Giddygate

sn

Just one small point- I think the cattle ought to be reddish brown or, perhaps, brown and white or all-over black. The only black and white cattle I can think off are Fresians or Holsteins, which are primarily dairy breeds, and are less heavy in the body. Yours look as though they could be Herefords, a beef breed, and much more 'chunky' looking.

• RMweb Premium

Just one small point- I think the cattle ought to be reddish brown or, perhaps, brown and white or all-over black. The only black and white cattle I can think off are Fresians or Holsteins, which are primarily dairy breeds, and are less heavy in the body. Yours look as though they could be Herefords, a beef breed, and much more 'chunky' looking.

Some of the black and white ones look like belted galloway, but the markings are a little off on some of the others to be these.

For some reason anything supposedly far off e.g a distant church looks better if printed in black and white, dont know why! Glad you like the layout. Cheers, Len

It has to do with the effects of dust in the atmosphere and distance - items further away show less, and less colour, fading through blues and purples towards a bluish grey at the horizon It would be worth printing them in greyscale, rather than black and white, as the contrast would be less stark. If you have Sky, watch the ads for their new channel (starting 1 Feb I think), Sky Atlantic, with Dustin Hoffman, and look at the city skyline behind him which is all shades of grey - that was the effect I was trying to get on "Fiddlestick Yard" and "Harlem Station E149th Street"

The backscenes? Well, they are photographs of trees and a field toutside LLandrillo. Printed off on ordinary printer paper (not photo paper) after having been resized on photoimpact software. With a stanley knife I carefully cut about between branches where the sky shows so that when glued up to the hardbaord painted back the blue sky of the painted hardboard comes through. Simple but I think very effective For some reason anything supposedly far off e.g a distant church looks better if printed in black and white, dont know why! Glad you like the layout. Cheers, Len

Ahhh.... Thought I recognised the process! Thew only comment I'd make is - try printing them on A4 label paper! Saves messing about with PVA...

Nice job.

Ian

Ahhh.... Thought I recognised the process! Thew only comment I'd make is - try printing them on A4 label paper! Saves messing about with PVA...

Nice job.

Ian

That's an idea! I'll try that Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since the station building is sideways to the tracks how is the continous run going to connect up? Interesting project though and some nice weathering.

Don

There is now a new left hand point on the run round loop which takes trains over to the other side of the shed and the continuous run. I'll take some pics tomorrow of the new track layout.

Guest Dave.C

My first visit to the thread.

I like the ground works for the extension, especially the first shot of the last three photos

• 2 weeks later...

Only just seen this it is looking really good, as a GWR "Fan" or enthusiast I like to see more especially the North Wales Lines.

I wish my Railway Room was as large as that, I have an 8' x 10' shed and a 16' layout although only the first 8' of track is laid.

My sheds only a little bigger at 12'x 10' I think

Archived