East Germany photos, c1994

CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium

Almost 20 years after the event, I've finally gotten around to scanning and uploading the photos from a week-long, Berlin-based spotting trip organised by STARS. We seemed to visit pretty much every depot, works and stabling siding within a 100km radius of Berlin. My friends (including steve1 of this parish) and I did take 2 days out of the spotting-heavy schedule, so missed some numbers - instead we spent a day in Warsaw and then a day (unsuccessfully) chasing Polish steam.

I think many of this batch are at Cottbus shed and works. Withdrawn steam still littered the place, plus recently stored ex-DR 118s

There are more to come, some wagon photos and a few more locos. And the Polish stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice pictures. Could some of the roundhouse pictures be from Berlin-Schöneweide? The brickwork matches my pictures of that shed very closely.

Yes, that was one of the shed we visited and you're the 2nd person to suggest it. 

Berlin Pankow has also been ID'ed for a couple of the other photos.

I'll have a good rummage around at the weekend and see if I still have either the itinery and/or the post-trip report.

The ex-Kriegslok Br.52s are of interest. As far as I'm aware 52 6666 is still with us, and in working condition. The other 52s missing motion parts and other components may have been used as Heizloks (stationary steam suppliers) for various factories and other organisations; this was the fate of a good many DR engines following withdrawal, including at least four of the 01.5 Pacifics. Other engines became Ersatzteilspender - replacement parts sources - and were cannibalised.

Eisenbahn Journal reported that some madman bought 13 of these Heizlok 52s (at least one of them may be the one in your photo collection, with the remains of a plastic bag over the chimney) and had them moved to a site at or near Tuttlingen. That was back in about 1994/5. They might still be there today.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, 52 6666 is still in service, albeit with a different tender. I've an old Lilliput 52 to renumber (once I've shortened the cab) as uber-beast 6666!

Bernd Falz (I think) is the chap who bought up all the demic 52.80s - Herr Taigatrommel of this parish visited the museum at Falkenberg where most of the hulks reside last year:

9089722051_e6c8797ed1.jpg
f3 by Richard Bucknall, on Flickr

The ex-Kriegslok Br.52s are of interest. As far as I'm aware 52 6666 is still with us, and in working condition. The other 52s missing motion parts and other components may have been used as Heizloks (stationary steam suppliers) for various factories and other organisations; this was the fate of a good many DR engines following withdrawal, including at least four of the 01.5 Pacifics. Other engines became Ersatzteilspender - replacement parts sources - and were cannibalised.

Eisenbahn Journal reported that some madman bought 13 of these Heizlok 52s (at least one of them may be the one in your photo collection, with the remains of a plastic bag over the chimney) and had them moved to a site at or near Tuttlingen. That was back in about 1994/5. They might still be there today.

Yes, it was Bernd Falz who bought a load of decripit steam locos which he formerly stored on a private site at Juterbog.  These now form the basis of the Falkenberg collection.

If I understand correctly, Herr Falz also established the similar collection at Hermeskeil (not that far from Frankfurt Hahn, indeed a lot nearer than Frankfurt itself).

post-10122-0-47814100-1395356214_thumb.jpg

The LCGB produced a listing of preserved locomotives and railcars for Germany in 2010 (3 volumes, 200pp total) which is fairly complete and current for these sites.

Pots and kettles (the irony) to call these collectors "nutters" when rthere's a whole thread on this site devoted to a manky Peak.  Far more chance of these steamers being returned to service than that wreck.

I was paraphrasing Horsetan, getting mixed up on who said what.  Having been to Falkenberg, there is steady restoration going on, but it's hampered by theft of parts- the site has had to be surrounded by high fencing now.  It's going to be a mammoth undertaking if there's an intention to get them all running or even cosmetically restored.  Whatever the eventual outcome, it was a real treat to walk amongst the dead/sleeping giants.

Personally, I do see it as a little mad, but then I'd say many preservation projects seem that way.  I often wonder how Britain supports just as many preserved railways as it does, with such regular operations- the scene on the continent sees far fewer operating days, though of course has some events on a much grander scale- I'm looking forward to visiting Dresden for the Dampfloktreffen and Dresden-Leipzig 175 celebrations in just under three weeks' time.  Parallel running on two different main lines?  Oh my word...!  Hopefully CloggyDog (& I) will have more pictures to add to Flickr afterwards- and of course, I'm looking forward to seeing any more of twenty years past.

My comment was tongue in cheek, not a criticism.  If it wasn't for "nutters" and "madmen", there wouldn't be a preservation movement as we know it.  Those now lauded as heroes would certainly have been given those labels (and admitted to them) - the likes of Alan Pegler come to mind alongside an army of those who sunk their hard-earned savings into salvage projects.

