Bringing paints into New Zealand

Morning all.

It's time for me to stock up on my paint store.  Having looked online I've hit a bit of a problem and I'm wondering if others on this half of the planet have been able to get round it.

Both Railmatch and Phoenix Precision are unable to supply overseas; Royal Mail won't carry paint, international couriers are the same.  The only stuff available off the shelf here is the Humbrol acrylic range.

I'm wondering if there are any modellers here or maybe in Oz, who have successfully brought the stuff in privately.  I've got a friend heading to the UK in July and I'm thinking of sending him with some cash and a shopping list, but there's no point if he can't get it onto the plane coming home.

Hoping there's someone out there who can say that they've done it...

Morning all.

It's time for me to stock up on my paint store.  Having looked online I've hit a bit of a problem and I'm wondering if others on this half of the planet have been able to get round it.

Both Railmatch and Phoenix Precision are unable to supply overseas; Royal Mail won't carry paint, international couriers are the same.  The only stuff available off the shelf here is the Humbrol acrylic range.

I'm wondering if there are any modellers here or maybe in Oz, who have successfully brought the stuff in privately.  I've got a friend heading to the UK in July and I'm thinking of sending him with some cash and a shopping list, but there's no point if he can't get it onto the plane coming home.

Hoping there's someone out there who can say that they've done it...

Hi There.

Try here K & L Model Railways

81 Ryrie Street Geelong, Victoria,3220

Phone/Fax (03) 52981895

email: klmodelrailways@optusnet.com.au

If no luck there try one of the sites on here

http://www.amra.asn.au/mansites.htm#aussite

Paint is strictly forbidden in aircraft - hence the fact that no one will ship internationally.

So unless your friend is travelling by ship, you should still not be able to get any brought back.

Hi Andy

I have just read many pages of uk government ,airline and TNT shipping advice. Nowhere can I find any restriction on the shipping of paint. Provided that it is carried in the hold, not hand luggage, and is declared and carries the required warning signs I can find no restriction.

Alternatively TNT will ship with the same safety restrictions i.e. that it carries any necessary safety notice.

I am not a legal expert but please feel free to contradict with sources of information.

Cheers Godders

www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview

http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/home/support/paperwork_and_packaging/dangerous_goods.html

Hi Godders

Try this link

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Prohibited-Goods

Quite specific no solvent based paints.  IF you are a personal customer you can send a flammable liquid such as nail varnish -  30ml per item, limited to four items and a D8000 label.

As usual - all very confusing.

Regards

Ray

Here's Heathrow's advice;

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/heathrow-security/hold-baggage

Point one covers flammable liquids and point eleven covers paint and thinners specifically.

So essentially no, though whether a tinlet or two of Humbrol enamel is any more risky than a bottle of duty free Scotch.....

Hi Silver Sidelines, Arthur

I guess you're right but it doesn't matter anyway which of us was right. The following is the killler:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/prohibited/imports/Pages/default.aspx

The New Zealand government through it's Customs has banned the import of virtually all paints with only a very small amount being issued import licenses.

They even ban children's water colours.

However, the most amusing bans I have kept till last,"Antarctic toothfish and Patagonian toothfish"  and "Certain dog-tracking devices"

NZ Customs must have there work cut out to stop the enormous number of these being imported.

BTW Arthur have to disagree about the tinlets of Humbrol, mighty dangerous when thrown by the wife when you've spilled it on her best tablecloth.

Cheers Godders

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

I have just read many pages of uk government ,airline and TNT shipping advice. Nowhere can I find any restriction on the shipping of paint. Provided that it is carried in the hold, not hand luggage, and is declared and carries the required warning signs I can find no restriction.

Alternatively TNT will ship with the same safety restrictions i.e. that it carries any necessary safety notice.

I am not a legal expert but please feel free to contradict with sources of information.

Cheers Godders

www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview

http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/home/support/paperwork_and_packaging/dangerous_goods.html

Not just Heathrow

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2200&pageid=14487

and

http://www.tnt.com/express/en_gb/site/terms_and_conditions.html

5.1 applies

Sorry it is a real pain in the proverbial for those of us non-UK based modellers who want UK-based colours.

Hi to New Zealand,

I really do feel sorry for you guys over there (and in Australia too no doubt) who face these difficulties due to over the top regulations.

I know my suggestion below is not a perfect answer but it might help you get round this.

What if you had someone in the UK prepare a colour sample panel for any railway colours you needed, send the panel to you and then you get the colour matched by a paint mixer locally to you.

