I like that 0-6-0 for a shunter.  The 0-4-0 looks like a Dock Tank to me - especially for those tight bends. 

I have an 0-8-0 ETS chassis here waiting to go under an older No2 tender loco, must get on and do something about that !

Andi

14 minutes ago, andi4x4 said:

I have an 0-8-0 ETS chassis here waiting to go under an older No2 tender loco, must get on and do something about that !

The ETS 272 0-8-0 Drive Unit with 25.5mm wheels and a 90mm wheelbase would probably fit The No. 1 Special Tank. It might even be possible to retain the outside cylinders. Interesting...

5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Better. Will the chassis fit the other way round, so that the larger gap between axles accommodates the notional firebox?

Not with this combination of chassis, connecting link and piston. With a longer connecting link it would be possible to connect to the rear wheel, but I would have to manufacture one. I was wondering if a Dock Shunter chassis might be a possibility, the wheelbase is only 10mm greater than the 0-6-0. Unfortunately ETS do not supply dimensions of their drive units, so the distance between the mounting points is a matter of guesswork.

• RMweb Premium

Those No.1 Special tanksdo look more interesting as smaller wheeled shunters - or as the extended 2-4-2T seen hereabouts in recent days (see Nearholmer's "Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale" topic). However, my one pet-hate with a lot of the ETS re-motored Hornby locos is the very "See-through" nature of their under-pinnings. So far my only Hornby conversion is a No.40 BR Black 0-4-0T - for which I made a set of "Petticoat" like frames to encase the ETS mech and cut out the day-light. I think it looks much better?

P1060784.jpg.b271ca5801e738f71153ffe90786a519.jpg

P1060785.jpg.f4c2f614b01bb3e0a44f5193802c5647.jpg

The frame also secures the lead weight above the mechanism and provides a mounting for the silde switch that allows the loco to isolated without resorting to lolly sticks. There are no modifications to the Hornby body. I just wish I had painted the extra piece of wire to stop it glaring at me in photos!

My next Hornby conversion will be a No.1 Special 0-4-0 tender loco - which has lost its rods, has at least one loose wheel and a bust spring. It doesn't owe me anything as it was given to me by the widow of the previous owner, but I feel duty bound to do it up. It will get a similar petticoat frame arrangement and will use larger wheels to match the wheel splashers that are prominent on the (tender) loco body. Again there will be no material change to the body - beyond a bit of gentle straightening - and a complete repaint, as it has previously received a "tar-brush" effort a long time ago.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

These are the parts collected so far for the 0-8-0 tender loco project. Surprisingly, all three items came to me in the same 'job lot' I bought on ebay a couple of years ago. The chassis doesn't quite fit into the body as yet, I need to either trim the inside of the body slightly, or, remove one of the motors from the chassis. I have a selection of tender undercarriage parts to cobble together with the tender body shown, or, I have a spare Hornby ex Royal Scot tender in poor condition that could be repurposed.

20201207_002928.jpg.5b3b22d4046b2b84992d97fa913c4c5f.jpg

Andi

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Andi,

A warning. Be very careful if you try to remove one of the motors from the ETS mechanism -

A - You have to take it all apart and are likely to have bits everywhere?

B - Be very careful not to damage the clutch units.

C - While the motors are fairly strong you, will probably regret the lack of resulting "grunt" (Tractive Effort).

Don't ask how I know this!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

Looking again at the Hornby No. 1 Special Tank's cab, it would be easier to fit a piece of glazing in the opening with a vertical bar painted on it, than trying to fit an upright. A quick attempt with some packaging and a marker pen...

IMG_0266.JPG.d4d3859b79c7cbc46130be7f676154b6.JPG

The conspicuous object under the cab might be of interest. It is Meccano part no. 63C, which has a hole to accept a Meccano axle in one end, and a 5/32 BSW tapped hole in the other. Very useful when temporarily fitting a motor, as there is no fiddling with awkward nuts in tight spaces.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Andi,

A warning. Be very careful if you try to remove one of the motors from the ETS mechanism -

C - While the motors are fairly strong you, will probably regret the lack of resulting "grunt" (Tractive Effort).

Regards

Chris H

From personal experience I concur whole heartedly. I would only add that if you do take an ETS Drive unit apart, try to keep the bearings in the frame. If they come out, getting them and the contacts back in place is, shall we say interesting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

Andi,

Regards

Chris H

All noted, Thanks Chris, and Goldfish !

I only need to create an extra 1/4 - 1/2 inch in the front of the boiler, or back towards the cab area, so, it may be a job for the Dremmel !

Andi

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found a very early (1950?) tinplate Elettren Pullman car without oval windows. Later tinplate Elettren Pullman cars of the sixties had the oval windows:

Afbeelding11111.jpg.5c8a1c036f3bb2e7ac09f8b3bfdf1ea1.jpg

This afternoon the Elettren pacific pulled this car in a train through the garden:

Regards

Fred

• Like 7

French Hornby is not liked that much outside France (and in France toy-train aficionados seem to prefer JEP). I found a Hornby Etoile du Nord set and here is a presentation:

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 2

Well, I'm not in France, and I like it, and I also like the music.

I've tried to steer clear of acquiring much French Hornby, though, because I know things could rapidly (LR?) get out of hand .......... mind you, if I rationed myself to post-WW2 things, maybe no harm would come of it. Both JEP and Hornby made very nice things in 1950s.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody fancy a bargain basement Hornby 2710... Actually a Hornby No. 0 Locomotive fitted with an ETS drive unit. The body is showing signs of its age, as you expect for a toy train of this age. The original clockwork motor technically works, but one gear wheel is loose on its shaft, and the connecting rod and piston assy are missing from one side. I am rather pleased with this conversion, and find the lines of these older locomotives more convincing than some of Hornby's later offerings.

The body was not modified in any way to do the conversion, which is completely reversible. The tender is not original to the body, and came minus a coupling and needed bending back into shape.

IMG_0298.JPG.da70744d84d834f4412ae5e1002e87a2.JPG

Edited by goldfish
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I know nothing about the GNR/LNER, bu that does look very good - is it Paul’s ‘review sample’?

It is a prototype, Paul has yet to make an announcement, But Colin Toten has posted details on raylo.co.uk.

• Informative/Useful 1

I would have thought there would be more interest in a LBSCR Atlantic than a GNR Atlantic, but I have nothing to base that on. Isn't there a project to built a new H1, or did that idea fold? That would be a useful tie-in.