Real location - depot in cutting with main line above

AngryMeerkat

Hopefully someone with knowledge of the real railway can help me out a little bit? I'm looking to model a certain picture in my mind, but would prefer it if there was a prototype for it.

I'm thinking of a traction depot in a cutting, or some sidings for engineering wagons. Access to this area is through some brick arch tunnels with a brick wall running behind the area. Above the tunnels and wall is a main line, 2 or 4 track. The raised main line will drop down to the same height as the lower 'depot' area at some point for access.

post-16914-0-02249200-1397584821_thumb.jpg

The red track on the diagram is the lower cutting, with a depot or sidings. The green area is the raised section where the main line (in dark blue) runs. There is a brick wall (in light blue) running the length of the raised area, which gives access to 2 brick arch tunnels under the main line.

So does such a track formation exist in real life, and if so where is it? Ideally this place would still be in existence now, but anything post 1960s will be fine.

Allerton T&RSMD (as was) has this kind of layout but in reverse, the Merseyrail line to Hunts Cross runs in a cutting next to the depot but at a lower level, and the WCML is roughly the same level. I need the main running lines at a higher level.

If such a place does exist, I'm sure one of my fellow forum members will know it and I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Mark

Ps apologies for the very raw diagram, it was drawn freehand on my iPad using a free app. The scale is M-scale......M for Made-up!

• RMweb Premium

The only one I can think that came near this was Westhouses, which ended up as a sub shed of Toton full of 20's in pairs.   The shed was at the bottom of the valley with the main lne above it.  The junction however wasn't through arches but straight up to the main line. 

Jamie

Drayton Park depot on the former Northern City Line in London (near Finsbury Park) - next to the station and with plenty of possible scenic break tunnel mouths as well. The site is now just waste ground next to the station.

The ECML out of Kings Cross and the Canonbury link pass very close by at higher levels.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, it's giving me lots of ideas and information. Currently I'm googling each of the mentioned locations and looking for pictures and track plans, and looking at google earth to get a feel for each place.

Stewarts Lane offers most of what I'm looking for, but on a much larger scale than I hoped. But the depot and raised running lines on brick arches are there for sure.

I like the look of Westhouses, and a grassy bank instead of a brick arch offers some colour and interest, but the scenic breaks would be difficult to create. But the 'feel' of the place is exactly what I'm looking for.

Bricklayers Arms, Warrington Arpley and Drayton Park are next on my investigations list.

Thanks for all the ideas

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions so far, it's giving me lots of ideas and information. Currently I'm googling each of the mentioned locations and looking for pictures and track plans, and looking at google earth to get a feel for each place.

Stewarts Lane offers most of what I'm looking for, but on a much larger scale than I hoped. But the depot and raised running lines on brick arches are there for sure.

I like the look of Westhouses, and a grassy bank instead of a brick arch offers some colour and interest, but the scenic breaks would be difficult to create. But the 'feel' of the place is exactly what I'm looking for.

Bricklayers Arms, Warrington Arpley and Drayton Park are next on my investigations list.

Thanks for all the ideas

Mark

Westhouses was definitely atmospheric with just the walls and no roof.  and lots of 20's and even the early 56's pottering about.  It's at the bottom of a valley so the scenery could be built up with a little bit of modellers licence.

Jamie

Jamie

Wasn't Holbeck similar to that?  Edge Hill certainly had plenty of levels too.

Funny you mention Edge Hill, I grew up in Liverpool and it was these 'roofless tunnels' with the houses on top as you go beyond Edge Hill and into Liverpool Lime St that is sitting on my mind. Although from memory (late 80s/early 90s) Edge Hill was pretty much a ghost station, lots of track but only a carriage washing plant still active whenever I passed through there, usually on my way to Crewe with my dad (he knew some amazing spots around Crewe to see the whole diesel depot and some of the works site!).

It's also the freedom I was granted to wander round Allerton T&RSMD and Speke loco stabling point as a young teen that means a depot layout will always hold a place in my modelling heart. Allerton and Speke were the places I first drove real trains, from 08s up and down the road into the wheel lathe at Allerton to the 'new' class 90s from Speke down to Garston Freightliner Terminal. Some real happy memories from a time now long past!

