May be of interest - street view in Graub?nden

QRModeller

I felt the Swiss forum was the best place to put this but Andy or Mods, feel free to move this topic if you think otherwise.

The google street view car has been in our area recently and a few days ago I actually passed it while it was out recording.  Because of this, I became curious to see if there was a general time-frame from images being taken to available to view online; not really as it turns out.

However, while searching I came across this page.  If you scroll down to 'Where is Street View?' and click on the 'Where We're Currently Driving' tab, you get a drop-down list of countries and whether or not anything is currently being done and if so, where.  While I was just browsing the list, I selected Switzerland (labelled as 'Schweiz' in the drop-down) and it came up with Graubünden - Albula, Chur, Davos, Landquart, Pontresina and St. Moritz as current locations.

It doesn't say whether or not it is more 'rail view' or just standard street view, but I thought I'd share this, given that each of the cities/towns has a railway connection.

Matt.

Re 6/6

It give and take though. In Switzerland you have to register with the local authorities when you move house. You also have to have your driving licence on you when driving. Yes, the privacy laws are stricter but the powers that be keep much closer tabs on you than here in the UK.

Jonti

• 1 month later...

Historical note: the Kanton of Graubünden (Grisons) only allowed motorised traffic (i.e. cars) on the roads in 1926 (!!)

And Sir Arthur Conan Doyle introduced skiing there when he lived in Davos.

Its not the car that is registered but the licence plate which stays with the driver when they change car. A much better system IMHO than here in the UK. Some of the cantons have now stopped publishing the list on cost basis.

Jonti

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Re 6/6

It give and take though. In Switzerland you have to register with the local authorities when you move house. You also have to have your driving licence on you when driving. Yes, the privacy laws are stricter but the powers that be keep much closer tabs on you than here in the UK.

Jonti

You have to carry your driving license when driving here in Canada as well - I think the fine is around $250. When I emigrated I didn't have to let anyone in the UK know - except the tax man I suppose, but they find out anyway due to agreements with the CRS.

Archived