Freelance (ish) loco proportions

Hi Guys

I am now onto starting my 2nd 7mm NG loco and I hope something a little better than my first one.

Now I would like to claim the disclaimer that this loco is a freelance job but I want it to look like it could have been a real one - ie it needs to be credible 

Now the chassis is an RTR one ( and I am going to use this one ) and I have little desire to do much to it apart from cutting off the front and rear buffer beams 

I would really like to use this body style to fit my railway's back story so I think what I am really asking is if you feel the proportions look about right.

The cylinder thingy ( I think that's what it's called? ) isn't quite under the chimney's centreline - is that acceptable

It is going to be 0-16.5 7mm scale and is a freelance British outline - but the designer of my railways locos (Stan Dorsmein) may well have some German influences too

PS - Wheelbase is 29mm

post-20732-0-77768100-1398000334_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

Two things.

The centre line of the cylinders is generally directly below the centreline of the chimney for sound engineering reasons - most often the direct passage of the exhaust from the cylinders (centre thereof) to the blast-pipe (centred under the chimney. There are of course exceptions to this where the better compromise necessitates a misalignment, but the majority are built this way for this reason.

Secondly, your smoke box is drawn too shallow, and should be almost half as deep (wide, on the drawing) again. The gasses drawn through the boiler are entrained by the exhaust blast, and sucked up through the chimney, but this all takes some room to happen smoothly. If the smoke box is not of adequate size, the boiler will not steam properly. Looking at photos and drawings of existing engines will give you a clue regarding proportions. I don't recall a smoke box shorter than the cylinders they served, and often a bit longer.

Best,

Giles

Thanks Giles I really appreciate your feedback

I have changed the picture a bit to fit the suggestions made by you and others on the NG forum too

I agree that this looks much better

post-20732-0-65056700-1398006083_thumb.jpg

Interestingly everything above the footplate on the original is a scale drawing of Victoria from the. Rye and Camber and that how big the smoke box was - I still agree that to my eye ( which is very untrained ) it looks wrong and now looks better a bit deeper

To be honest, I've never understoood why so many narrow gauge modellers insist on 'reinventing the wheel' by desiging their own freelance locos which are invariably mechically unsound or impossibly over complicated for the type of line they proport to be modelling. This is part of why narrow gauge modelling is often not taken seriously by modellers with broader horizons...

Why not just copy a prototype design and assume the builders simply chose something from the loco builders standard calalogue (possibly with a few cosmetic variations to taste) - thats what all but the best funded or most self sufficient prototypes did.. :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I've never understoood why so many narrow gauge modellers insist on 'reinventing the wheel' by desiging their own freelance locos which are invariably mechically unsound or impossibly over complicated for the type of line they proport to be modelling. This is part of why narrow gauge modelling is often not taken seriously by modellers with broader horizons...

Why not just copy a prototype design and assume the builders simply chose something from the loco builders standard calalogue (possibly with a few cosmetic variations to taste) - thats what all but the best funded or most self sufficient prototypes did.. :dontknow:

Because it's fun?

But unless your name is Emmett, is it any less 'fun' to build to realistic proportions??

Hello PLD

I am genuinely interested in your opinion. Are you saying that you feel the design I have shown above is not proportioned realistically ?

If that is what you are saying, I am keen to know what exactly you feel looks wrong about the designs proportions as I am very open to suggestions.

But unless your name is Emmett, is it any less 'fun' to build to realistic proportions??

Any fool, (ok most fools) can build an unrealistic loco. It takes skill to make it realistic and believable and the likes of Emmett to make it totally unrealistic and still believable!

Your design is surprisingly realistic, especially as the rear axle fits neatly in front of the fire box (a common error on concoctions!). The top looks like the Bagnall it is copied from, and Bagnall usually used an underslung version of the valve gear, but a customer could have specified it that way and Bagnall would have built it as specified.

The loco might look better with a small pony truck under the cab, and it certainly would have run better with one, an important consideration if it was intended for light passenger work, but it isn't impossible as an 0-4-0T. (The R&C locos were 0-6-0T.)

A marine boiler is one that has the firebox compacted to save space, and does not need to project down into the frame, although because of the reduced size of the firebox it is harder to maintain steam with a marine boiler than with a conventional one, Arthur Heywood found this out on his engines, the ravenglass & eskdale later found this problem when they got his engines in about 1912 after his death, the engines were worked hard on their freight traffic but could not maintain steam on the line's gradients, He chose a marine boiler because of his radial motion

to show it, here is a replica of one of Heywoods engines half built

http://www.7-8ths.info/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16683387.0;attach=116634;image

As they have said, it would be best to have a trailing wheel, In my eyes it would make the loco look more like a Kerr Stuart "Sky lark" class https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kerr+stuart+skylark&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rElaU4r8KIi30QWZkIDgCQ&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=484

Also, Bagnall had their own valve gear which was standard on their engines, unless stated otherwise.

I have a Plateway Press copy of a Bagnall catalogue, because of copyright I wont post any of it here but I could show some of the engines by PM.

The two Rye & Camber steam locos had conventional copper fireboxes even though the basically level grades and light loadings on the line might well have suited locos with a marine firebox. The rear driving axle was situated to the rear of the firebox as it would have been on an 0-6-0T.

Although Bagnall's had their own designs of valve gear - initially Baguley and, after that gentleman left the Company, Bagnall-Price - the Rye & Camber locos were fitted with inside Stephenson link gear; furthermore Bagnall's had, by the Great War, adopted Walschaerts valve gear for much of their production, even though the underslung links they tended to fit were vulnerable to damage from contact with obstructions.

Thanks Giles I really appreciate your feedback

I have changed the picture a bit to fit the suggestions made by you and others on the NG forum too

I agree that this looks much better

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Interestingly everything above the footplate on the original is a scale drawing of Victoria from the. Rye and Camber and that how big the smoke box was - I still agree that to my eye ( which is very untrained ) it looks wrong and now looks better a bit deeper

The extended smokebox does look better and solves your smokebox to cylinder centreline issue as well

Archived