I'm pretty sure that sending a painted plastic panel would not break any laws or regulations.

once mixed at your end the problem would be gone as you'd have that colour or colours repeatable again.

It might be desirable to contact other modellers at your end to perhaps share costs as you'd probably have to buy in a minimum of one litre.

If this idea is of any help to you i'd be happy to help by preparing the colour panels here in England (I've done many in the past in a professional capacity) and sending them to you - we could perhaps start with the most wanted colours and then work through others as time permits.

Let me know what you think guys and we can look into the idea more.

Hoping my suggestion is of interest and help to you all.

Regards,

Rob

Hi to New Zealand,

I really do feel sorry for you guys over there (and in Australia too no doubt) who face these difficulties due to over the top regulations.

I know my suggestion below is not a perfect answer but it might help you get round this.

What if you had someone in the UK prepare a colour sample panel for any railway colours you needed, send the panel to you and then you get the colour matched by a paint mixer locally to you.

I'm pretty sure that sending a painted plastic panel would not break any laws or regulations.

once mixed at your end the problem would be gone as you'd have that colour or colours repeatable again.

It might be desirable to contact other modellers at your end to perhaps share costs as you'd probably have to buy in a minimum of one litre.

If this idea is of any help to you i'd be happy to help by preparing the colour panels here in England (I've done many in the past in a professional capacity) and sending them to you - we could perhaps start with the most wanted colours and then work through others as time permits.

Let me know what you think guys and we can look into the idea more.

Hoping my suggestion is of interest and help to you all.

Regards,

Rob

Oooh, yes please!

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, it really does seem as if getting the genuine modelling brands here is unlikely.  Even if we were to find a freight forwarder to ship out of the UK, NZ Customs is very efficient in policing its borders.  Not a complaint by any means, it's one of the things that makes this such a great country to live in.

Rob, I will PM you in the next day or two as it's early in the morning here and I've had it!

The market here is fairly limited but hopefully there would be enough British modellers about to make further investigation worthwhile.

All the best,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Given that Phoenix Precision cannot export, have you tried asking them if they would be prepared to provide railway colour definitions / specifications so that you could have paint made up locally?

Given the information, you should be able to have car paint mixed and provided either as tins for brushing or as aerosols - plenty of car factors provide this service in the UK.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what period etc you are modelling but there are reference sources that match colours to internationally recognised standard colour charts. For instance the HMRS livery guides (I have SR/LSWR and GWR) give equivalents on the Munsell charts. I think there' a web site that matches Humbrol colours to Munsell but my memory may be at fault.  It may be possible to get a NZ manufacturer to match to these.

Pete

Given that Phoenix Precision cannot export, have you tried asking them if they would be prepared to provide railway colour definitions / specifications so that you could have paint made up locally?

Given the information, you should be able to have car paint mixed and provided either as tins for brushing or as aerosols - plenty of car factors provide this service in the UK.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thats ok but you are spoilt in the UK for things like this. Car paint factors here in Brazil do not exist. The likes of Halfords etc are unheard of. To by car paint you go to the paint shop, and by a tin to to the number of your car, never get a colour mix. All cars here come in about 6 colours.

I tend to tuck things like this in my case and if anything is said at this end I just plead ignorance. Never had any trouble as yet. Here though they are more concerned about wood and its products, money and foods. And of coarse can they make you pay for bringing it here. A model railway kit confuses them. They are not sure what to do. As there is nothing like them here.

Rob,

Living in Canada , I also face the same problem of obtaining Phoenix or Railmatch paints. I would be interested in a colour sample panel of LSWR and Southern Railway colours. Feel free to PM me.

Cheers .

Chris

Rob,

Living in Canada , I also face the same problem of obtaining Phoenix or Railmatch paints. I would be interested in a colour sample panel of LSWR and Southern Railway colours. Feel free to PM me.

Cheers .

Chris

Hi Chris,

This matter has been talked about more with NZ and is going to happen so I'm sure helping you out in Canada can be fitted in too as part of the project. Could you pm me and we can discuss more.

Regards

Hi Chris,

This matter has been talked about more with NZ and is going to happen so I'm sure helping you out in Canada can be fitted in too as part of the project. Could you pm me and we can discuss more.

Regards

Hi again Chris,

Just to clarify a possible confusion.

Both myself in England and the modeller in NZ to who I've been talking are named Rob!.

Its me in England asking for the pm.

Regards.

Archived