Waddon Marsh Revived!

Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to see you are selling Pete, If I wasn't already planning my new layout I would have taken it at that price!!! Best of luck to Gridwatcher...

Armchair modelling doesn't have to be limited (apa box, apa box, apa box, apa box) so Good luck with whatever you choose next (apa box, apa box, etc...)

Steve

• Like 2

I can hear this faint sound in my head, Steve. It couldn't be, could it? It is! It appears to be the call of N. Damn you!

Seriously, nothing of any modelling description for a while - I have a little too much going on elsewhere, more's the pity. Doesn't mean I can't keep tabs on what the rest of you are up to...

Pete.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I look away for a few pages and the things being sold?!?

Best of luck to gridwatcher with this. And best of with your new project :)

Nestor

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

.....and Waddon Marsh has made it back to Scotland in excellent order. A few things on my mind, backs of houses, to 'gas holder or not to gas holder....that is the question',  SR Semaphores? The scenic break at the far end? Signal box? point motors : slow acting I reckon?

All will be revealed shortly.

Si

Edited by gridwatcher
  • Like 5

The Bachmann one is wrong in style for Waddon Marsh and also toylike in scale. If you look at wiki/Google the size of the real thing would be enormous.To compromise or not to compromise that is the question!? I also notice that the gapo between the council semis and the gas holder had a line of electricity pylons passing through it. Again? Go for it or not? Only 'option' is rather small and iffy Hornby effort or am I wrong? Needless to say my mockers have come up trumps...to my new 33 they have added an early blue (small panel) 2-EPB a 4-VEP and a 4-CEP...and if we need an excuse they will pass....!

• Like 2

Have decided that the Walthers Gasometer is the best looking out there. Seriously under large but at least looks right-ish and is a better size than the Hornby one. Whether it gets chopped to 2/3 relief we will wait and see. Also deliberating whether to power the points of rod them with electroswitch underneath??  Some 3rd rail and pots to by for the short section not laid by Pete going away from the station heading south. 

• Like 1

Moving on.....amazing what a crappy wet rainy day can do for productivity! The Walthers Gasometer is complete (chopped to fit) and awaiting proper paint, nice kit too! This is only grey primer but helps. First of 2 semis has been cut to fit and planted to see how they look too. They tow will be in 2/3 relief to make space for back gardens etc. The second I am hoping to put in at a jaunty angle as per prototype! 

post-657-0-46464100-1407051560_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-43194200-1407051636_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-85703700-1407051645_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Pete, were you ever a member of the Carshalton and Sutton MRC when it had the house in Manor Road? If so, I might have known you!

Because of your interest in the WC-W line I have joined the forum. I have been sharing with Ernie my researches done for my table-top "Beddington Lane Halt and Sidings" layout. My father used the line from 1938 to 1971 and my meeting him off the train at BL every Saturday from 1948 to about 1952, being allowed in the SB each to watch his train's progress and exchange the tokens, gave me a love of the WC-W and the 2-WIMs from my journeying on them. In the period my father used the line he reported travelling on 3-SUB, 4-SUB, 4-COR, 2-HAP plus when a 2-NOL and a 2-HAL deputised for the 2-EPBs in 1958/9 before the Tyneside ones arrived. Later there were the 2-SAPs.

The best period to model is 1950 to 1971 when 2-WIMs, 2-SLs and 2-EPBs (both types) were used. 1971 saw the last of the sand trains to Blue Circlesidings pass through WM. Coal in and empties out normally went via Norwood but in diesel days a train of empties went to Totton via Wimbledon. The Fawley oil train always worked in and out from Wimbledon from the mid-1960s. WM was a busy place in this period especially with the non-stopping through trains - freights, EMU transfers, rail tours, ECSs for football specials. So to really benefit from the most WM can offer, a fiddle yard at either end is essential. You might like to consider bring the Wandle Park foot bridge nearer as the break with the fiddle at that end. Then you could add the Croydon 'A' siding - even having an electric steeple cab loco using overhead wires tramway style.

Certainly to achieve the fullest potential of fiddle-to-fiddle with the traffic on offer, I think DCC could score especially when you can run passenger and goods trains at different speeds on parallel tracks.

Look forward to seeing photos as the layout develops. All the best, Colin.

Hi Colin

Having taken Waddon Marsh on and trying to get cracking rather than let it lie around I was rereading Pete's thread. Do you have any recollection of the style of Wandle Park footbridge? Concrete? The other though was a pipe from gas works to gasometer going over ground and over tracks on a gantry. The signal gantry was the other obvious scenic item at the south end but I don't war a working gantry right up against the back scene, as I think it would look odd.

Some images of the 'semis' They were in reality 4in a block  and not semis but space dictates etc etc.... You have no idea how difficult it is to make a diagonal cut through a 3D shape at a jaunty angle. Semi one straight cut reasonably easy, semi 2 ....(some swear words) But alls well. The road to the left of the gas holder obviously curves away and the corner houses were not square on to the railway. A selection of fencing, panels, larch lap, feather edge available for gardens as all appear to be different in Waddon Marsh so all will be different on the model! High security chain link or Knightwing spear fence around the gas holder, are in stock here or on the way. Expect a period of quiet for a few days now as I have 3 days in Thurso/Wick/Black Isle area. The building here are simply built and primed with plastic primer. No detail as yet. 

post-657-0-37596800-1407068145_thumb.jpg

post-657-0-48073800-1407068192_thumb.jpg

• Like 3