Early Intermodal Operations

trisonic

I'm interested in seeing (non-published photos) of the early workings of both:

1. Freightliner

2. Southern Pacific

If anyone would like to insert photos of both trains and facilities - with dates if possible, I'd be grateful...

Can I just remind everyone that this is a truly International subject.

Best, Pete.

There's been a couple of threads I can recall on early Freightliner ops on here, including one using NRM archive images, might be worth seeing if the threads can be moved?

PS - Ooooh, shiny new forum section! :D

Sudden demand for new forum section, spread the word!

Thanks, Pete.

Doubt it, they would need to be air braked and rated for 75mph, which would have been very rare in the late '60's if indeed there were any at all. Probably why passenger coaches were used as a temporary measure.

There were some modified 10ft boxes to provide guards accomodation on early freightliner services. From what I've heard the ride quality left a lot to be desired!

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part4/caboose09z04.jpg

There were various redundant carriages used as 'guard's vans' in the early days; I think they were mainly ex-LMS types. At the time, BR and ASLEF had a long-running dispute about guards (who were NUR members) riding in the rear cabs of locos on fully-fitted trains.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More from Pathe

More early Freightliner content 1967

Container handling, state of the art 1968

Bremen celebrates their 100000th container (1968) - includes some scenes which would make a modern H&S official shudder...

Sea Freightliner I at Harwich (1968)

More early intermodal - assorted shots, firstly of a ship being unloaded, then a nice early straddle carrier, some of the equipment is marked PLA (Port of London Authority? so Tilbury?)

Tilbury straddle carriers when new (1968) - "making room for those all important exports!"

The Anglo-French Freightliner service via the Dunkirk ferry (1967)

Archived