Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

Good to hear, although with all the talk of reboxing will they get out before the holiday season?

Bachmann hompage has an item about them, including image of the certificate, which says 3000 are being produced.

First I've heard of this; its been 1000 for the last 2 years, hasn't it?

If there was any advertising that the edition was limited to 1,000 then it would be unethical to simply increase the number of the 'edition'. But we surely cannot expect that the model won't be in production in various guises more or less as long as there is demand.

Anyone know what is going on with the model of Blue Peter now? It was alleged to be at Barwell 2 weekends ago for re-boxing into the wooden boxes and dispatched to the retailers around the 1st. Dec.

It has now disappeared off the front page of Bachmann's website where it was shown as 'ready for delivery within the next few days' and only shows on the due next 60 days list.

My retailer has contacted Barwell only to be met with a very tight lipped response to say ' We can't really say what is happening with this model, we are expecting them in shortly, you might see them in time for Christmas'. When he asked why he had been told they were at Bachmann at the end of November he was told again' we have been told not to make specific comments about this release'!

Anyone know what is going on with the model of Blue Peter now? It was alleged to be at Barwell 2 weekends ago for re-boxing into the wooden boxes and dispatched to the retailers around the 1st. Dec.

It has now disappeared off the front page of Bachmann's website where it was shown as 'ready for delivery within the next few days' and only shows on the due next 60 days list.

My retailer has contacted Barwell only to be met with a very tight lipped response to say ' We can't really say what is happening with this model, we are expecting them in shortly, you might see them in time for Christmas'. When he asked why he had been told they were at Bachmann at the end of November he was told again' we have been told not to make specific comments about this release'!

I'm not sure there has been any start/stop release like before.

I was going to write a long rant and speculation about this, but as worded it was too strong!

Suffice to say in the TWO AND A HALF YEARS since this model was announced, we've seen complete new models announced and released (O4, 3MT, 7F), and the anticipated release date of BP delayed countelss times, with two or three appearences on the 60 day list. Even the 4-CEP didn't have this many false starts (it was just slow!).

I'd rather have a normal box and get the loco now! (see post earlier!)

I've had direct contact from Bachmann with an assurance that the model has not reached Barwell as yet - this information is correct as of 5 minutes ago.

• Like 1

Interesting! if it had not reached Barwell before why did they put it on their website and why were their reps. telling the dealers that it was in?

A big thank you to Andy for obtaining the current truth, I sometimes feel that the way Bachmann go about things works against their own best interests.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting! if it had not reached Barwell before why did they put it on their website and why were their reps. telling the dealers that it was in?

Hope you guys don't mind this 'stab in the dark' explanation, maybe it was the wooden presentation boxes which have already arrived at barwell thus causing confusion if the loco's themselves haven't yet arrived but to those not involved in the packing/distribution etc they may well think the locos are in them boxes!

Edit: another possibility, it may be the collectors club special which has arrived at barwell, Blue Peter in current preserved condition, again a logical source of confusion?

Cheers, Richard

I would be surprised in this day of bar codes and microchips that the electronic stock control gets confused between one version of a model and another. A eyeballing of wooden boxes seems a reasonable explanation of the error, BUT why would this have been published on their dealer website, which I presume is linked to their electronic stock control?

Am I the only one a bit miffed at Bachmann's ability to magic up BP in Apple Green for its subscribers in with no time between announcement and delivery, and yet unable to deliver a 2.5 year promise for everyone else.... (sorry, stuck record). If they had spare capacity they SHOULD have focused on getting their prior commitments sorted.... Not happy

Further to this whinge BP in Apple Green is a very strange choice, it has never run in this condition (in early BR days it didn't have the Double Chimney and Multi-Valve regulator). My guess is that when restored it will probably revert to BR Green... Effectively Bachmann are issuing a model of a preserved static loco only ever seen in one location (Barrow Hill). At least a Grey Tornado was in steam, on the GCR and on the Main Line!

IFurther to this whinge BP in Apple Green is a very strange choice, it has never run in this condition (in early BR days it didn't have the Double Chimney and Multi-Valve regulator).

