Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ivanhoe Line

11 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Currently at the bridge, it should come through soon, the adrenaline's going hard

Have you checked on RTT that this is running?  Doesn't appear to be from what I can see.

"This service runs on an as required basis, and it has not yet been activated in the railway computer systems. This alert will disappear if the train is activated.

If the service should have departed by now, this normally means it is not running. If the train is set to run in the future, then check again closer to the time."

Edited by 'CHARD
extra blurb
  • Informative/Useful 2

37 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Have you checked on RTT that this is running?  Doesn't appear to be from what I can see.

"This service runs on an as required basis, and it has not yet been activated in the railway computer systems. This alert will disappear if the train is activated.

If the service should have departed by now, this normally means it is not running. If the train is set to run in the future, then check again closer to the time."

ah.

42 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

so as it turns out, it did come through, just early

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, 65179 said:

Looks like 2 trains possibly today, although the Network Rail one is oddly showing up as both paths activated, but one train. 20 mins early already.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/LOUNJN/2021-03-22/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Simon

yeah I saw them, I think there's 2 network rail trains next week when I'm off for easter

Well I'm off down Ashby de la zouch again tomorrow, but other than that:

It's quite a shame that there is no way (at least to my knowledge) to view the other side of the station, and photos of Ashby de la zouch station seem to be quite scarce, with the majority being the view from Station road. I have seen a few photos of the station from the other side however I do wonder if anyone has or knows where I can find more modern photos of the station, besides the view from station road. I also wonder if anyone knows the current state of the station. The building itself is obviously in good condition, inside and out, though I do wonder what the state of the platform(/platforms?) are, I'd always assumed they were demolished, but google satellite images don't really tell much. Any help appreciated. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't run today. Probably the only time for quite few months I'll see trains run through Ashby! However my mum's very nicely agreed to take me burton next week so we can do some trainspotting there. If anyone knows soom good spots near the station that would be helpful

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2021 at 17:12, tubs01 said:

Didn't run today. Probably the only time for quite few months I'll see trains run through Ashby! However my mum's very nicely agreed to take me burton next week so we can do some trainspotting there. If anyone knows soom good spots near the station that would be helpful

The Station car park situated the opposite side of the station bridge being the safe and obvious place.Accessed best from Derby Street at the side of the Travelodge on your left.Good unrestricted close views of north end of station.It’s a pay as you go car park with two different operators....the official rail being the more expensive of the two.Park against rail side wall of Travelodge is the privately run ....and cheaper....best place. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The Station car park situated the opposite side of the station bridge being the safe and obvious place.Accessed best from Derby Street at the side of the Travelodge on your left.Good unrestricted close views of north end of station.It’s a pay as you go car park with two different operators....the official rail being the more expensive of the two.Park against rail side wall of Travelodge is the privately run ....and cheaper....best place. 

Thanks! station was obviously the best choice then! don't have to worry about parking as we'll be a parking at my sister's house then walking up to it

• 2 months later...

Some screen caps from videos I've taken on the Ivanhoe line in the past two weeks 

First up: Colas 67s on NR duties featuring what I like to call the bald mk1Screenshot_20210712-184715_YouTube.jpg.0acb8ac0ddd363a616943fb88f757f57.jpgScreenshot_20210712-184700_YouTube.jpg.cb72e362ecc405008674a6852a10ec70.jpgScreenshot_20210712-184738_YouTube.jpg.fbee22509772cd8a5e15b21596bfd5f9.jpgScreenshot_20210712-184655_YouTube.jpg.78e177af0a75d1a787bdc8b80bf2eadb.jpgScreenshot_20210712-184727_YouTube.jpg.4467d2e3b08360346b18f5a5726a5ee5.jpg

Next up we have some empty metals wagons in Coalville, and then the same wagons being picked up the next day by a shed.Screenshot_20210712-184808_YouTube.jpg.8db325df9d7513783afa64f863fdb8a7.jpgScreenshot_20210712-184816_YouTube.jpg.95fba1b11363ce97cbc23a20f70f6cb8.jpgScreenshot_20210712-184828_YouTube.jpg.0771c4b6199416afe3afb79fa0b1d303.jpgScreenshot_20210712-184902_YouTube.jpg.0178e2eec76899db956735b4dcedd136.jpg20210630_170020.jpg.a85211ceb44395a4620740de5dbdbf81.jpg20210630_170106.jpg.ff34b0c90cdf825c08a05288ce257edc.jpg

And finally we have the good old shed hauled aggregate empties.Screenshot_20210712-184946_YouTube.jpg.0ab06836e0822ce5d6f196c9e103cfb1.jpgScreenshot_20210712-184953_YouTube.jpg.55becf8ab073ff73c56dc82c1c201c3b.jpgScreenshot_20210712-185002_YouTube.jpg.ee9ccc3cdc6a0264bcaa9b4bffddf164.jpg

Hope you all enjoy

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, tubs01 said:

Just a thought in my mind, who would operate services if the line was reopened? XC, EMR or a new operator? 

A good question. Although none of their services actually run there or through there…..strange….EMR  run Burton station. Passenger services are entirely XC.  Reopening the Ivanhoe line has been a topic of discussion for decades and still it seems just that. One question that needs to be addressed is where the line is now sited close to current and developing centres of population ? For instance it no longer could serve Woodville or Swadlincote .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

A good question. Although none of their services actually run there or through there…..strange….EMR  run Burton station. Passenger services are entirely XC.  Reopening the Ivanhoe line has been a topic of discussion for decades and still it seems just that. One question that needs to be addressed is where the line is now sited close to current and developing centres of population ? For instance it no longer could serve Woodville or Swadlincote .

