Brass wheelsets

Are you looking for scale wheel sets or generic ones?

I have fitted Bachmann wheel sets to all of my wagons which I use on my Kadee fitted layout and have no problems in operation but sometimes they can be difficult to find depending on when the last batch arrived in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

They almost certainly have steel axles, which you don't want. Early Bachmann models had non-magnetic wheelsets, but they switched to ones with steel axles many (10?) years ago. If you could find people with the older wheels, that don't use Kadees, you could offer to swap them for the newer ones.

I use the ones that Brian has detailed on my stock, all of which is Kadee fitted, and whilst they do indeed have a steel axle (just tested with a spare #322 magnet) they are not causing my wagons to drag.

I will say that my magnets are set almost flush to the rail head plus all my wagons and coaches are well weighted to improve running and this may have some bearing on my experiences.

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking for something which can be a direct swap for the ones that come with Bachmann models for OO scale. I'm also in Sydney, Australia which makes things a little more difficult sometimes.

Maybe being in Sydney isn't such a problem.

Try Steam Era Models. They used to make British wheel sets, with brass axles etc. They don't advertise the British ones any more, but you can ask about 'special orders'. I haven't purchased anything from David for years.

http://www.steameramodels.com/wheels.htm

Archived