Not strictly true!!!! BP did run in apple green with d/c etc.on the main line, certainly in the early 1970's. It was at Tyseley Open Day in October 1974, with an all-blue Thompson coach, and was amongst the last steam locos I saw as I left for Australia in November 1974.

Cheers, Peter C.

Not strictly true!!!! BP did run in apple green with d/c etc.on the main line, certainly in the early 1970's. It was at Tyseley Open Day in October 1974, with an all-blue Thompson coach, and was amongst the last steam locos I saw as I left for Australia in November 1974.

Cheers, Peter C.

Yes, agreed, but as "532" with "LNER" on tender, not "60532" with "British Railways" on tender.

Can someone clarify as to whether BP was running (as opposed to being towed) on the mainline during the 1970s.

Toodles

Alpha Foxtrot!

Yes, agreed, but as "532" with "LNER" on tender, not "60532" with "British Railways" on tender.

Can someone clarify as to whether BP was running (as opposed to being towed) on the mainline during the 1970s.

Toodles

Alpha Foxtrot!

Can I just ask - what colour is it in, right this moment in time?

I believe that's apple green, British Railways, 60532, to match Tornado's current livery. It gives them one more model - they are running a business, are they not?

Livery variations sell to collectors, put simply.

I find the whole subject of Blue Peter both annoying & frustrating. Bachmann really aren't doing themselves any favours here with I suspect not only us the buyers but also the dealers up in arms. Most people hate been mucked about & constant phone calls between customer, dealers & Bachmann is just waisting time & money. They should have kept it on the back burner until it was ready instead of all this confusion. I wouldn't pay the marketing & public relations department at Bachmann with brass washers after this carry on. Who on earth decided to release BP as a limited Edition ? when it's obvious there is such a huge interest in it. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!! personally I'd want to be selling as many as possible & increase my profits not restrict it to 1000. We have the same with the BR Green Bachelors Button no more in the country but still plenty of the apple green models. I think a lot of this is down to the age of the people buying these models now. I would doubt there aren't many of us around who can remember the Apple Green days on the LNER, yes keep producing the early models but give priority to where you can maximise your sales then the end of ther day as a customer I'm happy, my retailer is happy & of course Bachmann are happy.

Please Bachmann get your fingers out!!!

silverlink

Can I just ask - what colour is it in, right this moment in time?

I believe that's apple green, British Railways, 60532, to match Tornado's current livery. It gives them one more model - they are running a business, are they not?

Livery variations sell to collectors, put simply.

Quite agree, but my point that it has never steamed in this condition/livery combo still holds. It is on static display atm and who knows what condition it WILL (I hope) eventually reappear in!

I find the whole subject of Blue Peter both annoying & frustrating. Bachmann really aren't doing themselves any favours here with I suspect not only us the buyers but also the dealers up in arms. Most people hate been mucked about & constant phone calls between customer, dealers & Bachmann is just waisting time & money. They should have kept it on the back burner until it was ready instead of all this confusion. I wouldn't pay the marketing & public relations department at Bachmann with brass washers after this carry on. Who on earth decided to release BP as a limited Edition ? when it's obvious there is such a huge interest in it. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!! personally I'd want to be selling as many as possible & increase my profits not restrict it to 1000. We have the same with the BR Green Bachelors Button no more in the country but still plenty of the apple green models. I think a lot of this is down to the age of the people buying these models now. I would doubt there aren't many of us around who can remember the Apple Green days on the LNER, yes keep producing the early models but give priority to where you can maximise your sales then the end of ther day as a customer I'm happy, my retailer is happy & of course Bachmann are happy.

Please Bachmann get your fingers out!!!

silverlink

Nice to see like-minded comments. But on reflection, IF this delay is due to further mfg problems, better late than it is finally released still having various faults. (i.e. at this late stage Bachmann, take your time and just make sure its all correct and fault free please as number one priority)

The one thing worse than a late model is a faulty one, I think we can all agree on that.

I just feel that this whole issue is a Public relations disaster for Bachmann. They are generally excellent at model making but poor at marketing & PR.

The real issue here is the lack of transparency between Bachmann, its dealer network and the Public.

If only they made a simple, accurate and honest statement as to where they are with this model it would do a lot to restore the markets faith!

