Mr Galloway's Engine sheds

Jock67B

Just borrowed a book from my local library service, 'Twilight of Scottish Steam' by Dr David Hucknall -published in 1988 by Haynes. Have been trying for ages to summon up memories of the Hurlford shed interior and lo and behold, Page 16 has a fairly clear shot of the inside of the sister shed at Dumfries! I remember that the windows at Dumfries and Ayr were taller than those at Hurlford and the outbuildings were differently disposed but I feel that I should be able to scale the roof beams, inspection pits etc. for Hurlford from this image as the Galloway sheds seem to stick to a formula as shown at the start of LMS Engine Sheds Vol.7. If anyone can comment I would be most grateful. 'ian@stennochs' models Muirkirk and I assume used the scale shed drawings from this book - although 4 roads rather than 6, it would appear that the roof support methods were similar to the larger version. (If you would find it useful I can mail a scan Ian). Whilst on this subject does anyone know what was used for roof covering on these sheds and the coaling stages at these depots - none of the images I've found make this clear and I simply cannot remember as it is so many years since I lived there!

Thank you for taking the time to read this ramble and kind regards to all,

Jock67B.

Jock, here's a picture showing some more detail of the roof supports at Dumfries:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=34726

I've seen at least a couple of other photos taken from the same viewpoint (I've read that this view wasn't through a window as this caption says, but involved removing a brick in the back wall). I can't remember where those pictures are - if I do, I'll post again.

Thanks pH,

This shot was actually taken through a doorway from memory(I was born in Dumfries and only moved to Hurlford when I was 5 - my dad was a G&SWR driver!). The St Mary's road bridge provided a pedestrian access point but I don't have this image and it certainly helps with modelling data. Can't seem to discover the roof covering material however! Love your Flickr site. Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Hi Jock,

All four of the Galloway sheds were similar in construction and at a glance look to be identical.  However the three big sheds, Ayr Hurlford and Dumfries road ones had subtle differences.  They did share similar roof construction which was slated on the outside.  Muirkirk was of course just a smaller version which is one of the reasons I chose it. Thanks for the offer of scans but I already have copies of the drawings. 

Ayr is still there, only just, although only one three road section and extended at each end with modern cement board rendering which was done when the dmus were kept there.  The shed is shut and awaiting its fate. Probably to be replaced with housing!

Regards,

Ian..

Hurlford: It was a stone built 6 track straight shed with one through road and a twin gable style slate roof.

Dumfries (GDCR): It was a stone built 6 track straight dead-ended shed with a twin gable style slate roof. Sometime during 1930s The shed was re-roofed with corrugated sheeting and the gables rebuilt in brick.

Dumfries (DLLJR): It was a stone built 1 track straight through shed with a gable style slate roof.

Ayr: It was a brick built 6 track straight through shed with a twin gable style slate roof. Sometime during the 1930s The shed was re-roofed with timber and felt. One of the gables was rebuilt in timber. In 1959 The shed was extended at each end over the western 3 tracks using steel and corrugated sheeting to accommodate DMUs. The locomotives being restricted to the remaining 3 tracks.

Muirkirk: This was a stone built 4 track straight dead-ended shed with a twin gable style slate roof. In 1955 The northern 2 bays of the shed were demolished and the remaining gable was re-roofed with corrugated iron sheet. The gable end was also clad with corrugated iron and a new wall, part brick and part corrugated sheet, was built along the opened north side.

Thank you all gentlemen, prompt and very useful information. Now I'm really terrified at the prospect of that many slates to model - makes the supporting woodwork etc. look like a piece of cake! As I have decided to start with a module of a typical G&SWR coaling stage, I wonder whether to slate that and then cover with years of grime? Kenton, your 'Hurlford' link mentions an upgrade to 60ft for the turntable but I have an image of a Crosti boilered 9F being accommodated easily - this being 68ft long, did they further extend to 70ft or is it simply overhanging? Sorry to ask so much but I thought it might be prudent to draw in the turntable as part of the coaling stage module to make the double curve of the hill more convincing. Do you, like Ian, have a particular interest in the G&SWR? Thanks again men, (Still in awe of your scratch building skills Ian!), just wish my memory of what was an incredibly exciting time of my life was better but sadly so many years have passed that it is very dim! It's back to the drawing board. Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Hurlford: It was a stone built 6 track straight shed with one through road and a twin gable style slate roof.

