Ely & District MRC Exhibition (Sat 17th May 2014)

andykwilkinson

On Saturday 17th May 2014 Ely & District MRC will be holding our 36th annual exhibition.

The exhibition is at Ely College, located on the north-western side of Ely.

As usual, there will be some live steam outside and lots of interesting layouts and traders to come and see inside in two large halls - the main hall and the gym - see drop down menus on the Club website for details of who is attending.

Doors open at 10.30AM and much more information is available on our Club website:  www.elymrc.org.uk

I think it worth mentioning that our much loved OO layout Thurston, closely based on the prototype near Bury St Edmunds, will be at the show for what might well be its very last time at a show in East Anglia.

So if you want to see this layout (and lots of other great layouts) then you'd better make tracks for Ely on Sat 17th May!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm away for this weekend so no chance for me but if anyone is visiting by train the Saturday 'liners are diverted via Ely so plenty to see at the station too.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/XYE/2014/05/17/0800-1800?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

The STPs at 11:30 and 14:01 are GBRF hauled engineering trains. The diverts are the VAR paths.

Don't shoot me if it all changes but enjoy the trains and the show.

OK, up early as I'm off to collect the extra long wheelbase Sprinter van I've hired.  We need to collect the CMRA tables and barriers from Welwyn (and Thurston from our local Lock-up) and take that lot to City of Ely Community College in preparation for setting up this afternoon/evening.

Going to be a very busy day but the weather looks promising and we hope to see lots of you at the show tomorrow! :no:

Back from Welwyn and I see The Ely Standard is giving us some publicity too.  :no:

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/popular_annual_model_rail_exhibition_returns_to_ely_1_3603823

By the way, Thurston has one or two more show invites in the next 12 months or so.  It's just that this may be the last time its seen in its native East Anglia.  Newpapers never get the facts right! (The Ely Weekly News printed the wrong exhibition entry prices last week - but have now corrected that - phew!)

As of mid-evening Friday we have a number of superb layouts set up ahead of tomorrow's  show...but not as many as were planned.

Due (yet again!) to a "major bridge strike" at Ely Station/underpass this afternoon the roads around here have been gridlocked....Fortunately, it seems it was not one of our visiting Exhibitors in a hired van. :stinker:

We've heard that some of our exhibitors (who have been stuck in a huge traffic jam - especially from the Newmarket direction) will now be setting up very early on Saturday morning instead.

Please listen Mr English Heritage - We need that bypass and we need it NOW - living with the second most hit railway bridge in the UK in our vicinity is no fun for any of us in Ely!   Anyway, rant over.

Come Saturday morning it will all be over and all will be fine for the show I'm sure. And for those late arriving Exhibitors don't forget that bacon rolls (provided by the Ely College kitchen staff at a modest cost) will be available until about 9.00AM tomorrow on a first come first served basis. :no:

Sorry. :stinker:    Kitchen staff at Ely College can't do them during the show itself as the two of them (that are available today) have to cook about 70 lunches for all our lovely Exhibitors.

We do have lots of sandwiches (will be freshly made today) and lovely home made cakes on offer at our Café in the Main Hall.  We are told we price our food, tea, coffee, bottled water, Kit-Kats, Crips etc. etc. very reasonably too!

See some of you later!

All was ab fab today, :locomotive:  loads of people considering the weather and the bacon butties were bigger that they were last year. I managed to serve up loads of tea and coffees all the cake was scoffed and I even got so excited I had a nose bleed too ! the organising comittee did a spiffing job , and look forward to next year ! :sungum:

Archived