o gauge track plan help?

Earl Bathurst

Good evening.

Looking for some small o gauge track plans. A shunting plank with an additional line for a station to run 1 of the Heljan railbuses when released? Marc smith has some interesting plans but dont want to copy but something similar in size to his layout because he has achieved alot in a small space. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Scott

Guest Jim Read

Hello Scott,

Here's my (old) ten pence worth, if you are into or think you will be into operating the layout then do include something that will allow you to either run round or get at both ends of some stock and something else that will enable you to shunt in two directions.

Cheers - Jim

Likely an 'inglenook' type layout would suit, as you won't need a run around loop.

(Using 2 turnouts or 1 turnout & a sector plate. Warning: pointwork in 0 gauge takes up a lot of space.)

Do check out Jim's layouts to get an idea of good 0 gauge 'micro' layouts.

Hello Scott,

Here's my (old) ten pence worth, if you are into or think you will be into operating the layout then do include something that will allow you to either run round or get at both ends of some stock and something else that will enable you to shunt in two directions.

Cheers - Jim

Precisely my philosophy Jim. A run-round is a must for me and both-way shunting movements ensure interest will be maintained. My Cwm Bach layout includes both and by having an exchange with a colliery line, extra locos and movements are introduced.

Scott,

We need an indication of the area you have available to offer fiurther advice. Here is a link to my layout that is under construction: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/

Regards,

Chris

Guest Jim Read

Hello Scott

I often look at this point layout in the book on the Selsey Tramway, it was in the yard at their Chichester station. It might make an unusual start to a design.

2e1hsok.jpg

The drawing is for a 34" radius point and will easily take a loco up to a Terrier or MW/HC 0-6-0 It only takes up 14.1/2" and would result in some interesting movements. You and anyone else would be very welcome to the drawing to make the points directly on to it.

Cheers - Jim

Hi im looking to keep to about 6ftx 2ft. Thank you for the help so far.

scott

Length is quite tight. Ian Futers has produced a series of interesting layouts with Scottish or North-Eastern urban themes that employ three, usually Peco points, but I think his default length for the scenic section is 8'. Using y points carefully can save length. Will you be building the points or using ready-made items?

Guest Jim Read

Hello NT,

I think I can see what you are saying and I hope this is right ......to get the frog polarities correct one point would have to be set for the straight and the other for the curve and vice versa.

Cheers - Jim

Hello Scott

I often look at this point layout in the book on the Selsey Tramway, it was in the yard at their Chichester station. It might make an unusual start to a design.

2e1hsok.jpg

The drawing is for a 34" radius point and will easily take a loco up to a Terrier or MW/HC 0-6-0 It only takes up 14.1/2" and would result in some interesting movements. You and anyone else would be very welcome to the drawing to make the points directly on to it.

Cheers - Jim

I've seen this arrangement made from 2x N gauge turnouts on here somewhere, it is nice to know it actually existed in real life.

Peco points are very large- I have around 9ft to play with (possibly with an additional 3ft for a fiddle yard when not at home) by 2' 6" and have found that, with enough trackwork in to maintain operational interest for a shuntaholic like me, I'd basically end up with a board full of points... I've tried a few permutations that looked good on AnyRail but much less so when I tried "3D planning" (laying out the track on the carpet in the spare room if one prefers!), so for now I'm either going to wait until I'm feeling brave enough to scratchbuild track, rich enough to buy custom made, or until Peco bring out predicted "set track" tighter raduis points.  

I've seen this arrangement made from 2x N gauge turnouts on here somewhere, it is nice to know it actually existed in real life.

This style of turnout was origionally called a " Barry slip " and I think there still is an operational one up at the Watercress line in the yard at Ropely.

ATB,

Martyn.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Scott and hello all

Making points is easy ... honestly ... for the cost of one ready made effort (that doesn't look very good anyway, especially on a small board) you can make the whole of the track on a small layout. And have the immense satisfaction of making something instead of buying it. If you make a mistake then you can rectify it yourself ... easily.

Cheers - Jim

Ref the valid point about including a run around loop, this becomes difficult when small and nigh near impossible in mico plank layouts.

A possible solution is to have 1/2 the loop in the fiddle yard or as others and I intend to do have another loco that can pull the uncoupled train away so either the incoming can shunt back or the pull away can shunt forward.

It all makes for a bit more movement on the view board.

Regards

Hello again Scott,

As one of the above posters have said, Peco O gauge points are very large
On Poynton Sneer, I used some secondhand points - one Marcway and one kitbuilt

As a space saver, in this scale, I'd say using shorter radius pointwork will help you save a lot of space
I might well have a spare point I bought 2nd hand anyway (not got around to using it yet) - PM me if you're interested

Also, you might want to consider a sector-plate fiddle yard?
Depending on design, this can help save a lot of pointwork, and ultimately, space
There was an O gauge show at Swindon last year, which had no points 
 - a Bit like Brian T's Abercynnon Fach 4mm layout

Good luck

Marc

PS. A lot of the fun in min-space modelling is to be had in the design stage IMHO

Guest Jim Read

PS. A lot of the fun in min-space modelling is to be had in the design stage IMHO

I agree Marc it's very important indeed doing lots of drawings even on the back of envelopes and then working out train and loco movements in your head can save you from the boredom of endlessly repeated sequences. When I get to the stage where I can't see a simple end to sequences and have to trust to luck rather than judgement I know I'm onto something that will work without repeating itself.

Cheers - Jim

• 3 months later...

Archived