Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Woodsville NH

Very nice job scratchbuilding something as delicate and complicated as a lower quadrant train order board!

Are you going to be adding the other boards? (they may have been gone from the prototype at the time you're modeling, I'm not sure)

Marty

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.  The only other signal we have spotted on photos was on the southern approach about half a mile or so from the depot.  Not seen any other order boards at all although I have wondered how orders were passed to trains from the south that were continuing farther north.  Perhaps they just HAD to stop at Woodsville before proceeding to Wells River or St Johnsbury.  There may also have been signals for the junction of the Berlin Branch which in reality was a mile or two south of the station.  However, as we have the branch diverging directly from the station area then this isn't really of concern to us.

Magnificent work! I have several pix of the local SP (Oceano) preserved trainboard and rods if they would be of help.

Andy

Thanks for the commment and for the offer Andy - but I think I've seen enough TO signals for the time being!

The switchstands are based on photos in the Morning Sun B&M book that covers the Woodsville area.  Geoff made a guesstimation of the heights etc. relative to people standing nearby etc.  We're not sure if these are a dedicated B&M design but they are different to the ones at Wells River which are CV (I think ?).

Edited by 5050

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.  The only other signal we have spotted on photos was on the southern approach about half a mile or so from the depot.  Not seen any other order boards at all although I have wondered how orders were passed to trains from the south that were continuing farther north.  Perhaps they just HAD to stop at Woodsville before proceeding to Wells River or St Johnsbury.  There may also have been signals for the junction of the Berlin Branch which in reality was a mile or two south of the station.  However, as we have the branch diverging directly from the station area then this isn't really of concern to us.

Thanks for the commment and for the offer Andy - but I think I've seen enough TO signals for the time being!

The switchstands are based on photos in the Morning Sun B&M book that covers the Woodsville area.  Geoff made a guesstimation of the heights etc. relative to people standing nearby etc.  We're not sure if these are a dedicated B&M design but they are different to the ones at Wells River which are CV (I think ?).

Wells River wouldn't have been CV - they could have been CP or (more likely) Barre & Chelsea (previously the Montpelier & Wells River.)

I was referring to the other blade in the lower quadrant train order board - they're were usually two blades - one for each direction of travel.

see this for an O scale model of a B&M lower quad.

http://www.crowriverproducts.com/AA-LowerQuadrantO30.htm

Wells River wouldn't have been CV - they could have been CP or (more likely) Barre & Chelsea (previously the Montpelier & Wells River.)

I was referring to the other blade in the lower quadrant train order board - they're were usually two blades - one for each direction of travel.

see this for an O scale model of a B&M lower quad.

http://www.crowriverproducts.com/AA-LowerQuadrantO30.htm

Right, I see what you mean.  Even in photos of the 'old' building (pre '21) they are still single sided.

post-807-0-64235000-1403801044.jpg

I think the time may be right to explain a little of the concept behind this layout.

Our colleague Bob has an excellent collection of Boston and Maine stock and in one of those 'moments of madness' I suggested that it would be a good idea to build an exhibition layout so that we could give it a run. Surprisingly he thought this was a good idea and Woodsville was born.

So the brief was for a layout that would (hopefully) be quick and easy to erect and dismantle, compact to transport and store and yet offer some operational interest to entertain the public and prevent us being bored.

The size of the layout was determined so that it could be erected in our garage for test running etc, and that is where the photographs have been taken so far, but the layout frontage can also be erected in the operating well of our Dewsbury P4/S4 layout in the railway room (just visible through the door in the photographs) for construction.

Added to this we accepted a couple of exhibition invitations (Halifax and Wakefield) this year.  So far we are on programme to meet the deadlines but the timescales have meant that little or no time has been available for lengthy research. Paul has carried out most of the research for the buildings, although some compromises have had to be made due to space constraints. My research has been confined mainly to the Jim Shaughnessy article in the Spring 2014 Classic Trains and the switch stands have been 'guesstimated' from the excellent photographs in the article.

So we certainly cannot claim our 'Woodsville' is an accurate model of Woodsville N.H; we have taken liberties with the track layout and introduced industries for operational interest, but we hope we will have captured a feel of the place and aim to have a good time exhibiting it. 

• Like 2

Please don't read my comments as criticism.

I for one, think the layout is kind of neat. Considering you're half a century and a ocean away from your prototype I think you're doing great with it. It's certainly recognizable to anyone familiar with the prototype.

I know it's far more legit looking than say, a British outline layout that I'd build.

Marty

• RMweb Gold

Shades of Paul Dolkos - one of my major influences ever since his 1986 Model Railroader article on the B&M..

Good luck with the project - if it ever gets to a show "down south" I have some decent B&M stock with nowhere to run at the moment!

