The reason for using the Dapol one is that I already have one - had it since the late 80s in fact!  I fancy doing a bit of modelling/bashing, and I am reluctant to fork over cash for a turntable.

Anyway, all moot at the moment as modelling will be suspended for a week or so as I am flying to HK tomorrow.  Decided to attempt KLM from BHX instead of BA from LHR for a change.  Will see how that pans out...  a slightly longer flight time, but much less time to get to the airport than to Heathrow and more civilised time arriving and departing HK.

• Like 1

Doodling with turntable ideas... modified Dapols I should think, nothing bigger needed.  Really the girders should be shallow and under the deck.  Will need some head scratching...

attachicon.gif20180811_162055.jpg

attachicon.gif20180811_155940.jpg

attachicon.gif20180811_160111.jpg

Thoughts anyone?

I agree with others - invert the girders.

post-16151-0-51116100-1534274191_thumb.jpg

This is how Grantham's was done. What I did was to reduce the height (depth) of the girders which made the pit slightly shallower and - I perceive - more prototypical in terms of its depth. Like most turntables, the Dapol (nee Airfix) one is a bit long so you can simply cut the girders to the length you need and adjust the deck length to suit. I didn't make use of the supplied deck in fact; I just glued the girders to a plain piece of 30 thou plasticard and built things up from there.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve built several of the Tichy kits including the boxcar and find them absolutely the best on the market. But they do require a lot of patience and I agree the instructions are not always clear.

Looks like a good plan you have for a turntable.

Edited by MikeHohn

It was HO, Jordan.

I know, but all the same - it was different, in both Theme & looks, & was a major boost to the good Dr G-F's modelling mojo. :yes:

I guess I'm just slightly stunned at such a sudden turn of events. :scratchhead:

The good news is I'm sure all that HO stuff (& OO IIRC) would fund some nice O Scale models :D :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

You’re right, of course, the Arizona theme was promising, and I love the decapods. Good luck with whatever, doc, I know only too well myself that I can build a layout, and the minute I get wheels turning on it, I think “nah”.

Edited by Northroader

Over the next few weeks I shall be dumping my model railroad stuff on the Bay of E, starting with this lot.

post-238-0-01563800-1536422856_thumb.jpg

In the pic:

Atlas Classic

Alco S2

Alco RS11

Alco RSD12 x 2

Alco RSD4/5 Santa Fe

SD35 x 2 one with full hand rail conversion, both lack couplers

all junk really

Kato SD38 x 2 both patched UPY numbers and chevrons

gorgeous runners

Athearn Genesis

MP15AC x 2 (mint)

Undecorated Mikado (mint)

Athearn RTR

SD40T-2 x 2 (early SP, mint)

SD40T-2 (late KCS, part patched)

SD40 x 2 (early SP on one side, patched speed letter SP on t'other)

P2K

GP18 hi-nose N&W blue 

There will be rolling stock too, plus buildings and junk.

What doesn't sell will go to the tip.

PM me if you think there's anything you might be interested in, it's all appeared on this thread at one time or another with the exception of the Genesis Mikado, and the P2K N&W blue GP18.

Preferential rates to RMWebbers!

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Friendly/supportive 1