My new project - London K class trolleybus in 1/43

Thanks John; glad you are enjoying the ride!

One of the biggest challenges is coming up soon; I have a few ideas in mind for the trolleypoles which whilst they will not be used for current collection will be sprung and look as authentic as possible.

I do have some clear photos of the booms and suppressors and I think I will be able to create something authentic.... I've found a source of small compression springs and hopefully what I have in mind will work......

Here's my Brussels PCC car build over about three years round about 2000ish, and the Wistow Models/Terry Russell brass London E/1 kit built in the same period.

2ldady0.jpg

• Like 10

One gentleman over this side of the world had an exhibition layout using the Faller system (in HO scale). It included a short loop with an American white metal trolleybus fitted with the Faller steering mechanism (which worked fine even with all that weight) and working overhead pickup to supply a 12 volt motor. It meant that there were no batteries to run flat and the speed was able to be controlled, unlike the normal battery-operated Faller vehicles.

I'm not sure where he got the trolleypoles from, or if he made them himself, but I do know they were made from brass and were sprung.

Just some ideas for you to contemplate, David. :)

Another one is what Liverpool Lime Street boys do, alter the skate so that different vehicles go different routes. I do like the idea if an electrical supply though. DCC it and you could control lights etc as well 

Edited by hayfield

Thanks for the ideas chaps; I will run some conductive paint inside the upper deck window pillars with a view of using overhead current collection - I saw clear conductive paint in Maplins over the weekend and thought 'useful', and on the web even a clear conductive sheet that could be used as glazing!

Equally viable would be self-adhesive copper tape, so a few interesting options there.....

David

PS: I'm expecting some very thin (9 thou) clear glazing material for the cab windows as the stuff I've happily used in the saloon windows is 20 thou and I was concerned that the edges might be too visible around the thin corner pillars - hopefully that will arrive tomorrow, and I will complete the cab equipment and glaze.

Edited by Mister Spoons

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a 00 scale London Trolleybus layout a few years ago using the Faller system with overhead power supply. Regrettably the owner/builder passed away, IIRC it was called Walford.

You are spot on there Phil, Walford Arches by Tony Chlad; There was a couple of articles on this in the model press in the mid 90's, and it looked amazing!

I've done a quick search for images of this super work but found nothing, although a layout called Ridings also looks wonderful; see here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bruce.lake/Layout+Vehicles/Ridings.htm

I've asked the builder of this for some info and invited him here to take a look at 1058

That would be Phil Bertram I believe Jeff; I've tried unsuccessfully to get in contact with Phil through an email address on the David Bradley website; if you could locate a current contact mail address for Phil maybe you ask him to get in touch as he built those very credible trolleypoles in 4mm and I'd be interested in picking his brains on the subject

One gentleman over this side of the world had an exhibition layout using the Faller system (in HO scale). It included a short loop with an American white metal trolleybus fitted with the Faller steering mechanism (which worked fine even with all that weight) and working overhead pickup to supply a 12 volt motor. It meant that there were no batteries to run flat and the speed was able to be controlled, unlike the normal battery-operated Faller vehicles.

I'm not sure where he got the trolleypoles from, or if he made them himself, but I do know they were made from brass and were sprung.

Just some ideas for you to contemplate, David. :)

That would be Phil Bertram I believe Jeff; I've tried unsuccessfully to get in contact with Phil through an email address on the David Bradley website; if you could locate a current contact mail address for Phil maybe you ask him to get in touch as he built those very credible trolleypoles in 4mm and I'd be interested in picking his brains on the subject

I wasn't referring to Phil although Phil was, indeed, working on some amazingly detailed trolley poles, guides and overhead components. His family commitments have got in the way of further developments, at least for the foreseeable future. I don't have a current address for him but I'll see if I can find something for you. He only comes to meetings once in a blue moon, but I think he is still a member of the Model Bus Association of Australia.

The gentleman I was thinking of was a New Zealander who resided in Melbourne for some years. Unfortunately he also passed away a few years ago now.

Edited by SRman

A couple of small objects under construction; the cylindrical thingy is the battery/trolley changeover switch; LT trolleys had a bank of batteries allowing them to operate 'off the wires' for a very limited distance; the drivers seat has been built, and the reverser lever added to the seat base, that's the little black lever on the far right - barely visible in the picture below

2cffjp4.jpg

Additionally in the lower picture is the switch panel, this is located over the offside wheelarch and below the front side window, I've laminated two pieces of 80 thou back to back and once the joint completely set I'll file to fit the appropriate location, and fit some representations of the switches etc....

j7zwns.jpg

hoping that the thin glazing material will pop through the letter box today so I can complete the cab and glaze it.