Chris

Please don't read my comments as criticism.

I for one, think the layout is kind of neat. Considering you're half a century and a ocean away from your prototype I think you're doing great with it. It's certainly recognizable to anyone familiar with the prototype.

I know it's far more legit looking than say, a British outline layout that I'd build.

Marty

Not at all Marty.  In fact, quite the opposite.  Any constructive comments and helpful information will always be well received.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of photos taken today showing some progress on the scenic side.

First, an overhead view of the woodchip plant and what will be an agricultural merchants.  The Berlin branch is the line nearer the outside of the board and is climbing slightly to give some differentiation with the main line.

post-807-0-68996600-1405010447.jpg

Next, the other 'White River Junction' end with the houses and dairy.

post-807-0-06475500-1405010466.jpg

Switchstands, crossing bucks etc. installed and some more 'wilder' shrubbery grown.

My next job is painting the main depot building.  GTi is finishing off an oil/fuel unloading point which will be placed between the agricultural merchants and the main building.  I foresee some interesting switching moves!

• Like 8

Hi there,

That's looking really nice indeed, I love those flowing curves!

May I ask please?

Those three houses at the far end of the board (2nd photo) - whose are they? I had a couple just like them and always wanted more, until they accidentally got destroyed!

Cheers,

John E.

Hi there,

May I ask please?

Those three houses at the far end of the board (2nd photo) - whose are they? I had a couple just like them and always wanted more, until they accidentally got destroyed!

Cheers,

John E.

I can't remember! I didn't buy them - but I'm sure GTi will remember.

Won't he?

Hi there,

May I ask please?

Cheers,

John E.

Good Evening!

Nice layout!

Will you be adding some trees next to the houses by the crossing?

I think this might be the houses your looking for http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/195-111

Cheers

Jacques

Good Evening!

Nice layout!

Will you be adding some trees next to the houses by the crossing?

I think this might be the houses your looking for http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/195-111

Cheers

Jacques

Yes, those are the ones.  Thanks for this and for your comments.

Trees are 'on order' from our local 'arboriculturalist', Charles.  Nothing to big though.  We've looked at photos from the locality and most of the general trees seem quite low in height.

The 'plan' at the moment is to try and get at least the basic scenery in place for Halifax and then develop it over the following weeks.

Edited by 5050

Allegheny1600 -  Jacques is correct !

The houses are City Classics and came as a three pack. I found them very satisfying to build but I passed them over to Bob for painting.

We have some trees on order from our local tree builder and intend to 'plant' some in that corner, although we have yet to decide the final arrangement.

A couple of photos taken today showing some progress on the scenic side.

Next, the other 'White River Junction' end with the houses and dairy.

attachicon.gifWhite River end 10 July 14.A.jpg

My next job is painting the main depot building.  GTi is finishing off an oil/fuel unloading point which will be placed between the agricultural merchants and the main building.  I foresee some interesting switching moves!

While painting, put some dark paint on the check (guard) rails and the wing rail tips too. Makes a huge difference in track appearance, for very little work..

Andy

Allegheny1600 -  Jacques is correct !

The houses are City Classics and came as a three pack. I found them very satisfying to build but I passed them over to Bob for painting.

We have some trees on order from our local tree builder and intend to 'plant' some in that corner, although we have yet to decide the final arrangement.

Snap!

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of shots taken just before I went on holiday.  Nothing major, just gradual development of the basic scenery plus the Oil Depot (basically an 'adapted' Knightwing) and the beginnings of painting the main Depot building.  This is now virtually completed, just need to attach the windows and weather it.

post-807-0-47276500-1407189593_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-83209800-1407189656_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-51682900-1407189681_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Paul,

That depot is imposing, is it scratch built? Geoff's switchstands look the part in the yard as we'll.

Nick

Very scratchbuilt!  The building still exists in Woodsville as shops and offices and can easily be seen on Google Earth.  However, it's a bit far away to pop out and measure it so a fair bit of 'guesstimation' has been involved!  You can see it in earlier phases in previous posts.  The main body is 40thou plasticard and planked Evergreen with Ratio 2mm slates to represent the small shingles that the prototype walls are clad with.  Still a bit overscale but the best I could find in the UK.   Windows are North Eastern as I couldn't find Grantline at the time.  It's made in 4 sections - ground floor, canopy, 2nd and 3rd floors and roof.  This make it a bit easier to paint and fit the windows.

Here's another shot which shows the ground floor detailing a bit better.  The bottom panelled half is painted dark green along with the roof supports and the window frames.  The shingles and plain walls are light grey.

post-807-0-66280700-1407257758_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Today we have had the layout fully erected in the garage and managed to try the light fittings (all OK), general running (generally OK) and had a start on the planned schedule (needs a bit of work!).  We also trial fitted some figures and road vehicles to get an impression of how it will eventually appear.  All in all, everything was acceptable given that it is the first time we've been able to do this.  We will need another session to iron out the very minor bugs and hopefully all will be good for our first show at Halifax at the end of the month.

