Strange Phenomenon with Lenz Decoder

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Just had a frustrating evening trying to work out what is wrong here (without success!).

I have recently converted my Lima DRC (which has a Black Beetle Motor bogie) to take an 8pin decoder.

(I previously had hard wired in a Lenz Silver Mini + and it worked fine but was a bit of a rats nest.)

post-6208-0-66264600-1394840559_thumb.jpg

(The 4 pin socket is for lights)

I have now fitted a Lenz Standard +, which can be seen in the well of the railcar.

All seems to be fine when a new decoder is first fitted, using default settings, before re-programming some options.

As the railcar is No.22 I use that for the DCC address. (using 2 digit address mode)

Programming using a Sprog with Decoder Pro3 all the CVs are written, seemingly correctly, however the motor now only has a top speed about half what it had before programming :scratchhead:

Setting everything back to the default settings (including address 3) manually makes no difference to the top speed.

However if I do a hard reset (write 8 in CV8 the top speed returns to normal.

What seems to be causing the problem is the address. If I use a long address everything is fine, if I use a short one the top speed is halved and can only be corrected with a hard reset.

This happens on three different Lenz Standard + decoders.

Any suggestions what might be the problem?

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like you have the switching speed function on in your command station on whatever address you are using as the short address. By default this is F3, See CV 58 of the user manual.

http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/Manuals/silvermini.pdf

Turn off F3 on your controller and you should get normal speed.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like you have the switching speed function on in your command station on whatever address you are using as the short address. By default this is F3, See CV 58 of the user manual.

http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/Manuals/silvermini.pdf

Turn off F3 on your controller and you should get normal speed.

Andi

If I adjust the CVs I want without changing the address from default 3 everything seems to be fine.(Start volts, mid volts, top volts, light functions etc.)

If I then change the address from 3 to 22 it goes to half speed. Changing it back to 3 doesn't re-set it. (unless I do a CV8 = 8 routine!)

If, when starting from a full reset, instead of using 22 as the new address I use 1022 it doesn't go to half speed mode.

It suggests to me that there might possibly be an error in th Decoder Pro .xml file which is turning on the switchng speed mode when you select a new short address.

I'll check which CV is used and see if it changes.

Keith

EDIT it worked fine on the Silver Mini +, I didn't change anything on the Lenz handset when I put the new Standard + decoder in, just programmed it on Decoder Pro3.

The decoder files have been updated since I programmed the Silver mini.

• RMweb Premium

XML is basically a text-file format, so you should be able to read it if you open the file. As for understanding the syntax, that's a different matter ;)

If you get XML Notepad (free) it lays it out in a logical format

Does the same thing happen if you program the decoder from a normal controller (i.e. not via the Sprog+DecoderPro) per chance?

Haven't tried that, although I was using the handset to do the CV8 reset, so I could change the short adress with it.

Cheers

Keith

If you open the SPROG console in DecoderPro, when programming, you can see exactly which CVs are being written.

It will be writing CV29 to enable short addressing as well as the address in CV3. I suspect it may also be toggling the bit in CV29 that selects the speed table. What do you have in the speed table CVs and in Vstart, etc?

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Andi

It does look as this may have been the problem

If you re-map the function keys to do other things they do not seem to be mutually exclusive.

So setting F3 to operate a light does not stop it from also changing the speed function when operated

F3 is set as default to operate the switching speed mode. Disabling it in Decoder Pro cures the problem.

Cheers

Keith

Archived