• Like 4

Last update of the day; the major cab equipment is installed and some of the cab glazing too; I'll be glazing the front lower screens from this sort of perspective with long pointy tweezers - the uppers will have the frame painted on and will be attached from outside as the upper opening section overhangs the lower.... Finally the nearside cab window will be fitted, once some small pieces of gear are placed, the low pressure flag to the left of the panel and a black chunky item on the floor to the right of the changeover switch column.

2mpk75s.jpg

The instrument panel is a photo of the real thing; a little fuzzy and indistinct but as it's only about 6mm across I'm happy with it - also note the poster on the bulkhead, a reduction of the real thing, taken last weekend at EATM. I've also added a variety of similar in-house posters over the interior side windows; pics of these to follow......

• Like 5

I've added the last two cab components (brake pressure warning system and the 'chunk'-no idea what its function is...) and tried to take a pic of these but they are too small!

I have also fitted the lower elements of the front windows (note the tax disc, LT should get 6 month s back on that) and cut the uppers; the red framing is proving a mare, to get it thin, and even on both sides, I have wiped the paint off four times but effort number five is looking good. Using Tamiya acrylics (alcohol-based) for this as they are quick drying and smell of vodka. Once they are fitted I'll post a pic, maybe tonight, more likely tomorrow. I'll be turning attention to roof equipment next.

1e2e1c.jpg

• Like 8

33orzp1.jpg

Front cab windows are installed now, I am about 75% satisfied with these as I feel that the lowers would be better as a plug as per the rear platform and emergency exit....

66w9oj.jpg

There's a slight gap between the uppers and lowers which would be remedied by changing the lowers, and I am not 100% happy with the uppers as the drivers side does not fit perfectly so I could ( and probably will) rework these on Saturday morning..... They are fitted with PVA so hopefully will come out cleanly.

2i05fuh.jpg

Edited by Mister Spoons
  • Like 8

Outstanding work, been following this from the beginning.

Re Ridings/Walford Arches etc.....

I think Bruce Lake builder or Ridings has possession of some of the Walford Arches vehicles, not sure about the layout, I can ask Bob Heathcote, the only problem with that is I'll have Bob and Bruce on my case about a 3d  print Huddersfield Trolleybus.......again!

Everytime I look in this thread I keep thinking about a Tram/Trolleybus layout, possibly set in Bradford.....going to have to stop that to many distractions already.

As I said before superb work and really enjoyed the build thread.

As I said on Thursday I decided that I had to redo the front screens, a couple of hours work Friday evening saw a great improvement, again using dilute PVA to attach the glazing; the lowers took a great deal of time to get right and at close of play I was not satisfied - probably not the best idea to work on 1058 after a long days work.......

ri7uae.jpg

Saturday morning saw further work, test fittings and much tutting and coffee until

13yjabt.jpg

The lowers are plugged in from outside and the uppers reworked for an improved fit; there is a very slight gap on the drivers side still but I can use a minute smudge of quick-set epoxy to even it up, lose the microscopic gap that remains, and then a light brush of Humbrol #19 which should not shrink when drying.

The glazing was glued using epoxy this time as it is the 'final cut', I could not begin to work out how much time it has taken to get these right, but I thought as the front is the 'face' of 1058 it had to be done to the best of my ability......

Edited by Mister Spoons
  • Like 7

2ylrbyo.jpg

Just a catch-up picture - this shows the miniature posters over the windows, installed on the lower deck t'other day. They are reductions of the real thing!

These are the strip posters that LT applied in the last few weeks of trolley operation; I have no idea if the wording is 100% correct but I can't find an original for stage 14 but the style and format are correct as they are based on an original poster from stage one, bearing in mind the scale size for this will be around 15mm it should pass, I will be printing these mirror image on clear film and then painting over the words in yellow as these were attached from inside

2gxpwmg.jpg

They were pasted into the top of the penultimate window on the nearside, as demonstrated in this rather sad image...

CE_LTTrolleybus_Colindale_GeoffPlumb.jpg

Edited by Mister Spoons
  • Like 7

m8nxid.jpg

The final piece of glazing fitted on the lower deck - nearside cab window cut, fitted and installed!

The fit of the front cab windows is pretty good I think; the overhang looks right when viewed from this angle compared with poor old 1499 above.....

Time to hang up the Excel knife for the day as I have to collect Mrs. S from Acton shortly; sadly no 655's to Clapham, or 660's and the only 607's are the limited stop service to Uxbridge!

• Like 7

I've done a little job today that I was not really looking forward to;

2a5i59k.jpg

Lower deck seats completed apart from the top handrails, I refined the technique a bit and saved quite a bit of time.

Assembly was done on a homemade jig to ensure the backs are all at the same angle and it seems to have been a success!