I haven't yet made it to Falkenberg and have yet to revisit Leipzig - one of the few places that I saw during the DDR regime that I haven't returned to after reunification.

• 2 weeks later...

.....Far more chance of these steamers being returned to service than that wreck.

The great benefit is that they are fundamentally Einheitsloks, so standard parts are or should be relatively easy to procure. Eisenbahn Journal did appear to think that these 52s were not worth the trouble of restoring.

Who's the greater nutter? A man who buys a joblot of semi-derelict / cannibalised 52s? Municipal councils who put an engine on a plinth, and then let it deteriorate over a few decades (see 50 1650)? Or a private collector who effectively does the same thing (see 01 180, only recently returned to Germany after three decades static in the open in Switzerland)?

The great benefit is that they are fundamentally Einheitsloks, so standard parts are or should be relatively easy to procure. Eisenbahn Journal did appear to think that these 52s were not worth the trouble of restoring.

Who's the greater nutter? A man who buys a joblot of semi-derelict / cannibalised 52s? Municipal councils who put an engine on a plinth, and then let it deteriorate over a few decades (see 50 1650)? Or a private collector

Except that the 52s were built by so many different firms and with so many different variations.

I wonder how many of the currently running versions are bitsas.

As so many survive money spent on restoring wrecks might not be a good investment.

Ironically back around 1993 the Russians were selling off locos from the strategic reserve for between 5k and 10k DM each.

If I could have found a Skoda built machine with a welded boiler I would have been very tempted. :jester:

Bernard

...back around 1993 the Russians were selling off locos from the strategic reserve for between 5k and 10k DM each.

If I could have found a Skoda built machine with a welded boiler I would have been very tempted. :jester:

You may have had to regauge it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm looking forward to visiting Dresden for the Dampfloktreffen and Dresden-Leipzig 175 celebrations in just under three weeks' time.  Parallel running on two different main lines?  Oh my word...!  Hopefully CloggyDog (& I) will have more pictures to add to Flickr afterwards- and of course, I'm looking forward to seeing any more of twenty years past.

Here's the best of my pics of that trip, plus our visit to the Bw Dresden Altstadt museum depot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10222197@N07/sets/72157644103644944/

I've slowly added more to the 1994-visit album linked to earlier too... I *think* that's now complete, though (as last weekend's tidy-up showed) further pics may yet surface!

Here's the best of my pics of that trip, plus our visit to the Bw Dresden Altstadt museum depot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10222197@N07/sets/72157644103644944/

I've slowly added more to the 1994-visit album linked to earlier too... I *think* that's now complete, though (as last weekend's tidy-up showed) further pics may yet surface!

In case anyone (like me) is puzzled by the "P.St.E.V." axlebox - apparently that was what the former KPEV became post-WWI and the abdication of the Kaiser, but before the formation of the DRG.

See here: http://www.worldrailfans.info/forum/index.php?/topic/1336-pstev-vs-kpev/

I should have looked more closely at 24004!

• 1 month later...

Almost 20 years after the event, I've finally gotten around to scanning and uploading the photos from a week-long, Berlin-based spotting trip organised by STARS. We seemed to visit pretty much every depot, works and stabling siding within a 100km radius of Berlin. My friends (including steve1 of this parish) and I did take 2 days out of the spotting-heavy schedule, so missed some numbers - instead we spent a day in Warsaw and then a day (unsuccessfully) chasing Polish steam.

I think many of this batch are at Cottbus shed and works. Withdrawn steam still littered the place, plus recently stored ex-DR 118s

There are more to come, some wagon photos and a few more locos. And the Polish stuff.

Blimey! There's some memories there. :O

Incidentally, I spotted myself in the phot of 142 340-9 :sungum:

steve

Hi,

In case anyone (like me) is puzzled by the "P.St.E.V." axlebox - apparently that was what the former KPEV became post-WWI and the abdication of the Kaiser, but before the formation of the DRG.

See here: http://www.worldrailfans.info/forum/index.php?/topic/1336-pstev-vs-kpev/

I should have looked more closely at 24004!

did you know that there never was what KPEV abbreviated (Königlich Preußische Eisenbahn-Verwaltung)? Take a look at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Prussian_Railway_Administration

Kind regards

Felix

Hi,

did you know that there never was what KPEV abbreviated (Königlich Preußische Eisenbahn-Verwaltung)? Take a look at Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Prussian_Railway_Administration

Kind regards

Felix

Something of a surprise, and my German is probably not up to the task of checking the veracity of the article (which quotes only a single source), though I do note the absence of the abbreviation "KPEV" in early official documents and publications (mainly from the 'twenties, I haven't checked further).  Nevertheless "KPEV" appears to have become the de facto method of referencing the former Prussian state railways.

Archived