Bachman DCC Cl 37

Bon Accord

Have just come into possession of  Bachy 37 fitted with DCC and sound (my first sound loco). I don't have a DCC controller as yet, but I wanted to give it a quick run around my analogue test track just to ensure the mechanism is working ok, trouble is it's not doing anything. I have had a couple of DCC fitted models in the past and they ran no problem, albeit somewhat slugglishly from a start.

Now this 37 isn't doing anything at all, and I notice that amongst the detailing bag of bits supplied is a chip of some kind - does that have to be fitted and is it related to why the loco isn't moving? The instructions don't seem terribly clear.

Hello. The "chip of some kind" is a blanking plug, if you swap this for the fitted decoder you will then have a 12v DCC ready loco which will run on your analogue system. The reason it isn't working at the moment is because one of the CV's needs altering to work on DC, but if you don't have a DCC controller you can't do this. Regards.

Hi Jim. That 'chip' thingy in the pack is a blanking plug that you can fit in place of the decoder to convert the loco to plain dc. It is possible to turn off the ability to run on dcc by cv changes (and recommended by many, I never bother!) so this may have been done. But you would need access to a DCC kit that can read/change cv's to set it back. hth. Kev.

Edit - curses, pipped to the post!!!!

Jim,

The decoder has to be set up (using DCC) with the correct values in CV29 to enable running on DC. Usually this is done before sending out as a default status, but not always.

The 'chip' you found is not a decoder, it is a blanking plug which is fitted to dcc ready locos when there is no decoder fitted.

If you can't get access to a DCDC controller, remove the loco body, carefully remove the sound decoder and replace with the blanking plug. Your loco will now operate on analogue, but obviously no sound until you refit the decoder.

Might be simpler to wait until you can get access to a DCC system.

If this is indeed the problem (ie not something seriously wrong with your loco or the hardware), add 4 to the existing value in CV29.  

Kind regards,

Paul

daltonparva, Kev, Pal,

Many thanks for the above.

DCC is a new learning curve for me, I had assumed that like other DCC fitted (but not sound fitted) locos it would run just the same out of the box on analogue and I began to wonder if sound was an extra complication.

Gentlemen,

As an update I've now exchanged decoder with blanking plate and the loco is now running around on test quite happily, many thanks again for your help.

Note to Bachmann - try and make the instructions less generic, ideally with proper diagrams!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Welcome aboard Daltonparva. Don't worry once that first posts out the way you'll be on here all the time.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi, Marcus 37, I have to agree, that after the first post, it does seem to become ever so slightly addictive! :D  Not forgetting to add a welcome of my own to daltonparva. :)

All the best,

Market65.

Archived