The Fiddlers Canyon railroad

GWR88

Soon you shall! At the moment the roster consists of:

GP20 493-A union pacific loco used as a road switcher.

GP35 6525-A southern pacific locomotive which is now owned by union pacific but the yard crew are a lazy lot so it still sports its bloody nose livery and number!

GP60M-A locomotive promised to the yard crews after its is returned from stores

If the GP20 is a slug what engine is the "mother"? A slug is a locomotive that has no engine in it.  It is just a weighted frame with powered trucks, it uses power from an attached mother unit to operate it.  It cannot operate by itself, only when attached to the mother.  Since most are used at low speeds the mother unit can generate enough power to operate both its traction motors and the slug's traction motors.

I figured that you weren't familiar with the term, on the other hand if a shortline had a 40-50 year old GP20 lying around, the best use of it might be to gut it and make it a slug.  8-)

Morning all,

Bit of an update-The team tracks are playing up like mad! The points which lead in are not conducting electric which means no switching! I'm hoping its just dirts stuck between the rails as i couldn't bear to rip the points up! Also, a parcel arrived yesterday! A fox valley gp60m in BNSF heritage! Anyway hope you all have a good day!

Lloyd

DanielB-I will have photos of the rostered locos by tomorrow definitely!

Evening all,

I've done a little spending today! I went to the brockenhurst model show and found these in a rummage box!

post-19101-0-24813600-1400956448_thumb.jpg

post-19101-0-53950800-1400956484_thumb.jpg

post-19101-0-31733600-1400956507_thumb.jpg

The coaches were bought to help the MofW gang get around or to be a heritage train! The stock car was boght to be patched into UP just as a little side project in the evenings.

And after getting this:

post-19101-0-29996600-1400956567_thumb.jpg

I've decided to fit a tail light (FRED) into the observation car. So far i have a rough circuit built on a bit of board and it works!

post-19101-0-59128400-1400956954_thumb.jpg

DanielB-Sorry the locos aren't on the layout but its such a mess at the moment!! Needs a clear off and a quick track clean

post-19101-0-91064600-1400957112_thumb.jpg

GP20 493

More photos of the locos after i;ve converted them to a smaller file size

Until next time!

Lloyd

The Rivarossi Pullman is a pretty good representation of a plan 3410 12-1 (12 section, 1 drawing room) sleeper - a standard car used on many roads. It is also similar to a plan 2410 12-1 sleeper. The 'observation' car is, I think, in the wrong box - it actually represents two types of car that were unique to ATSF - either a baggage-lounge or a coach-baggage-express (they looked similar). The Rivarossi observation car looks like a coach with a balcony on one end.

For more details see http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/protopass1.htm and http://www.spookshow.net/passenger/rivheavy.html

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

I thought it didn't look like an observation car but it will look fine in n MofW train. I;m thinking of patching them just for a practice but i don't now what parts to patch! :O  

For UP MoW the cars would most likely be overall aluminium with black lettering. Microscale 60-254 would provide the lettering, for the paint I find Humbrol 56 Aluminium over a grey primer goes on well and is not too shiny.

Hope this helps

Nick

For UP MoW the cars would most likely be overall aluminium with black lettering. Microscale 60-254 would provide the lettering, for the paint I find Humbrol 56 Aluminium over a grey primer goes on well and is not too shiny.

Hope this helps

Nick

Actually they are a kinda pukey green.  Floquil light green was pretty close.

Actually they are a kinda pukey green. Floquil light green was pretty close.

Walthers UP MoW Green:

post-6819-0-66697800-1401121796_thumb.jpg

The usual rule of sticking to a prototype photo applies- depending upon the era and item, stuff was outshopped in Green, Grey, or Silver. This is how it sits with Armour Yellow and a nice western desert evening light:

post-6819-0-34974300-1401122136_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well its certainly been a while since i last updated everyone on Fiddlers Canyon. Since last time, the yard has passed hands into BNSF ownership. However, the Union Pacific has running rights onto the tracks. I've also done work on adding more grass to the layouts. I won't bore you by waffling on I'll let the photos speak.

post-19101-0-07496000-1423937638_thumb.jpg

Here BNSF 9839 switches the yard whilst warbonnet dash 8-40cw 814 idles on the opposing track.

post-19101-0-07496000-1423937638_thumb.jpg

An overall view of the unkempt yard. I'm working right now on a small depot based on one at Lodge Grass, MT and the blair line blairstown depot.

In the bottom corner on the paving slabs, I'm hoping to add a few small homes to show the beginnings of a small town and a little grain elevator.

Well I hope that this little update has shown everyone just where I'm at with Fiddlers Canyon and I hope updating this thread will spur me on to carry on and finish the layout.

All the best,

Lloyd

Thanks for the feedback Rob. The yard'll probably have a few weed tufts here and there and a few scrubby bushes around added. I've nearly finished the co-op shed as of tonight it just needs doors and a roof. Also, a new loco has been added to the the Canyons roster: Santa Fe SD40-2 5039. I'll add a picture tomorrow.

Thats all for now,

Lloyd

Thank you for the kind words Dan.  Ina ll honesty, the main is exceptionally clean because I ran out of PVA to stick the grass down with! However, it will still be noticably cleaner than the yard tracks once done. On the RR front, the SD40-2 is bedding in nicely now after I ran it up and down the yard last night.

post-19101-0-35126900-1424173738_thumb.jpg

Heres 5077 (NOT 5039) passing another ex-ATSF loco as it enters the yard tracks.

I really like this loco and it was at a steal price as well so that makes it even better! Hopefully I'll have a DCC board ordered for it by tonight ready for the big change over to DCC.

post-19101-0-84485900-1424173747_thumb.jpg

A broadside as the new loco idles in the yard awaiting its next duty.

Meanwhile, I've had to re-do part of the co-op shed (Measure twice, check once!) so here it is sat next to the plans I've drawn up for it.

post-19101-0-10835500-1424173728_thumb.jpg

I think scratchbuilding the shed has been a far better experiance than getting a ready to plonk building as I've had a lot of fun doing all of the scale plans beforehand so I know what to cut. The shed is painted with tamiya acrylics as I think they're brilliant for sticking to plastics and they come up with a dull matte finish much like corrugated metal.

Well I hope enjoyed that little update.

All the best,

Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

A good evening to all,

I've spent the evening working on the railroad gluing down more bits of scenery that were loose from last time. Also, I've been positioning a few buildings to see how they look and building up a mild embankment along the backdrop. Instead of just talking however, I'll show a few photos to show what I've done as of tonight.

post-19101-0-90924000-1424904704_thumb.jpg

Heres the embankment being carved out of various bits of polystyrene. Hopefully tomorrow, it'll have some greenery on it and some fencing along the top as well.

post-19101-0-65577300-1424904723_thumb.jpg

This is the FedEx warehouse that I got at the Eastleigh Eurotrack show from Weston Models. The show was rather european for my liking but it was nicee to see Hacedina Avenue in operation and say hello to Dan.

On another note, I've finally taken the plunge into DCC and bought a Gaugemaster prodigy express 2. So far, its been a joy to use as its not to dissimilar to my old analogue controller.Unfortunately, the only loco I can run on the layout now at the moment is my new farish 37...oh well.

post-19101-0-29009700-1424904687_thumb.jpg

I hope this little update has shown you guys I am still working on the railroad!

All the best,

Lloyd

post-19101-0-91884300-1424904677_thumb.jpg

Archived