Waddon Marsh Revived!

Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

Very nice... but I have to say the signal box jolts the eye.... could it be replaced with something more in keeping.

In fairness, the box is pretty close to the real one. Add some deep bargeboards to make it even more so.

I'm with Kevin. This box looks passable, and its origins don't shout at me. The wooden top on brick base is a great start, and the proportions aren't too different. I think they also sold tickets there.

The tough thing about this prototype is how to make it feel overshadowed by the power station, which I think was Croydon Elec B, as it did block out the sun a bit, making the environment often seem gloomy. The layout makes it look positively jolly! A very fine model, though, and good that it has been adopted, and to such good effect.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice... but I have to say the signal box jolts the eye.... could it be replaced with something more in keeping.

Griff (love the SR but suspicious of things GWR)

So it's just me who dislikes the windows... I built a similar box from the top of a Wills kit resting on a simple brick base.

Old Lugger you might remember?

Griffpost-1239-0-21213800-1504554828.jpg

I have a dim recollection that the 'booking hall' was a little landing-stage, next to the footbridge, to attain signalbox window level, but that might have been one of the other stations on the line.

K

I think as was mentioned that the signalman sold the tickets? There appears to have been nothing on other side of bridge and path down from road. The shelter changed over the years but this 1970s style bus shelter was there for a good part of our 'notional era' I will play fast and loose with hsitory anyway. Coal trains stopped in reality to Croydon B in 1973 (acc to Pete) but in my world they will drag on until the late 70s.....! The lamps are correct type for 70s and at some juncture in the 80s they were 'modernised' If we choose to run through into later eras some infrastructure will no doubt be a little out of kilter but we still hope to capture the feel of the place. 

• RMweb Gold

I have a dim recollection that the 'booking hall' was a little landing-stage, next to the footbridge, to attain signalbox window level, but that might have been one of the other stations on the line.

K

I do wonder if that might have been Mitcham, or Old Mitcham as the locals called it. That had the unashamed luxury of double track!

I have a dim recollection that the 'booking hall' was a little landing-stage...

I think as was mentioned that the signalman sold the tickets?

I do wonder if that might have been Mitcham, or Old Mitcham as the locals called it. That had the unashamed luxury of double track!

Not sure about Mitcham, but there was a little covered porch and a window at Beddington Lane signal box for ticket issue, see link below.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/beddington_lane/index2.shtml

Also, the following link shows that tickets were indeed issued from the signal box at Waddon Marsh, but no idea until what date.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/waddon_marsh/index7.shtml

Pete.

• Like 2

I've been trying, and failing, to do a total recall act about ticket-issuing at WM. The occasional clearing of the mists suggest that buying a ticket involved going up the signal box steps, then onto a landing. The door was in the centre, and the landing extended across the whole width of the box, and I think the ticket window was on the right of the door, but I'm not totally sure. I also seem to remember the signalman emerging onto the landing to deal with token (miniature staff?) exchange.

I probably last travelled on the line in about 1983, and not again until I went back for a ride on the tramway as soon as that was opened.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

• 2 weeks later...

That "through the trees" photo above is a superb one. It certainly had me fooled for a while.

I've got a good few slides like that, taken in the 1970s, where I was attempting to photograph a common or garden EMU, but somehow managed to photograph a small part of it, and a large part of a shrub.

The General Manager's Saloon had its 'five minutes of fame' as The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana's honeymoon conveyance, of course ....... remember the CD headcode?

post-26817-0-86932100-1505944916_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Try as I might I cannot find any Ratio kit that resembles any part of your picture....give us a clue?!

The clue is deviously hidden in the text.... Will kit!

It's the top of the Saxby and Farmer styled Wills signal box mounted on a simple brick base. I removed most of the glazing bars from the windows and added a simple handrail around the front. This, I hope, gives it the flavour of the Brighton line.

Griff

If you want to build an LBSCR box from the Wills kit with even less effort, try Birchden Junction as a prototype https://www.flickr.com/photos/47422047@N07/5018554910

But, it doesn't bear much resemblance to Waddon Marsh, and it would probably be necessary to use two such kits to get a close approximation to that.

Kevin

A few more from the Waddon weekend through filters and one of the scenic section (just 6 feet) without stock on.

Hi Simon

Thanks for bringing the layout to Ayr. It is a deceptive layout size wise. You've managed to fit in a wealth of detail though. It certainly was a nice change to see a Southern themed layout up here in Scotland.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Busy sorting out stock for Perth. There are some new items to run and finally got the Dapol 73 to behave. Pick ups inside all that oily gear train really is a silly design fault and half of them weren't even making contact with brass wheel hubs. Noisy now too! 

• Like 1

I have returned to this topic after ceasing to continue with my "Beddington Lane" project as providing more trams for John Clarke's "West Croydon" layout took over my time and since then I have reinstated my interest in 009 and the Lynton & Barnstaple.   So it is great to return and see the tremendous progress to exhibition standard.   It looks great - can you still smell the gas works???   Certainly its grime seems to have been cleared away!

When I stopped "Beddington Lane" I had started the conversion of the ABM signal box kit to suit as it was the nearest kit to that box design I could find.   Although I have kept all the other parts I had for the platform buildings, I found I had over scaled the signal box so scrapped it.   Also at that time I had commenced construction of a 2-WIM.   The sides and ends were cut out and a 2-BIL chassis prepared for length reduction.   The single track at its intended location is still there in the garage running its length from fiddle yard to terminal end but still to be completed.   My two 2-EPBs and a 2-HAL still await the day of opening!   One day I will get back into the garage!

Mention was made of ticketing.   Yes, both at Beddington Lane and Waddon Marsh one mounted the signal box stairs to the open platform - on a wet day the signalman might let you in!!!   Otherwise the conductor/guard handled the transaction on-board.   As a pre-teen I used to love collecting the tickets from alighting passengers for Mr. Bennett (the then BL signalman who lived in the house alongside 'his box') whilst he, my father and train crew nattered after I had done the token exchange.   No one worried about the honking motorists awaiting the level crossing gates to open!!!   Very happy days.   The change of headcode from 2 to 1 was to spell the end of that very friendly train service.   Mind you today's service along that line is the best it has ever been but there is no staff to whom to have a good chat.   Maybe silence is golden!        

Like buses, my past wish-list and supporting data are now coming all at once with the PLA Janus due to be delivered this week and Peckett No.74 next April, so my micro 'Inglenook' shunting layout will have to be dusted down next week with buildings and background to be added to take me back to my 26 years with the PLA.  Kind regards, Colin Withey.

Hi Colin

Having taken Waddon Marsh on and trying to get cracking rather than let it lie around I was rereading Pete's thread. Do you have any recollection of the style of Wandle Park footbridge? Concrete? The other though was a pipe from gas works to gasometer going over ground and over tracks on a gantry. The signal gantry was the other obvious scenic item at the south end but I don't war a working gantry right up against the back scene, as I think it would look odd.

Gridwatcher, sorry you did not receive an answer to the above as my time had already been diverted to "West Croydon" where my green 2-EPB and John Clarke's green 2-NOL were static performers!    I did not see your request until day as I had time to read through all 10 webpages.   With the passage of time, have your questions been answered, please?  

I must admit that the sight of the 'foreigners' appealed to me, especially when there was far less variety of rolling stock through Waddon Marsh in the BR blue days.   However, one piece of prototype stock that did pass through the real WM but so far not the model WM is the Hornby BR blue 2-BIL with yellow ends on a charter.   But having just looked up the current price for it, I am not surprised!!!   Kind regards, Colin.