Bachmann Peppercorn A2

Guest TomTank

So then why initially advertise them at the lower price? Why not advertise them at the current price?

I think anyone who knows anything about real/model railways could have told Hattons and Rails that BP would be their biggest seller, especially given the limited range of A2 models initially proposed by Bachmann.

Supply and demand? No. Opportunist profiteering is what I'd call it.

Another first class job Ian. Just one small point, the 30 bit of the front number plate seems a little skinny compared to the 605 part. What do you think? Ok I know it's a little pedantic. Did you see that Haymarket Cross is on youtube? (Hull show part 4)

Mike :D

I think you are correct Mike, it does look slightly smaller I will be taking the matter up with my nameplate supplier !!! Yes I have seen the bit on Youtube of Haymarket Cross its very good. Just wish there was a bit more of it.

Cheers

Ian

Mike J said:-

Posted Today, 10:55

Another first class job Ian. Just one small point, the 30 bit of the front number plate seems a little skinny compared to the 605 part. What do you think? Ok I know it's a little pedantic. Did you see that Haymarket Cross is on youtube? (Hull show part 4)

Mike

Its not really being pedantic Ian,hes just got used to not been slapped down all the time whilst S.W.M.B.O. has been away with the girls.Once She's being back a few days he will revert to his subdued self.

Excellent job Ian,but then unlike some folk we both know, I appreciate skillful modelling.

Regards,Del.

Ian,

Very well done - she looks wonderful!

Was it again just a careful overpaint of the black on the tender top, as opposed to a full repaint?

I'm pretty set on doing this myself now, and you mentioned earlier you used Phoenix Precision P101, could I ask did you use Gloss or Dull and was it a careful spray job, or carefully brushed on?

Ian,

Very well done - she looks wonderful!

Was it again just a careful overpaint of the black on the tender top, as opposed to a full repaint?

I'm pretty set on doing this myself now, and you mentioned earlier you used Phoenix Precision P101, could I ask did you use Gloss or Dull and was it a careful spray job, or carefully brushed on?

Many thanks for your positive comments I'm pleased you like it. With ref painting the top of tender all I will say is have a go! it really is easy. I have done many demonstrations over the years on repainting & I always say the same if using a paint brush firstly use a good one & secondly brush the paint on thinly. I nearly always use Precision Paints Satin (Dull)straight from the tin, the BR green is a very good match for Bachmann loco's. All the A2's I have done have had just one coat followed by airbrushing with Ronseal Satin varnish mixed with a little white spirit. This is due to changing the early crest to late type (Fox transfers)& having to varish both sides of the tender. If you are just painting the black on the top you will get away without having to varnish it. with regards Coachmans comments re green sandbox fillers I beg to differ as all the colour photo's I have including ex works show black sandbox fillers. I can only go on the information I have to hand & would be pleased to see a photo of an A2 with green sandbox fillers & if I ever do that loco I will include said colour. I have had a similar situation with blue nameplates on A4s & have absolute proof that three loco's had blue nameplates.

Cheers

Ian H

Many thanks for your positive comments I'm pleased you like it. With ref painting the top of tender all I will say is have a go! it really is easy. I have done many demonstrations over the years on repainting & I always say the same if using a paint brush firstly use a good one & secondly brush the paint on thinly. I nearly always use Precision Paints Satin (Dull)straight from the tin, the BR green is a very good match for Bachmann loco's. All the A2's I have done have had just one coat followed by airbrushing with Ronseal Satin varnish mixed with a little white spirit. This is due to changing the early crest to late type (Fox transfers)& having to varish both sides of the tender. If you are just painting the black on the top you will get away without having to varnish it. with regards Coachmans comments re green sandbox fillers I beg to differ as all the colour photo's I have including ex works show black sandbox fillers. I can only go on the information I have to hand & would be pleased to see a photo of an A2 with green sandbox fillers & if I ever do that loco I will include said colour. I have had a similar situation with blue nameplates on A4s & have absolute proof that three loco's had blue nameplates.

