Gloucester Wagon Co. Livery color listing

I corresponded with Keith year's ago.  The story is that he was sent a number of photographs and wrote the book around them, so there are huge gaps in the time line.

I have actually been to Gloucester to research wagons pertinent to the LSWR.  The glory days of the Gloucester company were from about 1890 to 1925.  There are several reasons for the reduction in wagon building:

• internal problems with Hall Lewis
  • the loss of the company's own standards with the 1923 spec.
  • the world economic problems and the impact on the coal industry
  • changes in the way that coal was purchased as houses were built without coal cellars.

I think 1923 was the last RCH spec for wooden bodied wagons.  The early steel bodied wagons were often high capacity.  The Butterley company were building 12 ton capacity in the mid 1930s and these were the precursors of the LMS D2135 and the BR steel bodied wagons.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

There has been quite a lot of discussion in various places on wagon red. The concensus seems to be that just "red" usually meant red oxide. But since wagons quickly got dirty in use, and the paint also faded, anything goes unless you are modelling a brand new wagon.

Just a warning on the Gloucester PO wagon book, that there are some wagons described as new which are actually rebuilds or reconstructions. There was an article years ago in the HMRS Journal discussing these.

Many of the Gloucester photos are in the HMRS collection which can be searched on-line - though not this one as far as I can see.

Hey everyone. Heres the wagon so far. The livery isnt done on this side yet but i just had to get a picture taken as Ill probably be too busy to work on it the next few days. post-21863-0-98871500-1394199158_thumb.jpg

My white paint never comes out nice enough.. :/

Archived