Blackpool Tramway N gauge

Brush

Hello.

Having Recently Purchased a Balloon Body shell in N gauge, I have decided to start making a layout to run this tram on when completed. This layout would be set in Blackpool of course but I am still thinking of a prototype, I was thinking maybe Blundell street where they unload the trams and sometimes display them on summer days.

I do like the idea of doing a 'snow' Blackpool tram layout that would certainly be interesting to model luckily I have snowploughs coming with my tram kit anyway :sungum: or I could do little bispham loop, I want the time period to be 2000-present really though the idea of the 70s in Blackpool is promising.

well I hope you like my idea and it would be great to have some feedback.

-Brush

• RMweb Premium

Yes there is something about the Blackpool trams that is just endearing. I remember being entranced by what I later found out were balloons. As a wee boy I was screaming to go into a big tram instead of the smaller ones, that we're presumably rail coaches- we'll I was three at the time. Have a look at the Thornton clevelys layout on here, if you haven't already seen it. Superb modelling

I agree, it's something about those balloons, but I do have a soft spot for the brush rail coaches. I had a detailed look at it because the last time I saw it was some time ago, I then swiftly ordered a tram kit this weekend and I'm currently deciding on the location.

Regards

Brush

Team TG wish you the best of luck with your new project!  :senile:

As you may know we developed a lot of the custom stuff for our project most of which we have spares of or can make up, such as fencing etc.

Doing a prototype is a good idea, its worked well for us, its then more the challenge of trying to recreate a location to the best of your ability, plus you get to visit, do research and in our case talk to local people, find out more and look for those odd or rare photos.

We took a few photos of Little Bispham Loop last year, when we were considering it as a second layout or replacement for Thornton Gate at some point but it was just one idea and would have been years off, so we might be able to share the research photos we took at some point if this is going to be your prototype.

Anyway as I said best of luck will follow with great interest.  

Ps Snow is fun to do to 
:yes:

post-15873-0-35989100-1386977876_thumb.j

Thanks Tom and the TG team, :)

I've nearly decided to model little bispham mainly because it requires minimal scratch building of structures yet still attracts interest, though a snow layout somewhere on the network.

Hi all

I decided that I wouldn't model little Bispham for a variety of reasons

Space, the loop wasn't ideal for storage and was quite wide

A couldn't find the track work

But I didn't give up so I decided to model a fictional location as yet unnamed on the promenade with the houses and hotels in the background.

I went to the Timber and ply shop today and got my small but purposeful layout boards.

I couple of days ago I also received my balloon shell and accessories from Tom at Thornton gate, it is brilliant! And captures the balloon in N gauge wonderfully I wondering what livery to paint it, maybe balloon 715 in white.

Anyway I attached two early photos of the layout and tram.

Kind regards

post-22397-0-16985100-1396128469_thumb.jpg

-Brush

Ps: I am also thinking of using Kato 'Unitram' Track has anyone used it at all?

post-22397-0-27784900-1396128576_thumb.jpg

Have you considered the 3 track layout at Bispham or the Cabin before it was changed? Chance for through journeys and stop and reverse? Also a fictional thornton gate where the preservation trust got the permission and lottery funding to build a museum/ depot on the land as was planned a few years ago?

Cheers

Mark

Good Idea, I haven't got the final trackage yet, so it could be a option I think I am going to use kato unitram tram track and weather it to look like Blackpool. I think Tom has Thornton Gate covered and I don't have the space really but Thank you for the idea! :-) 

I have nearly decided on an era and then I can turn my balloon into its livery, I have recently been looking at 1960s-1970s again but present day 2004-2011 will probably be the way, I have shortlisted a few liveries

Balloon 715 60s condition

Balloon 717 Today

Balloon 702 -2007

and a few more!

-Brush

I've Always liked the idea of a plain white livery and I have suitable transfers with my kit to do this. 

Balloon 715 carried white from April 2006 to sometime to in 2008.

Any other livery thoughts, I could do any of them (nearly!!)

post-22397-0-62974300-1397332869.png

Archived