Free Canadian Pacific Octagonal Water Tower "kit"

JCL

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I was looking through my hard drive and found a kit that I put together for myself of a Canadian Pacific octagonal insulated water tower. I originally made the kit in card, and had a large format printer, so the kit is on 10.5 x 13.5" paper. The textures for the sides came from photos of the original in Cranbrook, British Columbia, as are the doors, windows and signs. The sides I couldn't photograph without trespassing on the railway have been replicated from the others. For the life of me I can't remember where I got the roof from. I'd assumed it would be shingled, but apparently it was slated.

This is the original:

post-14192-0-41247400-1398822122_thumb.jpg

And here's my version:

post-14192-0-46174300-1398822570.jpg

I haven't included the cupola at the top of the building as shown below, but if anyone wants to try putting this together and wants this done then I'm happy to do it. Just pm me and I'll add it to this thread.

post-14192-0-13329900-1398822119_thumb.jpg

Just click on the file and save it. To make the building I just printed to card, butt joined the twp sets of walls and used some tape to glue them together, then I used the octagonal template to make two foamboard octagonal shapes, one was used at the bottom and one at the top of the tower. I then glued the sides to the octagons, made up the roof and put it on top. Finally I added the window frames, doors, etc. The original water tower in Cranbrook does not have the water "spout" so it isn't included here.

post-14192-0-85542700-1398823437_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-48839100-1398823431_thumb.jpg

post-14192-0-48843800-1398823426_thumb.jpg

There is some history of the building here: http://www.crowsnest.bc.ca/cmrt/watertower.html

I hope this is useful to someone.

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, seems I can't post full size images, the forum reduces the number of pixels they contain. If anyone want the full size plans, pm me with your email address and I'll forward them to you.

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I tried, but for some reason they come out at 9MB, about three times the file size of the jpgs (even before RMWeb crunches them further)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks very much. It's an imposing looking thing. It's so good that they preserved it considering the mess they made of the station!

Archived