Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

I've three of the beasts....

The Railroad version

The Heritage Rail Express train pack

The TTS one (full fat as far as I can see, with the plastic nameplates)

All bought on the cheap side of "do I really need more than one?".  What I need to do is decide on other Royal Dukes to call two of them.  The running numbers are easy, 71001 and 71002....

I might even give the Railroad one the "toboldlygo" treatment!  :jester:

Nah, in BR days it was much cleaner than toboldlygo would allow...

post-7929-0-68848900-1514316919_thumb.jpg

I personally think the Railroad version is ok and the so-called full-fat versions very good, at  least they have brakes on the front drivers, unlike a certain new Duchess, ...   I have three, a weathered 'as restored' one, a weathered 1960s version yet to be photographed, and a pristine 1960s version, and like you purchased at that great emporium, which I regularly frequent, 'on the cheap side'.

Here is the pristine 1960s version, for what it's worth, acknowledgements to Hattons, and rarely for me, an honest photo!  Not bad for £70.(I was lucky maybe).

post-7929-0-24392500-1514317572_thumb.jpg

Lest we forget the Britannia , here is ex-WR 'Tornado' which must have been through toboldlygo's hands...

post-7929-0-29277300-1514317996_thumb.jpg

or if you like actual WR Britannias here's what I think is the hardest form of weathering, the pristine-but-working look, 70015 ..

both these pics edited, god forbid I use my 25p set of children's paintbrushes. I save them for the BR black look... :)

post-7929-0-34568200-1514318171_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I might even give the Railroad one the "toboldlygo" treatment!  :jester:

For a start I didn't use the Railroad version - so you may get a belated Christmas present from me to you - via the MiM, involving many sessions of Air Smoothing with the added bonus of Malachiting....  :jester:  :jester:

*Edited - due to being very drunk when I originally typed this!

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

Air-smoothing be damn*d    Engine design was complete when Drummond came up with this.  Never really needed superheating either, you know it stops the hens laying.

attachicon.gif30724_T9_portrait1_2ab_r1200.jpg

The original batch were always a problem - they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Fortunately a fellow Bulleidnutter who has 2manyspams solved the problem...  :jester:  :jester:

... and the mod is still used on those errant early versions.

The original batch were always a problem - they couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Fortunately a fellow Bulleidnutter who has 2manyspams solved the problem...  :jester:  :jester:

... and the mod is still used on those errant early versions.

My T9s could pull 5-6 carriages right from the early batches, I recall possibly the front bogie had to be adjusted to put more weight on drivers.

Meanwhile I am beginning to think the Britannia represents the very best of Hornby modelling, except for paint perhaps, and chimney, otherwise they are stunning, 70010 'Owen Glendower' even has the correct deflector handrails for later BR... how thorough is that!

One type of engine which in its later Carlisle days had dirt and grime to make even toboldlygo wince with pain. I'm thinking of the photos in Gavin Morrison's excellent book 'Britannia Pacifics'.

If I photoshopped the dirt and scale and rust nobody would believe me...even in the early 60s there are pics where engines have no visible signs of paint whatsoever.

This below is ok because 70010 had several light conditional overhauls in the mid-60s

picture edited

post-7929-0-90006300-1514758603_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Another reminder of the Britannia in its last days, well not quite, toboldlygo's 70042 still has plates and some faint signs of paint lef...

based on those youthful Sunday afternoons with camera around sheds in the early 60s...

post-7929-0-55861700-1514925968_thumb.jpg

I like to keep a degree of oiliness around drivers and motion, it was common on hard-used express engines even if they were never cleaned, top marks toboldlygo for that look.  

Cheers

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Another reminder of the Britannia in its last days, well not quite, toboldlygo's 70042 still has plates and some faint signs of paint lef...

based on those youthful Sunday afternoons with camera around sheds in the early 60s...

attachicon.gif70042_Britannia_portrait20_12A_3abc1_r1200.jpg

I like to keep a degree of oiliness around drivers and motion, it was common on hard-used express engines even if they were never cleaned, top marks toboldlygo for that look.  

Cheers

And an early crest (also if memory serves didn't receive a speedo or AWS)

No loco's at the moment, though I have a commission Merchant Navy to do - when it arrives (35030 end of Southern Steam, with repair patches on the tender)

In the meantime 264 Squadron markings await this nearly finished Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant...

post-7000-0-86443500-1514985747_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nude Bulleid warning...

I've been appointed by the MiM as the Official Sanctuary for Sick Bulleids or OSSB for short...

