Cork Tiles

jazzer

I am in the middle of (slowly ) building a layout  using cork tiles , which  I have had for some time, as the track bed but I need some more and now find the usual outlets don't seem to stock them because of "elf n sayfty". This creates a problem because the usual cork rolls available in model shops are not quite the same thickness and I don't really want to use them  anyway unless I really have to.

Does anyone know if or where cork tiles can be obtained of if not any ideas apart from ripping it up and starting again ? Any other advice on suitable material for trackbeds ? The baseboards are 9mm ply.

thanks in advance..

It's the sealed tiles I've used in the past, sealed side down. I've slightly roughened the sealed side with 40 grit and I find undiluted PVA grabs them pretty well, as long as plenty of weight is used as the glue cures. What didn't work for me was naively thinking wallpaper adhesive would hold them! It could be down to the brand of PVA and the thickness...? I've just binned a couple of litres of pound shop PVA which had all the adhesive properties of semi-skimmed milk...

Edit: for "binned" I meant "recycled responsibly" of course...

Thanks for the information guys. Strangely enough it was my local Wickes (along with B&Q) that told me they had been phased out on H&S grounds. I'll try to get them online

Thanks again.

And I was thinking they were no longer around as they were now maybe out of fashion.

Apparently they're very popular for bathrooms (sealed side up, of course). I guess it beats that fluffy pink U-shaped rug around the toilet that everyone pees on...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived