• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

It’s Mr Holmes’ train: Hag loco, Elettren and original Darstaed coaches.

Hello Kevin,

Your abscence this p.m. was noted. You missed a very good get-together.

It was one of my trains, with the HAG Re4/4 loco - similar to Fred's brother's, but the earlier version with the cab end gangway doors. The first coach was an original Swiss Darstaed SBB AB (Composite) , the other four were Elettren CIWL types - a Pullman, a Wagon-Restaurant, a Wagon-Lit and a Baggage wagon. As my HAG loco is a single motor version this train is just about the comfortable limit before wheel-spin becomes a problem.

I can thoroughly recommend Fred's e-book regarding "Elettren Trains", but beware it could lead one into great temptation.

The NAR0GG meeting this p.m. was very enjoyable with an eclectic mix of models on show and running, including Mr Knights' Walker-Reimsdyk 0-6-0T trundling round with a single open wagon at a true walking pace - very impressive.

I must also give a mention of thanks to those who provided the teas, sandwiches and cakes that sustained us through the session. They really are the heroes and heroines behind these meetings.

In addition to the Swiss / CIWL train I also ran GNR "Atlantic" 251 with the Darstaed LNER teak train and the Keith Murray LNER (ex GN) C12 4-4-2T with three ACE LNER teak 6-wheelers. these were on the side-show track that I provided.

We look forward to the full meeting report from Richard Holder and Paul Lumsdon - with the proposals for the next year's set of meeting dates.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2022 at 17:27, sncf231e said:

ACE and Basset Lowke

Regards

Fred

Fred,

That is a very good short video, that reminds me of my childhood growing up in Bracknell from age 5.

I don't remember seeing a Castle class on a short coal train, but the local freight trains that delivered to Bracknell yard were often hauled by "N" class 2-6-0s, as were the Reading Southern to Redhill local passenger trains. Most of the Castle hauled trains that I remember were main line expresses through Twyford or Reading - including the "South Wales Pullman" - so a Castle on a Pullman set is very realistic, although the duty later got taken over by Britannias (from Cardiff Canton Shed).

Many thanks for the nostalgia.

Regards

Chris H

P.S. - My first OO gauge model train was a Hornby-Dublo 3- rail "Bristol Castle" set for Christmas 1957(?) - I still think I was a lucky boy.

CH

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

P.S. - My first OO gauge model train was a Hornby-Dublo 3- rail "Bristol Castle" set for Christmas 1957(?) - I still think I was a lucky boy.

CH

Chris,

Indeed a lucky boy! I received as a first "model" train a simple H0/00 Märklin clockwork train (1955?).Speelgoed.jpg.a5c86bd641225b72db7c908d551dadb2.jpg

And the rest is history 😉

Regards

Fred

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

My OO "Bristol Castle" is also long gone. So far the biggest "0" gauge GWR loco in my fleet is the 4-6-0 "Kinlet Hall" followed by the ACE 43xx 2-6-0 and three different 4-4-0s - City, Bulldog & County Classes. Much as I like (read as "Lust after") the Castles, they really are just too big for my present railway, while the Hall etc fit well. 

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One often asked question is "What is the smallest radius 0 Gauge curve?" With my tongue very firmly in my cheek, I would suggest that it is 170mm.

IMG_0390.JPG.9935ce1fd7d647b15b2fbfe669681c93.JPG

ETS for Along Classic Lines Pug and Hornby tinplate on ETS tram tracks. It only works going forward, but otherwise seems quite reliable.

IMG_0392.JPG.bf906f8c17ea9e36485c7ecfdb50867b.JPG

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

On 13/01/2023 at 20:18, rockershovel said:

That is some curve!

It is a severe curve, even for the 4-wheel trams it is intended for.

ETS offer the somewhat contradictory advice:

After a few hours of operation, it is advisable to clean tram tracks and wheels with a cleaning rag soaked in alcohol.
There is no need to lubricate the tramway, but for smooth driving it is sometimes advisable to lubricate tracks in curves

A soft pencil run around the inside of the rails on the curves certainly improves the running.

• 2 months later...

I received a new (old) Elettren tinplate car and looked to see if it could run with a JEP NORD Pacific. I think it's a good combination. The video also shows part of the amazing interior of Elettren cars.

Regards

Fred

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

• 3 weeks later...

The French company ACO (Atelier de Chateau d'Eau) made kits for French locomotives which might be called Coarse Scale. The could be made  for 2-rail or 3-rail. Some time ago I bought a partly finished unpainted kit of an SNCF 130B locomotive and although some parts were missing (and others extra) I could finish it. Here it is running through the garden:

Regards

Fred

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/06/2023 at 11:24, rockershovel said:

NAROGG running day next Tues (13th). Attendances are still low but some really interesting stock last time including a radio controlled 2-6-4T, a quite beautiful Basset Lowke Flying Scotsman and a SR 4-6-0. 

CANCELLED, I'm sorry to say.

We have decided to reschedule in Sept, when the hot weather and holiday period is past 

• 2 months later...

That is an unusual looking set, to me at least being accustomed to British trains!

Could do with being longer, especially on that line.

Hattons had 2 for sale at £319, may have been tempted but would have to be a lot cheaper!!!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1400145/lionel_6_51000_po03_the_hiawatha_passenger_set_3_rail_ac_pre_owned_worn_paintwork_fair_box/stockdetail

Bought enough lionel recently anyway 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Hornby 0-4-0 tender locomotives are usually considered to be toy like and totally unrealistic. What is easy to forget is that when Hornby were designing their first locomotives the last 'proper' standard gauge 0-4-0 tender locomotives were still operational, in the form of the NBR/LNER Rebuilt Wheatley Y10. Although the Hornby designers were most likely unaware of the Y10. their early 0-4-0s are very close to the size and general proportions of the Y10.

IMG_0425.JPG.4369b29e81ff50d488c0397bfcefb2c1.JPG

The thing that really lets the Hornby offering down is the undersize tender. Ironically if Hornby had simply reused their wagon chassis and bolted a tender body to it the result would have close to the size and proportions of the NBR tender. As shown with this crude card mock-up.

IMG_0426.JPG.08b957dd72f15321d9b099aadc4dc4f9.JPG

In fact any of the Hornby 0-4-0 tender locomotives can be easily improved by pairing them with a No.1 Special Tender.

IMG_0424.JPG.a3fe6b3a6c28bace19cfec27a381c2a0.JPG

Drawings of the N.B.R. / L.N.E.R. Rebuilt Wheatley Y10 are to be found in :

The Model Railway News, Vol. 21, No. 245, May 1945, Page 101.

The Model Railway News, Vol. 28, No. 329, May 1952, Page 106.

Railway Modeller, Vol. 17, No. 192, October 1966, Page 310.

Edited by goldfish
Added deatai;ls of drawing.
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

Something I omitted to point out in my previous post, was that although post war 0-4-0s look better with a No.1 Special tender, they can have problems with the control rods fouling against the tender.

IMG_0428.JPG.9645c79905d63e92d3ad4ae6a19e4ed9.JPG

Or at least the examples I have foul the tender. My pre war examples have control rods that sit more horizontally than the post war control rods, which rather droop. A little judicious bending would probably provide enough clearance to keep the rods clear.

What would definitely benefit from a replacement tender is the  Hornby parody Centenary Special. I had one for a few months with the idea of giving it a make over. The locomotive itself had potential, but the only way I could see to improve the tender was to simply replace it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goldfish said:

Something I omitted to point out in my previous post, was that although post war 0-4-0s look better with a No.1 Special tender, they can have problems with the control rods fouling against the tender.

IMG_0428.JPG.9645c79905d63e92d3ad4ae6a19e4ed9.JPG

Or at least the examples I have foul the tender. My pre war examples have control rods that sit more horizontally than the post war control rods, which rather droop. A little judicious bending would probably provide enough clearance to keep the rods clear.

What would definitely benefit from a replacement tender is the  Hornby parody Centenary Special. I had one for a few months with the idea of giving it a make over. The locomotive itself had potential, but the only way I could see to improve the tender was to simply replace it.

I like the tender upgrades you've shown, they really do make a positive visual impression. 

I was tempted by the Hornby anniversary loco, but even now it's still far too expensive for me, especially when you can get cared-for vintage stuff for less money.

3 hours ago, Ben B said:

I was tempted by the Hornby anniversary loco, but even now it's still far too expensive for me, especially when you can get cared-for vintage stuff for less money.

In my opinion the actual vintage versions are both better value for money and much better looking. Modern Hornby just copied the original version when they made their edition. The original version was not a great success and was replaced a year or so later incorporating a better mechanism with a longer wheelbase. The bodies are essentially the same but the longer wheelbase makes quite a difference.  Hornby would have done much better using the revised version as a pattern, it would also have allowed them to use a standard ETS drive unit rather having them produce a custom one.