Yes that's one thing that has been on my mind, especially what stations the line would serve. If train starts at Leicester, terminates at Burton and then returns, would it really need to serve any stations other than Ashby and coalville? Moira is so close to Ashby that I see little reason for adding a station there when Ashby is a short drive or walk away, but I'm probably not the one to ask. It's fun to discuss what might be, but even if the project did go ahead (emphasis on if) it would be years before it opened. Still lots of questions to be answered, such as rolling stock. The CRIL (campaign to reopen the ivanhoe line) has often talked about hydrogen powered trains but I honestly doubt anything other than a DMU or 67+Mk3+DvT would be used. (I would prefer the latter option, despite the former being much more likely! :) )

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/10/2021 at 14:25, Ian Hargrave said:

Don't forget that until Privatisation put a stop to it, British rail along with local authorities was working on a scheme to bring back passenger services. Indeed the reopened station at Willington between Derby and Burton was expected to have the bulk of its trains provided by the Derby - Ashby - Leicester service. Because the Burton - Leicester service never happened it left Willington with a very poor service (and unsurprisingly low patronage / financial returns) as it was not worth slowing down cross country services between Birmingham and Derby to call and there weren't that many 'local' type services plying the route.

To return to the Ivanhoe line, as part of the re-opening project British rail did potential station sites were identified and I doubt that if the project were to be re-launched the sites chosen would be any different.

Much hunch (based on Google maps) is it would have had stations at:-

Swadlincote Parkway / Moria, Ashby, Coalville, Kirby Muxloe, Western Park.

If the project was restarted now then it might get a stop at Bardon Hill too to serve the large distribution centres / warehousing and act as a Park & ride for the area.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

27 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Don't forget that until Privatisation put a stop to it, British rail along with local authorities was working on a scheme to bring back passenger services. Indeed the reopened station at Willington between Derby and Burton was expected to have the bulk of its trains provided by the Derby - Ashby - Leicester service. Because the Burton - Leicester service never happened it left Willington with a very poor service (and unsurprisingly low patronage / financial returns) as it was not worth slowing down cross country services between Birmingham and Derby to call and there weren't that many 'local' type services plying the route.

To return to the Ivanhoe line, as part of the re-opening project British rail did potential station sites were identified and I doubt that if the project were to be re-launched the sites chosen would be any different.

Much hunch (based on Google maps) is it would have had stations at:-

Swadlincote Parkway / Moria, Ashby, Coalville, Kirby Muxloe, Western Park.

If the project was restarted now then it might get a stop at Bardon Hill too to serve the large distribution centres / warehousing and act as a Park & ride for the area.

Any idea where the station would have been in Ashby? I don't know if it's different with privatisation, but with the old station building being used as offices, with the platform and canopy gone, I'd have assumed a new station would be built instead (I say station, but more likely a platform, bus shelter and ticket machine affair) but of course I can't really think of where it could be built. Thanks for bringing up the BR project anyways, I already knew about it but not that much :)

Here are some photos of the platform, or what is left in 2017. If I need to take them down please do say, photos from Ashby museum. I've also included a picture of the station while it was open, and just after it closed so you can see what it used to look like.p18-0010.jpg.0ff67ac91d6703260770c2213e5d9ba1.jpgp18-0010a.jpg.24b407bb9a4ddfcf3b4d7db743b55ae9.jpgp18-0009.jpg.59b6236eb69bad4d71ac4e0262eee937.jpgp18-0009a.jpg.a1ce285b127f05a5f677e575b3927da8.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, tubs01 said:

Here are some photos of the platform, or what is left in 2017. If I need to take them down please do say, photos from Ashby museum. I've also included a picture of the station while it was open, and just after it closed so you can see what it used to look like.p18-0010.jpg.0ff67ac91d6703260770c2213e5d9ba1.jpgp18-0010a.jpg.24b407bb9a4ddfcf3b4d7db743b55ae9.jpgp18-0009.jpg.59b6236eb69bad4d71ac4e0262eee937.jpgp18-0009a.jpg.a1ce285b127f05a5f677e575b3927da8.jpg

p10-0975.jpg.220d88a4e2751c44f6938a1e1df819e8.jpgIn service and after closurep09-0482.jpg.4bedc6360a7ea53b38e5291fa248441d.jpg

• Like 1

I moved away from Swad in May 2020, and a mate of mine was, and still is the Signalman at Moira and Bardon Boxes, and its is used as required, although he has regular shifts of duty.

The Underground workings finished some time ago, and another mate was a GBRF Driver at the time, and I would go to the Footbridge at Gresley, when I knew he was coming through for a Toot and a wave.

The old Colliery sidings are still in place but over grown on the South side of the A444 near the Bison Plant. 

I know little more than that.

Sorry I'm late to the Party:o

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I moved away from Swad in May 2020, and a mate of mine was, and still is the Signalman at Moira and Bardon Boxes, and its is used as required, although he has regular shifts of duty.

The Underground workings finished some time ago, and another mate was a GBRF Driver at the time, and I would go to the Footbridge at Gresley, when I knew he was coming through for a Toot and a wave.

The old Colliery sidings are still in place but over grown on the South side of the A444 near the Bison Plant. 

I know little more than that.

Sorry I'm late to the Party:o

Google Earth suggests the curve is still there but the sidings have been lifted (and now being build over).

• Informative/Useful 2