The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

• RMweb Premium

No-one visits Essex for the views, but there is some lovely countryside here. I took these shots in and around Terling last week, this is pretty much in the geographical middle of the county:

P1030064a.jpg.88ac77a30b4ac25078c87f8d46124c08.jpg

P1030067a.jpg.c2ffa016995be39ff4beafa5432431ff.jpg

P1030069a.jpg.f9f9bb3e5905832d4f1a7f989562413b.jpg

Terling Ford is only passable in a tractor nowadays, or possibly a larger 4x4 during a really dry summer.

- Richard.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Terling is a nice place on a sunny day - we only live a couple of miles down the road and walk our dog there every now and then. Go on the right day and you might find that the tiny cafe is open (takeaway only at present of course).

• Like 1

About a week ago it was 22C and I was in shorts and a T-Shirt, now we are back to frost and snow. The brief taste of balmier weather reminded me that, after very long break - and official retirement, I became one of those idiotic 'born-again bikers' last year. I don't need a bike - but most of my pals have them, and the ability to go out for a Jolly as a bit of a posse appeals. Getting back on a bike was a little surreal. As a kid - I started-out on an execrable BSA Bantam....like the Telegram-boys used to ride - enough to put one off biking for life. In fact it did have a good go at killing me. Thankfully, modern stuff just works - unlike me - all stiff and creaky. I'm convinced that if I come-off I'll be found halfway up a cow-pasture, still locked rigidly in the riding position......:crazy:

At least being in my dotage, I don't feel the need to do any more than potter like the silly old fart I am. Roll-on summer I say - and lots of 'Wing Commander's weather'.... 

IMG_7036.JPG.988dd1c12bf4950efeddcd546c8ade6f.JPG

Edited by Methuselah
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

1594787305_OldColwyn13April2021.jpg.d6b5f43ddf75202c9c6e7c6ce28a4fa8.jpg

Colwyn Bay and Rhos-on-Sea from Old Colwyn. 

Not great art but today is the first time that I have been able to see this view since 13th September 2020. 

David 

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2021 at 11:51, Killybegs said:

Our local beach this morning.

258464881_Fintra01.jpg.5eb83e0280c5a722ac1b257a0a693b67.jpg

Delightful, John. thanks for posting. I'm missing Ireland and especially Dunmore East, desperately. Eighteen months since we've been and not sure with quarantine restrictions when we will be there again. We only got back into Wales last month!

David

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I can't imagine that the police would be happy to free them if they had done anything wrong. We also have to remember that the Home Office has a particularly poor reputation at the moment with the Windrush scandal.

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, Neil said:

I can't imagine that the police would be happy to free them if they had done anything wrong. We also have to remember that the Home Office has a particularly poor reputation at the moment with the Windrush scandal.

Given the huge crowd surrounding the van I don't think the Police really had much choice ! The Home Office must come clean and say exactly what was happening to these two men, and why. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

Given the huge crowd surrounding the van I don't think the Police really had much choice ! The Home Office must come clean and say exactly what was happening to these two men, and why. 

Yes I'd agree, but in the linked report the Police seemed to want to distance themselves from Home Office action.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A postcard from Scarborough on 28th May 2021.

The sea fret had mostly lifted by the time Mrs 4630 and I had completed the first half of our walk from North Bay to South Bay.

28995990_SouthBayScarborough28052021-RMweb.jpg.9472d47c4ca6d0ca8c061c0ef0ab0186.jpg

• Like 10

The past few days have definitely been among them. 

I've spent far too much of my life in places and situations that I've never felt the least urge to revisit, particularly at my own expense. Lately I've been working in the Ipswich / Felixstowe area and it's really rather pleasant, driving around leafy country lanes - SO GREEN after the recent weather, the smell of overnight rain in the morning, birds singing... I don't have to sit through any more interminable delays at airports, catch choppers at silly o'clock (ANY day with two four o'clock in it, is a BAD day). It is, pretty much, how I intended to end my career and it seems to working out....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 4630 said:

A postcard from Scarborough on 28th May 2021.

The sea fret had mostly lifted by the time Mrs 4630 and I had completed the first half of our walk from North Bay to South Bay.

28995990_SouthBayScarborough28052021-RMweb.jpg.9472d47c4ca6d0ca8c061c0ef0ab0186.jpg

I hope that bus did not back under a low bridge to end up looking like that! :yahoo:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I hope that bus did not back under a low bridge to end up looking like that! :yahoo:

:offtopic:

EYMS fleet number 892.  Details here, although clearly it’s no longer delicensed.

EYMS Fleet List

Like many in Scarborough, it’s enjoying its retirement after service in London.

Edited by 4630
Hit save too quickly!!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

When a seaside-bound steam engine heads through a National Park early on a Saturday morning, could you be anywhere else in the world? Leander heads through Edale at the foot of Kinder Scout on 5/6/21, in charge of the Scarborough Flyer.IMG_1699.JPG.0fb6ddca0545a584098d1bb24cb5e052.JPG

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

When a seaside-bound steam engine heads through a National Park early on a Saturday morning, could you be anywhere else in the world? Leander heads through Edale at the foot of Kinder Scout on 5/6/21, in charge of the Scarborough Flyer.IMG_1699.JPG.0fb6ddca0545a584098d1bb24cb5e052.JPG

Hi Chris,

That's great shot. Hope you don't mind me brightening it up a bit:

edale_1500x1000.jpg.339368bf998f77c60f5a95e976623315.jpg

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Chris,

That's great shot. Hope you don't mind me brightening it up a bit:

No worries, I rarely edit photos as I don't have an eye for whether I've actually improved it or not! Had thought this one was a little pale, but the early morning conditions and slight haze are reasonably well reflected. Your changes improved the colours and the sharpness, thank you!

• Like 2