My first two patients are well on the road to recovery:

post-7000-0-68072400-1515271664_thumb.jpg

Split gear* and bent valve & coupling rods on one and dodgy Blue-Box decoder on the other..

*Been given top-secret information with regards to alternate parts too ;)

• Like 1

We could have a seriously impressive model on our hands soon...

pic from 2/2018 Hornby magazine

edited by me..

a little, nothing changed in the detail..

post-7929-0-69628400-1515617015_thumb.jpg

cheers

the MiM are watching.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

Indeed! 

Won't have to make pictures like this... from a blue box. :)

post-7929-0-51405000-1515622911_thumb.jpg

based on a lovely pic by Maurice Earley hardcover A5 landscape format 'The Southern Scene', with 859 'Lord Hood' at Worting Junction in 1946.

The details of the Lord Nelsons are a lot of fun.

Cheers

edited to fix engine number

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Q6 or Lord Nelson, hmmm    :)

It occurs to me that the pre-production model from the Hornby magazine is single chimney with deflectors, so no doubt there will be various produced eventually.

Here to whet the appetite, and showin what great-looking engines these were is SR 861 'Lord Anson' in 1933 being prepared at Brighton for the Golden Arrow, from a pic by M W Earley.

post-7929-0-26382200-1515626052_thumb.jpg

drool,  again...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We could have a seriously impressive model on our hands soon...

pic from 2/2018 Hornby magazine

edited by me..

a little, nothing changed in the detail..

attachicon.gif850_LN_Image2a_r1200.jpg

cheers

the MiM are watching.

Oh they are watching, in fact they intercepted the first engineering prototype a while back and persuaded Hornby to delay the reveal until this week - well a certain device was used to do the persuading...  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Indeed! 

Won't have to make pictures like this... from a blue box. :)

attachicon.gif30851_SR_Nelson_Battledown_portrait1_4abcde_r1200.jpg

based on a lovely pic by Maurice Earley hardcover A5 landscape format 'The Southern Scene', with 850 'Lord Hood' at Worting Junction in 1946.

The details of the Lord Nelsons are a lot of fun.

Cheers

850? It's 860 and if it was the Lord Hood in 1946 she would be running with Boiler 860 (that's the longer boiler) - but as it's 851, you won't be reported to the MiM.

Compared to the Hornby engineering prototype - no wonder there a so many Blue Box LN's looking for new homes.  :jester:

Edited by toboldlygo

Nelsons are a bit lumpish, aren't they?

I've no reason to have one and they don't tick my Rule 1 book either so thats them sorted.

However

Ohhhh Bathtubs!!!!  (aka Streamlined Coronations...)  Wantone!

However, Red?  Blue?  Decisions, decisions!!!

I dithered over Sir William A. Stanier FRS and missed out. This time...

• RMweb Gold

Nelsons are a bit lumpish, aren't they?

I've no reason to have one and they don't tick my Rule 1 book either so thats them sorted.

However

Ohhhh Bathtubs!!!!  (aka Streamlined Coronations...)  Wantone!

However, Red?  Blue?  Decisions, decisions!!!

I dithered over Sir William A. Stanier FRS and missed out. This time...

Bathtubs? You do realise that the Stanierists sub-contract to the MiM (the Stanierists like to keep their hands relatively clean).- you shouldn't give them idea's...

Bathtubbing - a new improved form of Air-Smoothing  :jester:  :jester:  

Bathtubs? You do realise that the Stanierists sub-contract to the MiM (the Stanierists like to keep their hands relatively clean).- you shouldn't give them idea's...

Bathtubbing - a new improved form of Air-Smoothing  :jester:  :jester:  

Thats rather brave of you, implying that a streamlined Princess Coronation is better than a Merchant Navy....

The MiM will NOT be impressed! :no:

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

Thats rather brave of you, implying that a streamlined Princess Coronation is better than a Merchant Navy....

The MiM will NOT be impressed! :no:

Not brave, I know what I can say, where the MiM are concerned...

You must be volunteering to be inegeral enthusiast to be bath-tubbed...

850? It's 860 and if it was the Lord Hood in 1946 she would be running with Boiler 860 (that's the longer boiler) - but as it's 851, you won't be reported to the MiM.

Compared to the Hornby engineering prototype - no wonder there a so many Blue Box LN's looking for new homes.  :jester:

Sorry, typo, it's captioned 859 'Lord Hood' at Worting Junction 1946, and my pic is of course 30851...