Bang Goes The Theory - Railways

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Bang Goes The Theory (BBC1) on Monday 28th April at 19:30 has a programme about the running of the railways.

Don't know what the content will be but probably worth a look.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! This evening.

The team look at the many measures engineers are taking to ensure Britain's ageing rail system stays on track.
Liz Bonnin looks at how signals may disappear from the trackside and how hearing impairment could be one of the biggest killers on the railway lines. Meanwhile, Maggie Philbin looks at how a train travelling at 125 mph is set to revolutionise trackside maintenance.

Filmed on the Leighton Buzzard narrow gauge railway, according to an e-mailed news release.  It includes friction/slipperiness of rails, so brace yourselves for a comment about "wrong type of leaves".

I wonder how the 125mph train is going to work. :)

Was informed of this by my fiancee who knows I like trains lol. I agree with the above that it was informative and to the point. Worth a watch if you're interested in railways but not familiar with the technicalities. The bit about the Flying Banana was entertaining. 

• RMweb Premium

I though it was quite good, informative and to the point. 

Graham.

Having just watched it myself the reason becomes clear at the end - its a programme produced for the Open University. I somehow doubt that a 'ordinary' half hour BBC show would be able to resist taking the usual pot shots at the railways

• RMweb Gold

Some of the errors were regrettable - to say the least.  The New Measurement Train (which I do not belittle in any way) has been around for some years but was spoken of as if it were only just arriving on the scene while the bit about steam trains keeping down lineside vegetation by fires started by sparks from the engines was utter rubbish.  so what could have been a serious programme spoilt by moments of gross inaccuracy and nonsense.  (the moving block explanation was also pretty simplistic and slightly misleading but i suppose they could hardly say that it had been near impossible to make it work on the Jubilee Line so it won't be appearing anytime really soon on a mainline near you - ERTMS would have been worth some of that time)

Thought the piece on hearing loss/distraction and trespassing was interesting, but they could have done a lineside demo rather than a simulation in the anechoic chamber. That would have made the point much more forcefully. e.g. time someone crossing some (safe and unused) tracks, then stand them with their back to the line in a reasonably noisy environment and measure the time from hearing the train to it passing behind them.

Still with only half an hour to cover a variety of technical subjects, not too bad.

Archived