The Fiddlers Canyon railroad

GWR88

Afternoon one and all,

With a day off today I decided to knuckle down and complete a few jobs that needed doing on the railroad. This morning, I woke up nice and early to catch the train into Eastleigh to buy a few bits I needed from AC models...

post-19101-0-68175800-1424964765_thumb.jpg

Although I usually enjoy the ride into Eastleigh, today was an exception as SWT had put the heating up full blast in the 450 so it was sweltering!

After returning from my quest to the shops, I sat down and have now completed the embankment down to the railroad along the backscene.

post-19101-0-16953300-1424964754_thumb.jpg

Building the embankment, gluing etc actually took more time than I anticipated so as a result, its the only major job I've finished today. Fortunately, I have painted a load of fencing ready to plant at the weekend.

post-19101-0-41353400-1424964746_thumb.jpg

A bit more of a close up view to show the flowers and such I've added to the shrubbery to help break up the endless greenery.

post-19101-0-94225100-1424964736_thumb.jpg

Finally, an overall shot with the embankment along the lineside. I'm thinking of adding a building or two along the backscene at the warehouse district end of the layout but i'm still deciding whether or not to. Your views on adding the buildings or not are more than welcome! At the weekend, I'll update everyone if I've planted the fencing and if I do or don't add a few buildings.

All the best,

Lloyd

Layout is looking great Lloyd :)

I'd be tempted to exhibit it if I were you. :D

Regarding the backscenes, I'd definitely do something with it - is there anything suitable on CGTextures? I seem to remember a few concrete and brick factory/warehouse buildings on there that would look good.

Maybe even some of their industrial/chemical works textures - the ones taken from a distance would make fantastic backdrops.

Dan,

I was looking at the Wood Bros corrugated shed that you have on your layout to maybe add to it along with the same warehouse that sits on Douglas Creek. A chemical works or something similar would certainly be different though! In regard to exhibiting it, the only major exhibitions around my area have already been until next year apart from the ones in the New Forest but its rather to get there when your parents take you! It was nearly exhibited awhile ago before I reworked it but I didn't get along with the club which was organizing the show so it never happened unfortunately.

Lloyd.

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Best laid plans...

Well today didn't exactly go to plan! I got up rather early to go up to Ally Pally with my shopping list that had these items on it:

A portacabin

GraFar nuclear flask wagons

20ft ISO containers

So how the heck did I end up with these!? :scratchhead:

post-19101-0-55304300-1427580435_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find what I wanted on my list (Apart from the nuclear wagons but they were expensive!) so I ended up with some lumber cars somehow...Oh well!

On the layout front, I've finally settled on a plan for the empty cobbled yard at the end of the layout. Taking my inspiration from around Everett, WA, thearea is going to be an auto wreckers.

post-19101-0-73835000-1427583714_thumb.jpg

Its going to have a compound which will contain a few old classics and a pickup. Outside the fence, theres going to be a scrap pile along with a few tyres for sale. All of this will be going along a beaten old concrete road. Hopefully I'll start work on the auto wreckers tomorrow.

Until next time,

All the best,

Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Today I told myself I'd carry on with the railroad and try to finish all of the nature related scenics. With glorious sunshine gracing the south coast for the first time in forever though that task hasn't exactly been completed. Nonetheless, I have completed the embankment of hedges along the backscene as it was rather gap ridden. Also, I've downloaded the Clever Models Manilla Rope and Cordage kit from their freebies page but I need a little help re-naming it. Being on a modern era layout, the name doesn't really suit it and neither does the industry it houses but I don't want a vacant build modelled as I'm using it as a customer for the railroad. I was thinking either of these two names may be suitable:

Masters of Puppets Co.

Ace of Spades Playing Cards.

(A gold star for anyone who gets the references of those names :declare:  ;) )

Bearing in mind its a small building however, I'm not sure if those two industries are suitable so please fire away with other suitable companies/ industries that can take up residence.

All the best,

Lloyd

Ace of Spades Playing Cards. Motorhead are much better than Metallica ;)

I'm going to have the Vanilla Radio studio somewhere (non rail-served) when I get round to actually making something, And the Now is the Colour paint factory... (same reference in both cases there...).

• 1 year later...

Wow....theres a fair amount of dust in here! Lets brush off the cobwebs from this mighty tome over here and have a read about what been happening shall we as of late? Dont breathe the dust in now....AH! Theres an entry here in the book, it reads:

Fiddlers Canyon Railroad

URGENT

Due to ill finances the Railroad will cease operations from date printed below:

31st June 1975

All property to remain with hope of salvaging the Railroad with funds soon.

Superintendent.

Well...that was a fun book wasn't it?

Yes ladies and gents if you hadn't guessed by now I am looking at reusing FCR for a new project which I shall hopefully finish. The railroad has sat unused for a good number of months as it never had any true operating potential I hoped to achieve in such a small space so I'm looking at reusing the board to make a new layout upon based around an engine servicing terminal near a small branch line which would have many elements of its steam days left behind so I couldn't have steam and diesels rubbing shoulders. As a result of this, I would like as much input as possible on engine terminal plans etc and any other information.

My hope I to make a better layout learning from the mistakes made on this layout including full dcc wiring, lighting and code 55 track.

All the best ladies and gents,

Lloyd

Archived