Suitable decoders for N scale Kato locos.

DanielB

The first chassis shown is the Atlas version:

http://www.spookshow.net/rivsw1500.html

I've never considered trying to DCC my SW1500s (primarily because I'd have to build one good one out of the two I have), but I have added DCC to a LifeLike SW900, and it needs a very small decoder in the cab.

http://www.spookshow.net/llsw.html

In contrast, the Kato NW2 takes a drop-in decoder.

http://www.spookshow.net/katonw2.html

Adrian

No, I wouldn't scrap it. I think DCC is possible. I would be wary of the old Rivarossi can motor though - they don't have a reputation for longevity.

Alternatively find a 'calf' and stick the decoder in it, permanently wired to the 'cow'.

Adrian

I'm a little worried about the longevity of the motor, so I might just put it in my spares box for a project some day.

I have plenty of switchers now anyway.

DCC locos:

SD70MAC x2

AC4400CW

GP-40

DC locos to be converted to DCC:

SD-9 x2

GP-50

SD-60

U-25B

DC locos to be converted to dummies:

Arnold GP-30

Model Power GP-40

Atlas SW1500

I've also been offered another Kato BNSF SD70MAC and an Atlas CSX SD-50 for £80

Verrrrrrrry tempted. :D

Slippery slope indicates that you'd actually try and restrain yourself.

For me it's a waterslide that ends in a pool full of real ale. ;)

I've got a ways to go to catch you up, but I'll get there. :)

• RMweb Gold

Slippery slope indicates that you'd actually try and restrain yourself.

For me it's a waterslide that ends in a pool full of real ale. ;)

I've got a ways to go to catch you up, but I'll get there. :)

I know exactly what you mean... both locos and beer!!

• 2 weeks later...

Chaps,

I have a question I'm hoping you guys can answer. I know it's not on the same topic as the thread title but it is DCC related. :)

As my layout is N scale and hopefully shouldn't draw much power, would I be able to use more of the thin wire I have used in the image below (as the dropper wires) as my power bus? instead of feeding each dropper wire into single bus cable, have wires going from each dropper to the power plate for the NCE Powercab I'm going to be using. Would this work on a layout so small or should I be looking at a higher gain cable and do a proper bus?

20140316_213119-1_zps29820960.jpg

The reason I ask is that this layout is due to be exhibited at TVNAM in June, and time is a-wasting. I'm quite short on funds at the moment so would rather use the wire I have than fork out for more if I don't need to!

Or would this plan not stand up to exhibition conditions? The last thing I want is for the layout to die on me at TVNAM!  :(

Hopefully you can help. I asked elsewhere but didn't get a response, and if I can I'd like to sort the wiring tomorrow so I can crack on with the scenery. :D

Full track plan can be seen here, though I have dropped the sector plate and rear storage track for cassettes, and replaced the three way point with a normal point and will have the top spur running directly into the fiddle yard (which you can see in the photo above):

http://www.tvnam.co.uk/layouts9.htm

• RMweb Gold

You should be fine with that type of wiring, but I would strongly recommend soldering all rail joints and/or adding feeders to all separate bits of track. I don't know whether it's me, or a general thing with N, but I've found that things are usually OK until you start ballasting and painting the track, and then you can begin to get some electrical issues. I've had to go back and add more feeds on my layout, which is a pain when things arealready ballasted.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Question time!

Firstly, sorry about all these questions, I'm a total newbie when it comes to what goes in which loco.

I've just picked up 3 of the lifelike 1999 GP20's (the first run with the split lighting board) and I'm trying to find a suitable decoder for them.

I've seen it suggested to use a Digitrax DZ121, but these have been discontinued for about 10 years.

Anyone know of a suitable alternative?

Archived