The problem I experienced with the first couple was the edges of the decal flaking a little on cutting and the difficulty of touching these blemishes in; what I did was touch the blemishes in with a Staedtler Lumocolor fine waterproof marker before soaking off, additionally I coated the seat with PVA and sealed the decal once in position with PVA too. Then any further touching up was done with the marker, in preparation for a coat of matt varnish to complete the job once the PVA has totally dried.

The cut-out in the rear seat back is to clear the rear wheel arch which is right-angled where I should have angled it (remember I said earlier in the post that there's some things I'd do differently? That is one of the main ones!)

The handrails will be formed on the simplest of jigs - two brass picture tacks bashed into a spare piece of hardwood, with a pencil line to indicate where to cut 'em so in theory they should all be as alike as two peas in the proverbial pod...... We'll see!

• Like 5

2zplidx.jpg

and now with added handrails!

I used 4 brass picture tacks and drew a line between pairs, thus getting two rails per 'circuit', all identical-ish! not perfect by any means but pretty fair I think; guess it's time to wrap up for tonight as it's a 6am start at work for me tomorrow; and there's a glass of Merlot here with my name on it......

The seats will be mounted on a strip in the style of white-metal bus kits but a bit more subtle; the purpose being to ensure perfect spacing and uniform height and angle, I have the seating plan which shows the location of seats in relation to window pillars - the tops of the handrails on the lower deck are just below window level and stand just above upstairs, and a support will extend beneath each seat from the strip, so the seats are held securely

• Like 3

If and when, you motorize your model have you thought of sound? My recolection of the Hull Trollies and now well over 50 years ago is the "Singing in the Wire" as the Trollies turned through the 90o bend at the corner of Newland Avenue and Princes Avenue.

@ michnich2003; a nice idea there, possibly one for the future and larger scale project - in London and probably elsewhere they attracted the nickname of 'Silent Death', the lack of noise was quite possibly a contributing factor to pedestrian deaths, especially in the wartime blackout!

The loudest sounds were the clack of trolleyheads over special overhead work (frogs, etc.)and certainly in London the motor generator set, crews were instructed to turn off the motor generators on terminus layovers particularly in the suburbs, in a spirit of 'good neighbourliness', and when changing crews outside depots. I think a problem would be triggering sounds at appropriate times, random generator and brake compressor sounds would be fairly easy to achieve, but I don't know how overhead noises could be triggered on-vehicle, rather simpler I reckon to have the sound trigger being a tiny gap in the overhead just before a frog, which when bridged by the trolley head would complete the circuit for the 'clack' sound......

I have a huge Aristocraft PCC tram about two feet long, which is very suitable for onboard sound and a few folk have posted videos of their installs on Youtube, worth seeing!

@ leopardml2341; a very attractive vehicle there! I wonder why they were rebodied after only six years, do you know? A few Londoners were rebodied but this was generally due to war damage, some 'shorties' (B class 60 seaters) ended up being stretched with new chassis too so the only thing left of the original was the fleet number! A couple of the chassisless vehicles were rebuilt on conventional chassis too. The A-suffix bodies were poorly made of substandard wood which necessitated a rebuild after only a few years to eke out a longer life.... The B and C-suffix were much better and some lasted until April 1960, withdrawn for their non-standardness rather than inadequate construction or materials.

Having completed the lower deck seats I have now fitted these, bringing to a close the major construction of the lower deck, there's a few handrails etc to construct and fit, I'm looking at 4mm scale model railway components as such as the shoulderless ones sold by Alan Gibson, which take a 0.45mm wire.

Anyway, my method of seat installation...

2u7lfea.jpg

The 'ladder' method.... the outriggers are not as deep as the long pieces to take into account the textured floor planking which as with the full sized vehicle is only fitted in the aisle; the floors either side are a type of lino....

2uygg85.jpg

The crosspieces on top are to give the correct tilt to the seats and ensure they are all at 90 degrees to the uprights... the longitudinal part being marked in accordance with the drawing to get the spacing right.

oh1i50.jpg

Then the seats are added, lining up the outer edges with a metal ruler; I used Revell polystyrene liquid glue in preference to my usual Plastic Weld as it allows for moving components for a while before setting.

2yluy5d.jpg

Once the glue had set the seat bottoms and ladders were painted with Humbrol 67 dark matt grey, apart from the lower edges to allow for a good glue bond to the floor

jfcldf.jpg

And the view from outside; the yellow strip in the window is the 'Buses for Trolleybuses' poster; the first decal that has beaten our laser printer; it is simply too small to be readable! The effect is ok though.

10gbvbq.jpg

The seat ladders are not noticeable with the roof on, once the upper deck floor is in place the lower deck will be quite dark and the seat mounts will be invisible..... I hope!

• Like 5