Details of the Halifax show here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89840-halifax-model-railway-exhibition-2014-2728-september/

Come along and see us and make yourselves known if you've followed the thread so far.

Here are some photos taken today.

Firstly, under erection showing the sub-frame and folding leg assembly.

post-807-0-58874800-1409859469_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-19508600-1409859490_thumb.jpg

A general view down the layout looking 'west' to White River Junction and/or St. Johnsbury.

post-807-0-14679800-1409859517_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-95224200-1409859547_thumb.jpg

The main depot and REA building.

post-807-0-29589400-1409859597_thumb.jpg

The general dealers store which has rail access at the rear.

post-807-0-35009200-1409859624_thumb.jpg

Looking 'east' to either Berlin (via the branch) or Boston.  The main sorting yard and loco depot are also in this direction which provides plenty of freight working and light engine movements.

post-807-0-30826300-1409859653_thumb.jpg

post-807-0-33740500-1409859779_thumb.jpg

Another 'west' view with a freight for White River.

post-807-0-71149700-1409859729_thumb.jpg

There is plenty of scope for interesting train movements - so far we are barely scratching the surface of the potential!

• Like 4

Today we have had the layout fully erected in the garage and managed to try the light fittings (all OK), general running (generally OK) and had a start on the planned schedule (needs a bit of work!).  We also trial fitted some figures and road vehicles to get an impression of how it will eventually appear.  All in all, everything was acceptable given that it is the first time we've been able to do this.  We will need another session to iron out the very minor bugs and hopefully all will be good for our first show at Halifax at the end of the month.

Details of the Halifax show here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89840-halifax-model-railway-exhibition-2014-2728-september/

Come along and see us and make yourselves known if you've followed the thread so far.

Here are some photos taken today.

Firstly, under erection showing the sub-frame and folding leg assembly.

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.1.JPG

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.2.JPG

A general view down the layout looking 'west' to White River Junction and/or St. Johnsbury.

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.9.JPG

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.16.JPG

The main depot and REA building.

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.10.JPG

The general dealers store which has rail access at the rear.

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.15.JPG

Looking 'east' to either Berlin (via the branch) or Boston.  The main sorting yard and loco depot are also in this direction which provides plenty of freight working and light engine movements.

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.21.JPG

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.20.JPG

Another 'west' view with a freight for White River.

attachicon.gifWoodsville Layout 4 Sept 2014.22.JPG

There is plenty of scope for interesting train movements - so far we are barely scratching the surface of the potential!

Looking good and looking forward to seeing it at the Wakefield Show in late November

• 3 weeks later...

We've had the layout fully erected in the Wakefield clubrooms for 3 days this week to allow us a chance to paint the board edges etc. and - most importantly - to try an initial run-through of the sequence.  This was, shall we say, a very interesting experience - and well worth doing!  Basically it was a sound plan and should create some interesting moves but it threw up several 'blips' relating to positioning of stock which (I think) we have now sorted.  We'll have to wait until next weekend at Halifax to find out!

This time next week we'll be well into it!

See you there?

• 2 weeks later...

I've now recovered from the exhibiting experience that was Halifax and can report that, considering it was the first time out and and the first time that we had attempted a full sequence, it wasn't TO bad.  The layout travelled well, went up and down easily, worked electrically from the off and looked OK.  In operation, we discovered anomalies in the operating sequence which can be ironed out relatively easily but we did have a problem with the electrical aspect of turnout operation.  The microswitches positioned at the ends of the push-rods were springing back and breaking contact thus causing shorts and switching the DCC system off.  Once we realised what was causing the problem we were able to hold the rods in against the spring as the loco passed over but an alternative system is required.  This may well mean the use of small slide switches instead but we need to have a trial before committing ourselves.  We need to have it sorted for Wakefield Exhibition last weekend of November so we have 2 months which SHOULD see us right!  Otherwise, it all worked OK.

Here is a shot of 'The Team' proudly standing behind the layout prior to the opening.

post-807-0-52753700-1412093878_thumb.jpg

Link to Wakefield Exhibition thread -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/41-exhibitions/

Edited by 5050
  • Like 3

I'm not aware of your construction details, but If you are talking about frog power switching, might I suggest using small neodymium magnets on the end of the rods and either reed switches or hall effect chips to detect the position 100% reliably . In either case an inexpensive power relay (1 UKP or so) operated from them will give you the required SPDT function at full DCC amps.

Andy