until it was too late. You don't think they'd just turn up in their Ceremonial Robes do you?

In fact one sold you your last can of LNWR Black... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Funnily enough, the last tin of LNWR Black I had came from a member of the EBC (Elucidated Bretheren of Crewe).  Mind you, it was New Stock, not the Old Stores Reference Blackberry Black - a paint that needs to be steamed out of the tin to be useful....

I don't see a MiM wanting to go anywhere near the EBC, :scared:  I believe the shriving rituals are prolonged and very painful..... 

Nice D16/3 btw!

just noticed acronymic transliteration - now corrected.....

Edited by Hroth