Cheers

Ian H

Ian,

Many thanks for taking the time to explain that. Although I've been modelling since a little lad, most of my tinkering has been with older/knackered RTR stuff and kits, rather than detailed and new RTR stuff costing a 'ton'!

Ref A4's with blue backed plates - the grey matter tells me that 'Empire of India' may have had blue backed nameplates at some point.

Ian,

Many thanks for taking the time to explain that. Although I've been modelling since a little lad, most of my tinkering has been with older/knackered RTR stuff and kits, rather than detailed and new RTR stuff costing a 'ton'!

Ref A4's with blue backed plates - the grey matter tells me that 'Empire of India' may have had blue backed nameplates at some point.

Loco's I have colour pics of with blue nameplates are 'William Whitelaw' 'Empire Of India' & 'Golden Plover' the last is one of my own photo's taken at York in the summer of 1961!

Cheers

Ian H

post-4401-065791200 1291017803_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Having lightened the image posted above, it occurs to me the footplate angle is black. None of the other images on this thread are clear enough to show whether this is the case or not. Can anyone amplify? In BR green livery, the footplate angle should be green.

Hornby get this correct on the A3. Bachmann, with overscale lining on the A1, rather cloud the issue. I do not have an A2 handy to check.

Looking at this area on LNER pacifics in general reveals some interesting variations with the lining on A3s when fitted with AWS conduit along the angle of the footplate.

Bernard

I notice that a certain shop in Sheffield have just increased their price by £30, so I won't now be buying one. Seems a dirty trick after waiting all this time, and probably a sign that delivery is imminent.

Are they honouring thier original order prices? I have a receipt for the original price when I ordered back in March!

As David has already said ,thats a lovely photograph of 60031 at York. If you took photo's of this quality ,how come no books by I.Harper.

Regards,Del.

Thanks Del, I was 14 when I took the photo & I put it down to my dad who was an amateur photographer at the time & would lend me his camera for the day. When I got back home I would get him to help me develop & print my photo's, ah what a great time. Here are a couple of A2's at Waverley station taken when on holiday. With regards the A2 above, no I won't be weathering it as the person I have done it for wants it clean!

Cheers

Ian

post-4401-029874600 1291060534_thumb.jpg

post-4401-085851800 1291060597_thumb.jpg

Thanks Del, I was 14 when I took the photo & I put it down to my dad who was an amateur photographer at the time & would lend me his camera for the day. When I got back home I would get him to help me develop & print my photo's, ah what a great time. Here are a couple of A2's at Waverley station taken when on holiday. With regards the A2 above, no I won't be weathering it as the person I have done it for wants it clean!

Cheers

Ian

Lovely photo's . Irish Eleance shows how balanced a design the A2's were- and I've seen something on Ebay! :D

Mike J said:-

Its not really being pedantic Ian,hes just got used to not been slapped down all the time whilst S.W.M.B.O. has been away with the girls.Once She's being back a few days he will revert to his subdued self.

Excellent job Ian,but then unlike some folk we both know, I appreciate skillful modelling.

Regards,Del.

She's back now Del. How right you are, but I do love a good slapping down from SWMBO! :blink:

This image doe tend to show them in green

http://www.nelpg.org.uk/images/stories/a2/history/history/big1.jpg

though very dark - with a bit of weathering it would be difficult to tell..

Edit: just noticed it's as preserved livery :huh:

Great shot & definatly green which has clarified one thing for me in BR days they were black! I have been going through my colour shots in LNER Pacifics in Colour by Derek Penney & all the loco's shown in there show sandbox fillers are black. Interestingly the front cover shows Blue Peter in very clean condition & they look black to me on that photo.

cheers

Ian H

This image doe tend to show them in green

http://www.nelpg.org...istory/big1.jpg

though very dark - with a bit of weathering it would be difficult to tell..

Edit: just noticed it's as preserved livery :huh:

That's a lovely photo of a beautiful locomotive. I incline to go with the black running plate sides but suggest that together with sandbox covers it might sometimes be down to works and paintshop apprentices, or other unrecorded edict(s). In NZ at least a lot of locos got individual treatment from not entirely official sources.

In any event I look forward to Blue Peter!

Rob