Waddon Marsh Revived!

Pete 75C

Further to Ian's question of which era for troughing. I have found a run of troughing parallel with the Goods Siding in Dave's 1972 view of BL Sidings from the pointwork into the Sidings as far as can be seen in the direction of BL. Unfortunately, there are few photos taken here but from those taken in 1949, 1954 and 1959, there are no signs of this troughing. Interestingly enough, the section of the Goods Siding track passed the water tower to the junction with the Passenger Line certainly was sleepered in concrete in the late 1950's.

So Pete can trough away to his heart's content for the 1970s!!! Mind you I now have to decide what to do as I attempt to portray the 1950 to 1970 period!!! Certainly I like his idea of obtaining accuracy. Colin.

On my next visit to Sainsburys Purley Way, this morning, I took the opportunity while my wife was collecting double Nectar points on TU clothing, to do another site visit with my camera. The first shot is of the "token" Stadler duty on line 3 with 2557 Wimbledon bound and on the site of the original Waddon Marsh 'halt'. The next two are for Ernie to correctly position the gasworks headshunt buffer stop!!! But look at my discovery in the undergrowth, in the next two views. Pete here is your prove that a concrete trough run ran from the bridge and along the south side of the gasworks headshunt!!! Note that at this point there was a cupboard as its base can clearly be seen. Then the finale, reminding me of the years 1985 to 1998 when I had dealings with John MacMillan, his company's (MacMillan Williams Solicitors) advertising tram (2534) at the present day Waddon Marsh 'halt'. Enjoy, Colin.

post-22373-0-11187700-1398352866_thumb.jpg

post-22373-0-44881500-1398352894_thumb.jpg

post-22373-0-72659100-1398352929_thumb.jpg

post-22373-0-82241000-1398352970_thumb.jpg

post-22373-0-27590600-1398352998_thumb.jpg

post-22373-0-00909300-1398353027_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Having recently threatened to have a go at blackening some Code 60 bullhead conductor rail, the results are shown below. Really rather pleased with the result. As stated, I don't ever remember the 3rd rail to be shiny, rusty or dirt brown - it always had an oily black appearance.

Using Carr's Metal Black for Nickel Silver, a first attempt was made at blackening the rail by using a cotton bud. Very patchy result and not at all what I was hoping for - the rail discoloured in places and in other places took on an almost blue sheen.

Thinking immersion might achieve a better result, I hit upon a problem... a 24" length of bullhead rail is not like a 3 link coupling and cannot simply be dipped using tweezers. After a little head-scratching, I found a short length of 15mm BPEX barrier pipe left over from our recent house renovation. This is the flexible pipe used to connect hot and cold water supplies using special push-fit plumbing fittings. A snug fitting cap was pushed over the end of the pipe and sealed with many layers of insulating tape. A quick test using tap water confirmed that the end was water tight. The entire 50ml bottle of Metal Black was poured into the pipe, filling it to just over halfway. Six lengths of bullhead were then placed in the pipe, agitated slightly and then left alone for 5 minutes. Using tweezers, the rail was then removed and put back in the pipe the other way round. After another 5 minutes, the rail was removed and left to air-dry. The fluid was carefully put back into the container for future use.

The result is a chemical satin-black finish for the entire length of the rail, and unlike painting, shouldn't chip or flake over time.

If I had painted the conductor rail, no doubt some paint would have been removed when threading the insulators over the rail. I'm pleased with the result and I thought this method may be of some use to others, so I might start a "how-to" post for it. Pete.

attachicon.gifwaddon_027.jpg

LBM.

Been doing this for a few years now on running rail in handuilt track.

Dave

Apologies for the picture quality - I should maybe have taken these tomorrow morning in better light. 80% of the third rail is in place and has had a little light dusting of track colour, mainly to tone down the brightness of the insulator pots. No flaking from the chemical blackening which is good news... in fact I deliberately attacked a spare section of conductor rail with no ill effects. I'd certainly use this method again. Threading on the individual pots, I can certainly imagine that if I'd painted the conductor rail, it would have chipped and flaked.

post-17811-0-08289500-1398440745.jpg

post-17811-0-52029000-1398440746.jpg

post-17811-0-70241800-1398440747.jpg

• Like 17

Apologies for the picture quality - I should maybe have taken these tomorrow morning in better light. 80% of the third rail is in place and has had a little light dusting of track colour, mainly to tone down the brightness of the insulator pots. No flaking from the chemical blackening which is good news... in fact I deliberately attacked a spare section of conductor rail with no ill effects. I'd certainly use this method again. Threading on the individual pots, I can certainly imagine that if I'd painted the conductor rail, it would have chipped and flaked.

attachicon.gifwaddon_028.JPG

attachicon.gifwaddon_029.JPG

attachicon.gifwaddon_030.JPG

Hi LBM.

My recollection of the Limby Class 73 & Peco pots is that the loco won't run over the 3rd rail it as the pots are too high.

Have you tried it. Hope its OK.

