Marine Park

ianblenk

Finally got servos fitted to the two signals, I used GF products for this and very good they were too, however fitting them retrospectivley was a real pain especially with the gantry being on an embankment, I still have a little too much slack for the bounce to be noticable, however much better than horizontal pendulums

Scenics just about finished, but would like to include some pigeon crees, to give more N.E. flavour, and I can paint them black and white.

Someone will know the answer to this, on the South Tyneside electrified line the warning notices would have been produced by the LNER, unlike the NER on North Tyneside, anyone got a picture of one?

Thanks

Ian B.

post-6265-0-15116600-1409238853.jpg

post-6265-0-42177400-1409238867.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Finally have fitted Spratt & Winkle couplings to stock that will be shunted and 3 links to fixed rakes.

I have put in perm. magnets but wish I had put in electromagnets as the S&W do have a tendency to uncouple when being brought over the magnet, too late now!

Operating sequence decided upon and printed out (time table is too grand a word)

Jobs to do; Replace bothy with a better one and replace block yard stub with fish and chippy plus some pigeon crees. Should be all ready for Birtley in May 2015.

Just need to sell Bridge of Alford now then I'll be happy

• 5 weeks later...

A plea for help, I am familiar with the workings of fish vans south, but when being returned did the run as express freight? I assume the return workings northward would have to balance out the southward ones to supply enough vans for the traffic does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Ian B

South Tyneside electrics at Marine Park, still a bit work to do on the EPB to tone in the colours. The MLV from DC ends, Mk1 Full Brake sides and a Bachmann chassis and drive, believe me if it could have gone wrong it did.

Almost ready for Birtley in March, but still have to sort out a few couplers, I am using Spratt & Winkle, but bitterly regret no having used electro-magnets for uncoupling, as the wagons tend to part when being puled over the permanent magnets. It has been a good learning experience which will help on my next project 'Simonside', more South Tyneside!

Constructive criticism welcomed.

Ian B

post-6265-0-28880200-1421326222_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just caught up with your superb layout, Ian. Great work and look forward to seeing the layout at Birtley. Love the B&W pics , exactly as I remember K1s in the North East.

To compliment your 62027, here's 62057 and 62067.

post-7898-0-50030900-1421352246_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-54538300-1421352273_thumb.jpg

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Ahhhh, how did I miss your replies!  What a great layout.

The bridge is Mowbray Road, heading towards the New Crown.  Tadema Road on this side of it, the Kingsway behind.  An early photo of this bridge is in one of Ricey's books, he didn't know where it was, I wrote via the P4 website but never got a reply.

I was born a hundred yards from the bridge.....if I can afford to go over for Birtley show I must see your layout!  It's so expensive for a weekend from here :-(

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,

Thanks for posting the photos and the livery info. It was the location of the last photo (Westoe Road?) that inspired me to build Marine park. I will post my interpretation of it. I always found the railways around S.S. fascinating. I took many photos whilst incarcerated in Dr Winterbottom Hall doing my 'tickets' I was fortunate enough to get some of the Ruston down at the blockyard. Alas most of these went missing during a house move back inthe 80's. Whilst loading at Harton I always found the railway staff most helpful and very pround of the railway and its locos. Frank(?) Bond especially, he gave me a tour around and arranged for cab rides up to St Hilda's sidings. Happy days!

Thanks

Again

Ian B.

That's Freddie Bond in the photo of 4 in white.

I went to Riversdale.....sent away from home!  Did you work for Stevies?  Know Don Proudlock??

Neil ex 4EO

Hi Neil & Alcanman,

Thanks for the comments on the layout and the K1 photos.

Yes Neil, I worked for Stevies for 10 years until 1987 then did a degree and went into teaching, now retired. The layout is in West Cumbria, with good binoculars you may be to see it!

Look forward to seeing you both at Birtley, please make yourself known

Ian B.

Yes the New Crown, got banned from there back in the day. I take it that on the Rice photo, the J21 is from the Marsden Railway, that's what threw me, I thought it was down by Dean Sidings,

Thanks for that

Ian B

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that's the photo. I walked past that every day....and was often late for school at Mowbray juniors due to watching the trains!   The photo jumped off the page to me when I bought the book.  Mrs H lived in the same area as a teenager (Cornish import) and also recognised your bridge as soon as I showed her last night - great modelling.

I doubt I will be able to afford to come over, but on the off chance I certainly will say hello.  I'm on tiptoes now, I can see across today it's very clear!

My mate Don had left Stevies long before your time I'm afraid, he was a steam man really. I worked for Bibbys.

Hi Ian,

I cannot believe that I have missed this! It is a fantastic, atmospheric little layout, these are tantalising images!! Any chance of an overall shot to give a full view of the layout? Sounds like you will be at Birtley soon, I will definitely make sure I can get along just to see this!

David

Hi South Tyneside,

Many thanks for the comments about the railway, it is small a diorama really, but I have tried to maximise its potential with an busy operating schedule. It was really  a trail run for a larger model to be called Simonside, which is a take on the arches and Tyne Dock station. I'm hoping to start this after Birtley, but Marine Park will have to go into store!

Here are a few more pics, showing the T.D.E. RSH which is plated for BR running, it is dropping off a plate wagon before returning to the riverside.

Also one of a Tyne Dock Q6 on mineral duties.

I have also included an overall shot which shows how small the whole thing is 3'6'' scenic and 2' cassette yard

Thanks again

Ian B

post-6265-0-88585600-1421589918_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-17668500-1421589932_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-04416700-1421589941_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi South Tyneside,

Many thanks for the comments about the railway, it is small a diorama really, but I have tried to maximise its potential with an busy operating schedule. It was really  a trail run for a larger model to be called Simonside, which is a take on the arches and Tyne Dock station. I'm hoping to start this after Birtley, but Marine Park will have to go into store!

Here are a few more pics, showing the T.D.E. RSH which is plated for BR running, it is dropping off a plate wagon before returning to the riverside.

Also one of a Tyne Dock Q6 on mineral duties.

I have also included an overall shot which shows how small the whole thing is 3'6'' scenic and 2' cassette yard

Thanks again

Ian B

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your response and the additional images You really have packed so much local atmosphere into such a small space, it belies the small size and it looks like you have developed an interesting trackplan to maximize operation. If this is a taster for something bigger then I can safely say I cannot wait to follow your progress. Thanks again for the additional information.

Thanks again,

David

• 1 month later...

Well, all packed up for Birtley next weekend, I hope everything behaves itself. I guess I'm going to have to offer it for sale so I can move on with my next project. It's been a great little layout.

Hope to see you all at the show

post-6265-0-75472800-1425142593_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, it is a nice touch of Les to put the notice on the front of M.P. I do have a South Shields bus which I had on the layout. I'm busy with M.P. successor 'Tynebank' which is a take on the Arches at Tyne Dock, progress is slow, and I've been putting bits 'n' pieces on the Layout Planning section of rmweb. I'm up to the wiring, but as it is electrically interlocked it is taking a while. I had a break this week and Modified a Hornby 01 for a Tyne Docker 63760, think I'll do a few buildings next and return to wiring up nearer Xmas.

Cheers

Ian B

Hi Neil,

Great photos, I also got ones taken from the top from South Tyneside Archives. The gradient is given in 'Staithes to Conveyor', but will be slight over the 5' I am using. deffo need to mock up a Wright's Biscuit poster!

Ian B

• Like 1