Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictional Counties

One thing that is noticeable in our hobby is that many layouts are in a fictional town located in a real county or 'area' of the country. But, if one has already gone to the bother of creating a personality for the fictitious town, why not take it a step further and create a whole county to locate the layout in? Authors have been doing it for years (some more well known examples include Midsomer and Wessex). However, relatively few model railways seem to have followed this path-is there any particular reason why? It offers complete freedom and could be served by and of the Big Four, depending on location of the county.

This is the route I am taking for my layout in the planning stage, located in the county of Morshire; home to Morshire National buses and the original home of the London Northern Southern & Central Railway (LNSCR) and latterly the BR Central Region.

Over to you...

GJ

• RMweb Premium

Borsetshire has been before and done to death on the Archers,

But why stop at a county, when the entire independent Republic of Cleckhuddersfax is out there waiting to be rendered in4mm or even 2mm scale.

Regards

Ian

In the South-Eastern midlands it is quite possible that county names such as a Saxon 'Nor(th)sex', or Anglian 'Midfolk' and 'Westfolk' might equally have resulted from the settlement pattern. Counties such as Hitchland (compare to Rutland), Bu(ntin)gfordshire, Lutonshire, Verlamshire, Watfordshire are all eminent possibilities had the chips fallen slightly differently, and there are many more such possibilities. Why one location (typically on a major route / river crossing / defensible / long settled) was favoured over all others similar in the locality to become the county identifier is not a clear and logical process.

One thing that is noticeable in our hobby is that many layouts are in a fictional town located in a real county or 'area' of the country. But, if one has already gone to the bother of creating a personality for the fictitious town, why not take it a step further and create a whole county to locate the layout in?...

Perhaps because choosing a fictional town in a real county or area gives you a basis for much of your modelling. For example, believable landscape, geology, soils, architectural styles, etc. Even so, the name of the county impinges little on anything to do with the railway, so why invent an imaginary one? Unless perhaps you wish to model the county town with its county hall or, as you mention, a fictitious bus company.

Personally, I prefer to model real locations, though I admit to inventing the imaginary bi-lingual republic of Nirgendwo/Nessun Luogo for my H0/H0e layout. I even needed to significantly change existing national boundaries to situate it where Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland 'meet'.

Nick

I remember years ago there was an O Gauge layout entitled South Riding. It was essentially a very impressive urban terminus in a shed, with a long return loop outside. I believe the engines included an A3 a V2 and even a A4, and because of the urban setting they didn't look out of place, though the space utilised was small and I think trains were 3 or 4 coaches.

Fantastic thread this!

I've just Wikied to find out that I can utilise obsolete counties Teviotdale, Tweeddale and Ettrick Forest. (At the northern end, Millerhill would be in the Shire of Haddington).

Each of which has been used in one form or another to administer or subdue the populace down the centuries, sufficient to support my Borders fiction.

By the same token I might even coin Liddesdale as a viable sister county, to glower across the river at Cumberland.

Similarly I’ve been thinking of a layout based in the UK but with the loading gauge of the USA... Think about it.... big GE diesels carrying names like “Santa Fe and Great Western” (or "Norfolk Southern and Southern” or "CSXGE“) hauling huge  mile long double-stacks of containers.....

Hopefully a pipe dream....

Best, Pete.

I think in a mid/late 90s continental modeller I have gathering dust is an N layout of a small made up European country. If I remember right, it was on the borders of Austria, Germany, and the Czech republic so featured international trains from a variety of European countries plus it's own fictional domestic stock. Seemed a good idea to me.

Similarly I’ve been thinking of a layout based in the UK but with the loading gauge of the USA... Think about it.... big GE diesels carrying names like “Santa Fe and Great Western” (or "Norfolk Southern and Southern” or "CSXGE“) hauling huge  mile long double-stacks of containers.....

Best, Pete.

Well "Great Northern" would be suitable for both, and Ireland as an added bonus - even the added incentive of a couple of Tågab (Swedish) locos thrown in for good measure!

Best, Pete.

I've seen a picture of a model truck from the "Northern &Soufolk" company, the fleet livery was black with white titles!

There are the possibilities of many historic counties, i.e. Kesteven or the Soke of Peterborough, or you could use the locations of many Bishops palaces for the Shires - i.e. Newarkshire

Archived