Dave

It's pretty much as I expected, it does just "kiss" the conductor rail in places, and being a chunky wheel Lima, the flanges are on the absolute limit for Code 75. I didn't buy it specifically for this layout, it made its way home with me in a carrier bag because it was cheap and I think one of the better Lima models. I was also getting fed up waiting for the Dapol version... Might have to make do with a 2EPB and a Heljan Crompton to begin with!

• Like 1

Looks really great, Pete. Don't forget to add the troughing run that I found still in situ on the south side of the gasworks headshunt alignment to under the bridge! I suspect it joined up with the troughing you have between the Passenger Line and the gasworks siding.

Thanks, Dave, for the warning about the collectors on the Lima EDLs, I find I still have my fleet of JAs and JBs. The "Bluebell Railway", "Kent & East Sussex Railway" or the Merseyrail will be colourful hauliers of the BL sand train! Colin.

Looks really great, Pete. Don't forget to add the troughing run that I found still in situ on the south side of the gasworks headshunt alignment to under the bridge! I suspect it joined up with the troughing you have between the Passenger Line and the gasworks siding.

Thanks, Dave, for the warning about the collectors on the Lima EDLs, I find I still have my fleet of JAs and JBs. The "Bluebell Railway", "Kent & East Sussex Railway" or the Merseyrail will be colourful hauliers of the BL sand train! Colin.

Pete, looking again at the troughing I found in relationship to that you laid, I have changed my opinion of the run I mentioned. I think what I photographed may well be the bridge end of the troughing you have laid, so I wonder what cupboard was on the base in my photos. Colin.

Pete, looking again at the troughing I found in relationship to that you laid, I have changed my opinion of the run I mentioned. I think what I photographed may well be the bridge end of the troughing you have laid, so I wonder what cupboard was on the base in my photos. Colin.

Looking further into Ian Docwra's photos of WM on Flickr I think the photos I took of the troughing was where the pile of rubbish is on the right hand side of one of his views in line with the start of the platform. I see that this troughing continued all the way along the south side of the line towards Wandle Park. Colin.

LBM.

Been doing this for a few years now on running rail in handuilt track.

Dave

Was there any change in the colour of the third rail when the change was made from "gravity" shoes to "sprung" ones, please? I would have thought the former left more arcing deposits and the latter gave a cleaner top surface.

Not much to report this week... I've created the bank alongside the gasworks incline using some knaufboard foam but that's about it, not even worthy of a pic, sorry. After an unexpected refund from HMRC, I'm drowning in plasterboard and plumbing fittings in a final push to get the top floor of the house finished. SWM(sometimes)BO would not be too impressed if I were to concentrate on the layout when I could be fitting toilets and waste pipes. Ah well. More soon (I hope). Pete.

• Like 1

Not much to report this week... I've created the bank alongside the gasworks incline using some knaufboard foam but that's about it, not even worthy of a pic, sorry. After an unexpected refund from HMRC, I'm drowning in plasterboard and plumbing fittings in a final push to get the top floor of the house finished. SWM(sometimes)BO would not be too impressed if I were to concentrate on the layout when I could be fitting toilets and waste pipes. Ah well. More soon (I hope). Pete.

And there I was Pete thinking that you were master in your own home :nono:  Join the club Mate :laugh:

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobster

• RMweb Premium

SWM(sometimes)BO would not be too impressed if I were to concentrate on the layout when I could be fitting toilets and waste pipes. Ah well.

The trick is to have some of the requisite plumbing supplies on hand but plead, when challenged, that the store was out of stock of the tool required to complete the job.    :jester:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bob. Been away from RMWeb for a month cracking on with the house renovation so no, unfortunately. My little take on WM is upended in a spare bedroom with a couple of sheets draped over it. I crave early retirement so I have more time to do the things I want to do rather than the things that have to be done! Looks like I'm back to plumbing and plasterboarding for at least another month. Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, yes. With everything else going on (building work, house move etc), I'm not going to get a chance to go any further with this. If there's no interest, I'll store it and hopefully breathe some life back into it in a couple of years! It certainly won't be going in a skip!

Armchair modelling for me for a while, I'm afraid... Pete.

Sorry to hear that you are moving WM on Pete, its a great project, and a credit to you - Lets hope someone takes it on and finishes it - I would have took it on, but too much going on with my O Gauge - If it does not sell, I look forward to seeing it in a couple of years.

Cheers, Bob. 

Yep - that's the plan Bob. I could use the space but it's not life or death - if no-one wants it, I'll store it and it will see the light of day again eventually! I don't need it gone that desperately that I'm gonna give it away. Maybe I'm just tight... ;)

• RMweb Premium

If I wasn't a wholly unrealistic distance away (thereby making shipping impossible) I'd have spoken up before now. At least there's the option of storing the layout if a new home isn't found.  Too many excellent projects have been broken up for want of that.

Thanks Rick. It certainly won't be broken up. If I'm honest, I'm an N gauge roundy-roundy kind of guy, but the location of this little bit of OO holds memories and, because of that, so does the ply and the few bits of Peco stuck to it.

• Like 1