The Fiddlers Canyon railroad

GWR88

]Hi all,

I've said i would post a topic about my railroad for a while now and i've finally got round to doing. Hooray! As a few of you might know, the layout was going to be set in St. George, UT but after a lot of help from various members, the layout is now set in Cedar city, UT. Anyway, hers the backstory:

The Fiddlers canyon railroad was a shortline set up in the 1930s by private investors to help supply a small community not far outside of Cedar city, Utah. In 1953, the Union pacific railroad invested into the shortline to help it get re-started after the war. Due to this investment, you’ll regularly see Union pacific locomotives visiting the yard. Furthermore, the Union pacific connected the shortline to its Cedar city subdivision.

Fiddlers canyon is set in the 1970s and represents a shortline that supplies a small town not far outside of Cedar city. 

post-19101-0-20535600-1398014180_thumb.jpg

Please ignore the SD60 its magical and can skip through time! :jester:

At the moment i cannot upload anymore photos as i can't make the file sizes smaller on my computer :O But i will try to upload the rest later on!

Thanks

Lloyd

Few more photos

post-19101-0-83498500-1398013996_thumb.jpg

Operating paperwork

post-19101-0-53165600-1398014038_thumb.jpg

Almost overall view of the scenic section (Even though its not that scenic at the mo)

post-19101-0-21421700-1398014363_thumb.jpg

Overall scenic area. With SP GP-35 6525 switching in 1 and 2 track

Hope you all like it and i shall be adding more photos as time progresses. Any questions regarding anything please ask!

Thanks

Lloyd

Guest 40-something

Hi Lloyd

Cedar City is a good location, been there many times as my sister lives in St George, UT.  I've though about building a small shunting layout set there but with DRGW motive power, or a fictional short line.

Will be watching this with interest

Hi Lloyd

Cedar City is a good location, been there many times as my sister lives in St George, UT.  I've though about building a small shunting layout set there but with DRGW motive power, or a fictional short line.

Will be watching this with interest

Cheers 40-something, this could soon be on show in November if your ever in Hampshire (UK that is)

UPDATE

Since posting these photos, not alot has changed on the railroad but my way of operating it has! The layout now runs on a simple waybill system (well, simple now i understand how it all works!) which also includes a way to operate locomotives. If anyone is interseted in seeing any of the waybill system don't hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Lloyd

I shall try tonight Daniel. If not, then it shall be uploaded tomorrow. Heres the website i got the templates from for the waybils:http://mrtrains.com/rr/layout/operations.html

However, i make a lot of my own paperwork by modelling it after the prototype. For example, i made a booklet about safety regulations for the railroad after a conrail example so newcomers to operating know the rules! :jester:

Hi all

As requested, photos of the waybills and carcards i use to operate Fiddlers canyon next to their associated wagons

post-19101-0-60600400-1398521860_thumb.jpg

Close up of one of the waybills inside a carcard

post-19101-0-95649600-1398521920_thumb.jpg

And a lococard i made myself so i can stage locomotive failures ans such to add interest

post-19101-0-86782400-1398522290_thumb.jpg

Hope you all have a good weekend!

lloyd

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Unfortunately, work has recently stopped on the railroad because of a MAJOR problem! CSX TRANSPORTATION!! I i was watching a programme on youtube about CSX movements in Illinois. Due to this im thinking of changing the locale of the layout to Illinois somewhere.....ARRGH!! :O

What do we all think, move to Illinois (Lots of nice railroads running through so i can have some colour!) or stay put in Utah. If i change to Illinois i would still keep the name as Fiddlers canyon yard.

Decisions decisions decisions!

You need more trees for Illinois. ;)

Be careful; eastern Railroads are insidious - next you'll find Conrail or Norfolk Southern...

Adrian

A Southern California setting is worse, as it has many distinctive palm trees, which are difficult to model or very expensive to buy.

Andy

You need more trees for Illinois. ;)

Be careful; eastern Railroads are insidious - next you'll find Conrail or Norfolk Southern...

Adrian

Stp it! Im already looking at a NS loco! :jester:

You guys should use the old idea of painting one road on one side of the locos and cars and a different road on the other sides.

Also it has been said that all small towns in the US look alike. . .

Andy

What if its on a turntable? :dontknow:  :jester:

Also it has been said that all small towns in the US look alike. . .

To some extent, that is true. There are a few regional differences in architecture and businesses as well as different plants, but it can be difficult to place a photo of a small town unless you can read the signs or the license plates. As an example, the Hot Dog restaurant that Pete posted a picture of in his thread about NY area structures wouldn't look out of place pretty much anywhere in the USA. 

Adrian

why not create your own shortline. Granted, it's still perhaps best to fix the geographical location and era.. but you can run all kinds of locos then (useful if you are prone to excitement, inspiration and impulse buys!)

Hi all,

The layout is finally coming along! Today i shall be spending time in the garden re-painting part of the backscene as there are a few bits i missed :O . There is a new loco on the roster now aswell: Union pacific GP20 493 affectionately nicknamed "slug" by the yard crew already. Also, an update on moving Illinois or not: The layout is staying in Utah but im moving the time frame to the 21st century due to an impulse buy of a walthers difco dump car in BNSF :nono:  (Now have an excuse for an FVM GP60m in BNSF.....)

Cheers 

Lloyd

Archived