Guest Max Stafford

I think disaster is a bit of a strong word for the situation. Whereas something has gone awry in this instance, I think it's only fair to say that Bachmann have generally been on top of their game this year and last in terms of output. This is evidenced by some very short lead-in times in the case of the 3MT and 7F and a prodigious output of Farish N. They were quite open about the fact that the single-chimney A2s were subject to delay earlier this year so please, although the situation with Blue Peter is a disappointment to many who keenly await the model, let's keep a sense of proportion about it.

A delayed model never killed anybody...! ;)

Dave.

I think where I'm coming from here is of course Bachmann should let modellers know what new models they are planning & perhaps a rough idea of delivery (in this case which year might help!)then keep it buttoned until satisfied it all works. Perhaps they could do a lot worse than to follow the car industry. They spend thousands of hours road testing new models until they are happy they work then we get the pictures & availability & it's very rare there is a major problem. No I don't want an inferior model nor one that keeps breaking down which is all the more reason to keep it under wraps until happy it all works. Finally lets not forget we are living in a world thats moving at one heck of a pace & at the push of a button Bachmann can contact all their Dealerships via the tinternet in a split second with the news we've all been waiting for BLUE PETER'S ON ITS WAY. Hurrah!!!

cheers

silverlink

Funny you should say that Silverlink, it appers Bachmann have just pressed that very button!

It may be they have the old news that Andy Y superseded yesterday, and I am not holding by breath but..... the Antics website now says:

Bachmann OO BR 60532 Blue Peter Class A2 4-6-2 Pacific Type Brunswick Green Late Crest (20-2009)

This special edition model of 60532 Blue Peter is now (14 December) in the UK. The models are being packed into the presentation cases in the UK, so we expect to receive delivery shortly. However the shipment may arrive by too late for pre-Christmas delivery of orders.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause

Expected Delivery, 17 December

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/748_1_105606484.html

Let's not county our chickens....One retailer assured me that Blue Peter would be available the weekend before Xmas.......last year. Whilst I appreciate Dave's comments, the delivery of this model has been a tad frustrating! I will now not believe it is here until it is in my hot sticky mits......

I think disaster is a bit of a strong word for the situation. Whereas something has gone awry in this instance, I think it's only fair to say that Bachmann have generally been on top of their game this year and last in terms of output. This is evidenced by some very short lead-in times in the case of the 3MT and 7F and a prodigious output of Farish N. They were quite open about the fact that the single-chimney A2s were subject to delay earlier this year so please, although the situation with Blue Peter is a disappointment to many who keenly await the model, let's keep a sense of proportion about it.

A delayed model never killed anybody...! ;)

Dave.

I think you have rather mis-understood my comments. A model being delayed is not a disaster, especially when you take into account what is going on in the World!. What is a could be regarded as a disaster, as I stated in my post, is the Public relations effect this has caused. as another poster commented Bachmann did promise their dealer network that this model would be in before Christmas 2009, and with all the delays we are not now certain that it will be in this Christmas. Bachmann ( as with any business except banks )need the good will of both the buying public and their dealer network to succeed.

What Bachmann need to do is to make an unequivocal statement as to what has happened and when the model will be released rather than all the rumour and counter rumour which have, in the main, been caused by themselves or their representatives.

It may be frustrating for intending purchasers but a more important point, often overlooked, is the effect on our model shops by the delays by both main manufacturers this past year. Their sales will be down against predictions and, more importantly their cash flow may have been seriously affected. Delayed cash flow can kill businesses!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I personally don't ever remember Bachmann promising this model for Christmas 2009, and having just looked through the winter 2009 collectors club mag they have in it the pictures of the first test shot from the tooling, and as anyone will know it usually takes Bachmann 6+ months from that stage to actually release the model so it should have been obvious back then that is was never going to be a Christmas 2009 release!

Cheers, Richard

Well, for S & D people the weathered Fowler 7F is in Liverpule...

Are UK airports working ordinarIly yet?

Rob (NZ) (and no, I don't expect a late BR A2 before Xmas down here! )

Most Airports are open - but more snow is forcast this weekend. Excuse the digression