Intermittent progress, as I am back 'at work' now.  Also, the sheer size of the rebuild took me by surprise.  It's one thing to plan it, quite another to translate it into timber, sawing, screws, yards of Peco track and so on

St Enodoc asked about the name - in its Last Days of Southern Steam mode I was tempted by Mansion House, as the putative extension of the LSWR main line into the City of London.  It's already been fantastically well done by Stephen Grant though,  so I'm a bit stuck on that score.

Anyway, more bodging underway.

20200825_180456.jpg.a51d06d6cca19acdb56e892b4b099136.jpg

20200825_180511.jpg.14e5c5cf1ffec6019d516b1fff35537d.jpg

20200825_180542.jpg.241cb442653f98e18bcb774c34fffa2b.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

It's one thing to plan it, quite another to translate it into timber, sawing, screws, yards of Peco track and so on

Tell me about it!

Continued power to your elbow irrespective - five platform terminus sounds decent enough:locomotive:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Had a jolly old test run again today.  

20200826_170547.jpg.b8e17d057ef9011320192d380a9aea2b.jpg

077 did the honours with a Cravens Set.  I was also going to test a Mk1 rake but for some reason in the past I have removed the close coupling cams...I have no idea why, nor can I find them.  Flipping idiot.  

Here's an overview.  Lots to do on the yard... 

20200826_173739.jpg.5a61e401d3c4fd55f2c0c5bde62b4b77.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Doc

Here is my suggestion for a name for a LSWR City of London station. The line to it would come off a junction north of Vauxhall, heading in a northeasterly direction under the eastern end of Waterloo East. It would then head northwards as to cross the river east of Temple Gardens where the station would be with its front on Tudor Street, facing Bouverie Street and Temple Lane. It could of course travel a tad further north to Fleet Street. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Doc

Does your train set know where it is? The thread is under US and Canadian railroads, you want a London name for it but you run Irish locos and stock? 

I bet the poor thing is as confused as me.

I believe it still uses Code 83 'American' track. ;)

Edit - and American-built locomotives.... :locomotive:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, F-UnitMad said:

I believe it still uses Code 83 'American' track. ;)

Which the correct size for 00 fat bottom track, just the sleepers are too close.

Thing is once painted and ballasted with trains moving over it who looks at the track apart from those who have a track fetish (which is OK to have).

• Like 1

It's supposed to be a generic enough train set to support different modes according to my mood.  So Irish when I fancy a bit of Big GM action and London when I have the Bulleid urge....

Even I may draw the line at Big GMs and Bulleids at the same time.  But never say never, there is a connection after all!

Thanks for indulging my nonsense chaps.  I see some of the other threads descend into handbags at dawn as folk fall out over arcane historical notions and fancies.

Me, I'm just trying to rediscover the joy toy trains brought me when I was 10...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
Typing on phone is still stupid
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

It's supposed to be a generic enough train set to support different modes according to my mood.  So Irish when I fancy a bit of Big GM action and London when I have the Bulleid urge....

Even I may draw the line at Big GMs and Bulleids at the same time.  But never say never, there is a connection after all!

Thanks for indulging my nonsense chaps.  I see some of the other threads descend into handbags at dawn as folk fall out over arcane historical notions and fancies.

Me, I'm just trying to rediscover the joy toy trains brought me when I was 10...

As Joe Strummer sings at the end of White Man in Hammersmith Palais "I'm only looking for fun, F U N"

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2020 at 06:13, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Doc

Here is my suggestion for a name for a LSWR City of London station. The line to it would come off a junction north of Vauxhall, heading in a northeasterly direction under the eastern end of Waterloo East. It would then head northwards as to cross the river east of Temple Gardens where the station would be with its front on Tudor Street, facing Bouverie Street and Temple Lane. It could of course travel a tad further north to Fleet Street. 

Very close to the old Temple Bar. There's a Temple Bar area in Dublin too, I understand, and Wikipedia says there's one somewhere in Arizona near the Nevada state line as well, so Temple Bar would make a nice interchangeable station name...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ah, Mr. P - I see the context in your PM earlier about the SR terminus. I'm still working on that kind of thing myself, albeit slightly differently...

h0kZZJZ.png

You are entirely to blame, what with your 'having fun' and 'playing trains' attitude this just won't stand.

Lovely, lovely progress - the last aerial shot showing the loops just looks FANTASTIC.

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Thanks 1

On 28/08/2020 at 08:53, Lacathedrale said:

You are entirely to blame, what with your 'having fun' and 'playing trains' attitude this just won't stand.

I know!! What happened to standards??!! I bet he's stopped wearing his black tie & tails whilst operating as well.... :nono: :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I spent most of the day completing the platform roads and the wiring, so now trains can enter and leave on all roads... very satisfying.  I'm three turnouts short of finishing the small yard though I did make a start on the trackbed.

20200831_165156.jpg.687fa273f9862d2bae3953eb4316ca99.jpg

20200831_165344.jpg.1b771b3272c9accd0da59248e402e7c6.jpg

I also had a bit of a fiddle about with 603 Squadron in order to determine the DCC chip location.  Dear me what a faff.  Anyway, having managed to get at the socket, I now need an ESU 8 pin chip for it.  I don't think I can handle dcc sound on a steamer just yet.  I've never heard any that sounded halfway decent.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

I am back 'at work' now, so there is less intense activity on the Big Rebuild currently - certainly all the spectacular stuff is now concluded.

Next projects are; complete the yard tracks, install the turntable (I've been mucking about with a 40 year old Dapol kit, as there is insufficient clearance over the underground loops for a Peco well type to be installed) install a mechanical lever frame for the terminus approach turnouts, install electric point motors for the return loop/branch line Junction, fit a DCC chip to 603 Squadron and kadee a growing fleet of green coaches. 

20200903_172050.jpg.c69fe6de3026a8867ec016b9abb5eaba.jpg

This will be digitally controlled, in other words pushed around with a finger.  I need to work out how to power the rails though - another Digitrax AR1 should take care of the 'polarity change' (I know DCC is AC and so doesn't really have polarity as such...)

It's all coming together nicely though, super pleased it's been worth the effort.

20200903_174447.jpg.90356d7ccd14f4defa716853f6d5819b.jpg

• Like 7

Just because I could, I had five EMDs  churning away at the terminus this afternoon.... what a racket!

I also got some uncoupling magnets but no luck at all getting them to work, the KDs are all over the place height wise and getting caught up in the corridor connecters and buffing plates.  Some considerable fettling is called for.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

An 8 pin Zimo MX600R did the job and so 34077 made several trips round the layout.

20200911_174139.jpg.168b33ffcc512cbbe5d85e394718d7da.jpg

On each trip more of the dangly detail bits were removed until the front bogie finally stopped derailing. Shame really, but my minimum curves are 30" and so off came the details... well, my Wrenn Barnstaple didn't have any so not really much of a loss.

20200911_174228.jpg.1b9e28def07eae75017e4cd0f762b897.jpg

From my operating position I can scarcely see what it is never mind tiny bits attached to the buffer beam. I'm awaiting a couple of turnouts and a leverframe so I can move on with the project.  

20200911_171751.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

On each trip more of the dangly detail bits were removed until the front bogie finally stopped derailing. Shame really, but my minimum curves are 30" and so off came the details... well, my Wrenn Barnstaple didn't have any so not really much of a loss.

That's interesting. I have the same minimum radius and I don't have a problem with cosmetic couplings, pipes and so on. Is the NEM pocket actually the problem?