Unfortunately Edge Hill has the same problem as Allerton for me - the running lines are level with Allerton depot and below the carriage depot at Edge Hill.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't Holbeck similar to that?  Edge Hill certainly had plenty of levels too.

Holbeck was all on one level with it's exit into a cutting where the exit tracks joined a four track Midland Main line to the south.  However the line climbed alongside the depot towards the north before splitting in two to either head north or east.  The junction was (and still is) crossed by the LNWR approach route to Leeds New on the heavily curved viaduct that was later incoporated into the line to London, briefly electrified and used for storing mark IV stock and now disused.  This ran across the back of the depot and provided a great view of the roofless shed with it's turntables.   The shed exit goes under the road overbridge for Nineveh Road.  The depot is still in use servicing track machines in the old Midland Repair workshop.

Jamie

I know that you are looking for a prototype but the model Stoney Lane depot sounds similar to what you are after

It's basic idea is very similar, and it's done to a far higher standard than I could ever achieve! Thanks for directing me to it, an excellent layout.

Mark

This is going way back into my memory (and is therefore open to challenge!), but were there not high-level lines over or beside the shed yard at Edge Hill? I have a distinct memory of watching a Stanier 5 being backed up a long way across the yard and taking a run at a steep gradient up to a high-level line, and just making it to the top.

Holbeck was all on one level with it's exit into a cutting where the exit tracks joined a four track Midland Main line to the south.  However the line climbed alongside the depot towards the north before splitting in two to either head north or east.  The junction was (and still is) crossed by the LNWR approach route to Leeds New on the heavily curved viaduct that was later incoporated into the line to London, briefly electrified and used for storing mark IV stock and now disused.  This ran across the back of the depot and provided a great view of the roofless shed with it's turntables.   The shed exit goes under the road overbridge for Nineveh Road.  The depot is still in use servicing track machines in the old Midland Repair workshop.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, I don't think there's any track to the old repair workshop any more, there is however track to the area where the new service shed is ( re-built where the old one was ), a fueling area and also stabling roads, and washing plant.

Northern use the depot to stable class 144s and 155s

http://www.rtsinfrastructure.com/

155342 from Bridge road entrance

post-9437-0-94973400-1397676894_thumb.jpg

Bridge road entrance general shot

post-9437-0-09662200-1397676898_thumb.jpg

144016 from Nineveh Road 

post-9437-0-63217700-1397676901_thumb.jpg

general view of the depot on Google

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.787984,-1.556325&spn=0.002532,0.004823&t=h&z=18

SGJ

• RMweb Gold

There were a couple of good ones south of Wolverhampton. Where the steel terminal is, formerly served from the GWR line, yards on the canal side were fed by tracks which went under the LMS line. They were known ad Shrubbery Basin and Chillington Basin. The latter is listed and still largely there although semi derelict. Andy York posted some stuff on them here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47549-shrubbery-basins-wolverhampton/?hl=%2Bchillington+%2Bbasin&do=findComment&comment=530669

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jamie, I don't think there's any track to the old repair workshop any more, there is however track to the area where the new service shed is ( re-built where the old one was ), a fueling area and also stabling roads, and washing plant.

Northern use the depot to stable class 144s and 155s

http://www.rtsinfrastructure.com/

155342 from Bridge road entrance

attachicon.gifHO_155342.JPG

Bridge road entrance general shot

attachicon.gifHO_holbeck shed.JPG

144016 from Nineveh Road 

attachicon.gifHO_144016.JPG

general view of the depot on Google

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.787984,-1.556325&spn=0.002532,0.004823&t=h&z=18

SGJ

Shows I should spend a bit of time looking over the wall there again.  Last time I paid it any attention it was track machines.  Nice to see it being used as a running depot again.

Jamie

Shows I should spend a bit of time looking over the wall there again.  Last time I paid it any attention it was track machines.  Nice to see it being used as a running depot again.

Jamie

The track machines are still there too, they seam to be using the sidings nearest to the running line to stable them 

SGJ

Archived