Dumfries (GDCR): It was a stone built 6 track straight dead-ended shed with a twin gable style slate roof. Sometime during 1930s The shed was re-roofed with corrugated sheeting and the gables rebuilt in brick.

Dumfries (DLLJR): It was a stone built 1 track straight through shed with a gable style slate roof.

Ayr: It was a brick built 6 track straight through shed with a twin gable style slate roof. Sometime during the 1930s The shed was re-roofed with timber and felt. One of the gables was rebuilt in timber. In 1959 The shed was extended at each end over the western 3 tracks using steel and corrugated sheeting to accommodate DMUs. The locomotives being restricted to the remaining 3 tracks.

Muirkirk: This was a stone built 4 track straight dead-ended shed with a twin gable style slate roof. In 1955 The northern 2 bays of the shed were demolished and the remaining gable was re-roofed with corrugated iron sheet. The gable end was also clad with corrugated iron and a new wall, part brick and part corrugated sheet, was built along the opened north side.

Hi Kenton.

Sorry to contradict you but Ayr was built in red sandstone, same as all the Galloway sheds.  Ardrossan was built in brick so you may just be confusing the two. 

All the galloway sheds suffered from decay of the gables.  Even early on the windows above the doors were out or heavily repaired. The wooden repair at Ayr was not a very pretty one but would make an interesting modelling feature.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Kenton and Ian, have to agree with Ian - Ayr shed was definitely built in sandstone as I can remember from several visits with my father. Just found an image of B1 leaving what remains of Hurlford and by scaling roughly from the adjacent mineral wagon, the turntable appears to be c.70ft diameter near to the time of complete closure.

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you '26power', superb images which I'll copy with your permission - all such input helps to fill in the complete picture! Apologies for the delay in replying (lots of issues at home that I won't bore you with!). Always touches the heart when I see the name 'Dumfries' in print - my birthplace after all and now some 6 years since my last nostalgic visit. I now going to the study to unearth my Burns anthology!! I'll visit your website this week.

Thanks once again and kind regards,

Jock67B.

Not my pictures, I'm just providing links to others pictures which might be of interest to you and help you with your model.

I'm not a native, just here on missionary work!!  Clue to my home city in my profile picture!

Looks like there is a problem with the website - will need to try and get it sorted.

Cheers,

Thank you '26power', superb images which I'll copy with your permission - all such input helps to fill in the complete picture! Apologies for the delay in replying (lots of issues at home that I won't bore you with!). Always touches the heart when I see the name 'Dumfries' in print - my birthplace after all and now some 6 years since my last nostalgic visit. I now going to the study to unearth my Burns anthology!! I'll visit your website this week.
Thanks once again and kind regards,
Jock67B.

Morning '26power', funnily enough 'missionary positions' was normally my fathers reply when he moved us south to Essex in the early sixties. Many thanks for the help,

Jock67B.

PS is that Edinburgh castle per chance?

Anent the reference to the turntable length in post #6: I can't lay hands on the source at the moment, but I'm sure I've read that the 9Fs which worked over the Somerset & Dorset could be turned on the 60ft table at Bath (Midland) shed - as long as the adjacent siding was kept clear, because the overhang of a 9F halfway round would foul any wagons parked there....

Hope this is of interest.

Alasdair

The "Railscot" site is worth a look for historic pictures, and current "news" ones.  This should be the page for Hurlford:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/locationnew.php?loc=Hurlford

Yes, Edinburgh Castle.  This was the logo for Haymarket depot.

Morning '26power', funnily enough 'missionary positions' was normally my fathers reply when he moved us south to Essex in the early sixties. Many thanks for the help,
Jock67B.
PS is that Edinburgh castle per chance?

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, with apologies for the late response, thank you for the input - fantastic and useful images '26power'. I think I have resolved my turntable issue. As Alasdair has posted, I hadn't thought to allow for overhang but I do remember a 'Duchess' being turned there after repair as my dad was the driver! I have managed to locate the photograph with the 'Crosti' (haven't posted it because I'm not sure about copyright) being turned and you can see that the bogie wheel and rearmost tender wheel are only just on the deck rails which would equate to 60ft. Bit of a nuisance as I have a 70ft model - more fun to scratch build anyway?

Thank you both very much for your input, happy modelling and kind regards,

Jock67B.

Archived