List of engine and unit axle loadings

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Does anyone have, orknow where to find, a list of the axle loadings for each class of loco and D/EMU? I am planing a layout with a weight restriction of some sort so I need to know what I can allow on it. I'm assuming that a class 08 has quite a low axle load, as that will be the main motive power. But I also need a couple of units and it would be nice to have to odd visiting engine, maybe a class 20 or 37.

• RMweb Gold

The various volumes of the Network Rail Sectional Appendix, available for download from their website, doesn't give the actual axle loadings but tells you the Route Availability classification for each section of line and the classes of locomotives and multiple units allowed or prohibited. If you are looking to model a particular location in modern form it is an essential reference, as it also gives gauge clearance details for freight wagons.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. I'm not actually modelling a real place. I'm planing to build a micro layout which will be very limited space wise. So the only way I can impose enough self discipline is to make an axle weight limit and stick to it. I'm imagining it's a harbour branch with a weak bridge.

Axle weight wasn't the only thing to limit what locos went were. As thesignalengineer said the RA of a loco would take into account the axle weight of a loco as to whether a loco could go over a certain bit of track but the was also the loading gauge to take into account and also the track, tight curves and pointwork as well as clearances buildings, loading platforms and other yard furniture and the various locos. Even to the degree that a certain class of loco might have been allowed in a yard but be banned over a particular siding because the minimum radius of the curve of the siding was to sharp or the overhang of the loco could catch nearby structures.  

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Even to the degree that a certain class of loco might have been allowed in a yard but be banned over a particular siding because the minimum radius of the curve of the siding was to sharp or the overhang of the loco could catch nearby structures.  

a good example of that is plat 2 in chester, that used to be banned for class 175 units until a few years back, similarly iirc the parcels bay is still banned for 158s, possibly to do with the plug doors as the platform is slightly higher than the norm

weight wise you can also get a scenario where sub classes of loco are banned on a route, the heart of wales line for example is cleared for 37/4 but not 37/7, on the cambrian there are even restrictions on certain locos Within a sub class, 20301-305 werent subject to any weight restrictions however 20306-31X (the highest number escapes me!) had restrictions imposed due to the extra fuel tank in the nose end fitted by RFS

in the real world you need a RT3973HAW form for over weight loads, i use one on the coal job i do, there are a number of restrictions when working it, mainly between nuneaton and toton where i have to go over certain structures at a reduced speed, infact from nuneaton to the A5 bridge near hinkley is 30mph loaded and the remainder of the route to wigston is 50mph (as opposed to 60 normally loaded) with a few 20 and 30mph bridges thrown in for good measure!

• RMweb Gold

i've just found out that class 70s are banned between aylesbury and aylesbury jn, a whole 4 chains!

i can only think it must be the curvature of the line coming from risborough rather than the axle weight, it has kind of put a spanner in the works for my job next week though!

Hi all,

Does anyone have, orknow where to find, a list of the axle loadings for each class of loco and D/EMU? I am planing a layout with a weight restriction of some sort so I need to know what I can allow on it. I'm assuming that a class 08 has quite a low axle load, as that will be the main motive power. But I also need a couple of units and it would be nice to have to odd visiting engine, maybe a class 20 or 37.

To go back to your original post class 08s (with Route Availability RA5) were used pretty much all over the system, there were one or two routes where they were restricted which was one reason class 03s (RA1) lasted longer in some parts of the country. In Bristol two 03s were used on the Avonside Branch though later I think the trackwork in the sidings was upgraded  as later the branch was worked by class 08s.

Class 20s at 73 tonnes were RA5 so had a wide availability in their sphere of operations, often down poorly maintained freight only branches to collieries for example.

Class 37/0s were 105 tonnes and also RA5, you might like to make the restriction that the rebuilt and heavier class 37/7s and 37/9s at 120 tonnes were not permitted on your layout,

cheers 

i've just found out that class 70s are banned between aylesbury and aylesbury jn, a whole 4 chains!

i can only think it must be the curvature of the line coming from risborough rather than the axle weight, it has kind of put a spanner in the works for my job next week though!

Can't you just steer round it ? ;)

Archived